Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Weather reporting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Rate This

Re: Weather reporting

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:25 pm

jsf wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:24 pm
To top off weather talk I turn on Channel 7 Saturday evening and who's doing the weather but Chris Edwards.
Well… I guess he’s still part time…. Very cool.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:39 pm

Thanks for that info, jsf.

I'll have to watch now at 10p or 11p tonight. Always good seeing him.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:39 pm
Thanks for that info, jsf.

I'll have to watch now at 10p or 11p tonight. Always good seeing him.
I get that late 80’s TV Weather vibe watching him… kinda wish we had more like that still around to be honest. I know he’s been around forever but does anyone know when he started in the market? I know it goes back as far as 2 being a CBS affiliate…

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:31 am

Wood TV said that Wed wasn't going to be a sure thing with the severe thunderstorms thought it could be a bust on the west side of the state it was a bust other than the rain & the thunderstorms and the future cast did show that the line was going to bow out in the central and east side of the state. Glad that the east side didn't get late night/early morning thunderstorms I was glad that they weakened when they came in other the border of MI/IN that looked pretty nasty they did issue a warning on the border and Van Buren County. The rain & storms stopped at around 3AM or 3:30AM more lighting than thunder which wasn't all that loud.

WWMT was right that the storms would be coming in around 12AM late last night/early morning on Sat Wood did give short updates when the storms came in on the border & Van Buren County the others followed on Van Buren as well other than WWMT they didn't cut in like the others did at 12AM. I was kinda surprised that NWS didn't issue the watch say at 10PM or 11PM that they waited until 12AM to issue the watch. Does that come from the local NWS office or does the watch get issued in Norman OK? I know warnings come from the local NWS office.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:10 am

Amazes me the second wave of storms dissipated even though most stations said it was a “sure thing”.

It’s science ….. but also it’s “educated guesswork based on computer models”.

So…. Loved when they would go “we are the most accurate—— GUARANTEED!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:31 pm

Fox 2 did a pretty solid job with this system.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:25 am

Honestly, the people who did the best at not overhyping the storm was the Michigan Weather Authority Facebook group. They along with the storm prediction center said last Wednesday was enhanced risk with likely tornadoes(1 or 2), and we had 2. They said a slight risk for Friday into Saturday morning with heavy rain.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:29 pm

All week the folks at 2, 4, 7 have been calling for sunny or partly cloudy skies today.

I’ve seen nothing but thick clouds all day. With all of the moisture in the air the last several days, it’s not a surprise that they are wrong.

We had an abnornally sunny stretch for the Nov. 1 - Dec. 21 time period. Looks like that is just a memory now…

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:24 pm

BKRPDM wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:29 pm
All week the folks at 2, 4, 7 have been calling for sunny or partly cloudy skies today.

I’ve seen nothing but thick clouds all day. With all of the moisture in the air the last several days, it’s not a surprise that they are wrong.

We had an abnormally sunny stretch for the Nov. 1 - Dec. 21 time period. Looks like that is just a memory now…
I was thinking the same thing. Every day since Monday they have said "It's gonna be nice tomorrow".
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

New2You

Post by New2You » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:04 pm

BKRPDM wrote:
CBS seems to be the only one that got it right. They've had clouds for today since Monday.
You may want to stop watching the legacy stations.
I do wish our mets here did better with timing like the others however.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:35 am

BKRPDM wrote:

We had an abnornally sunny stretch for the Nov. 1 - Dec. 21 time period. Looks like that is just a memory now…
They were wrong about Wednesday, too, I believe.

The Weather Channel / Google widget has performed abysmally at forecasting cloud cover over the past ten days.

I was on the west side of the state much of Saturday. Glorious partly cloudy skies there much of the day. 😎

Didn't see breaks in the clouds as I drove until I reached central Ingham County.

We should finally see some decent sunshine on Tuesday around here for a few hours.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:45 am

It seems to happen frequently this time of the year. We get a lot of overly optimistic forecasts in terms of sun.

For tomorrow, I bet we won’t get more than an hour or two of sun at sunrise, then get into thick clouds by noon.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:18 am

Where is this heavy snow our local stations have been hyping? So far it's just rain and wet pavement at least Downriver and western Wayne.

WJR is still pushing heavy snow as I type this. Renee Vitale obviously just rips and reads.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:38 am

The heavy snow from this system will be 100 to 250 miles from Metro Detroit. Minor slushy accumulations are possible around here. Areas near and west of US 23 could see a couple inches of yucky wet snow. I'm more worried about potential ponding issues from the rain to come, although that risk seems to be lower than what the models were suggesting 36 to 72 hours ago. Some areas will see some unpleasant wind gusts from this system.

The weekend system is more interesting. A massive pool of Arctic air will pour into the region by early next week. We will see our coldest temperatures for daytime highs in at least a couple years in all probability.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:57 am

Sleeting at my house right now. Didn't see any mention of ice pellets in anyone's forecast for today.

I am skeptical that the mercury will reach the low 40s during daylight hours today. Might reach 40 right before sundown. Mildest temps will probably occur this evening.

Edit: WXYZ online shows a "wintry mix" for today, so I stand corrected regarding my first paragraph!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic