Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

93.1 has one of the worst "country" music playlists I've ever seen

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
zzand

Re: 93.1 has one of the worst "country" music playlists I've ever seen

Post by zzand » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:12 am

Tater that's Texas Country and it doesn't play well outside of the state. Texas Country has it's own charts and there are both types of country stations in the state.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:28 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:28 am
MrTaterSalad wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:28 pm
SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:52 am
Contemporary country music is perhaps among the worst genres with absolutely zero creativity and zero effort. I find it amazing that anyone that likes country music actually listens to that garbage.
I can't see Billy Strings playing north of the Ohio River.
Lansing Michigan's own Billy Strings!

Taco

Post by Taco » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:11 am

I just can't listen to current country music. In fact a lot of it sounds a LOT less country than it did in the 80's and 90's. I'm 46 and I detest the new stuff. Country radio is pretty much unrecognizable to me. At least back in the day I knew pretty much all the songs I heard and it was fun.

Aside from all this, as much as I dislike SXM's business practices, at least they have alternatives which cater to my listening needs. Commercial radio is all about the money, and not necessarily about what people want to hear. I think a lot of radio listeners have or felt alienated by local radio at one point or another. I do have a free trial of SXM in my Equinox and I subscribe through the app in the Android store. Once the trial expires I'm not renewing. I'll just use Android Car play or Bluetooth with the SXM app on my S23+. At leas this way I don't have to worry about being on the phone for 45 minutes to cancel.
stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:22 pm
Taco wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:05 am
I use the iHeartRadio app and listen to 80's and 90's country...which are largely ignored in most markets. Nowadays it's all newer stuff that I am not interested in. I feel the GenX demographic is largely ignored.
Be more honest.
30 year old boomers were the ones listening to the songs you're talking about.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:02 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:28 pm
SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:52 am
Contemporary country music is perhaps among the worst genres with absolutely zero creativity and zero effort. I find it amazing that anyone that likes country music actually listens to that garbage.
I love country music and detest what modern, mainstream country radio and the artists it plays (minus Miranda Lambert and Chris Stapleton) have become. Artists the likes of Florida-Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Sam Hunt and their same song choices about trucks, tanlines, backroads, and beer have ruined a once enjoyable radio format. I love the modern country music but you won't find almost any of what I enjoy on the radio. Besides KOKE-FM in Austin, TX, no one is playing Billy Strings, Jason Isbell, Margo Price, Sturgill Simpson, Turnpike Troubadours, Tyler Childers, etc. It would be awesome if corporate radio had the guts to think outside the box and try something different with 93.1 like KOKE's format, but alas we're stuck with a station on autopilot, playing the very worst of modern, mainstream country over and over.
Funnily enough, the one station around here that I've heard play Jason Isbell and Sturgill Simpson isn't even a country station - it's 107-1 WQKL.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:13 pm

Taco wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:11 am
I just can't listen to current country music. In fact a lot of it sounds a LOT less country than it did in the 80's and 90's. I'm 46 and I detest the new stuff. Country radio is pretty much unrecognizable to me. At least back in the day I knew pretty much all the songs I heard and it was fun.
I live in northern Washtenaw County and when I tune to 93.7 FM, I sometimes can't tell at first listen whether I'm hearing B93 or Club 93-7, if B93 happens to be playing Sham Hunt (not a typo) or Walker Hayes. Even 98.3 Nash Icon, the closest thing to a true country sound in southeast MI that isn't all-classic, plays more of the garbage than I care for.
It's not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago since we've had more artists like Jon Pardi, Ashley McBryde and Lainey Wilson breaking through who are at least recognizable as country music. As much as I loathe Morgan Wallen, even some of his songs are not terrible. But it's becoming more and more obvious with artists like Kane Brown and Maren Morris that they're just using country music as a step to pop stardom. At least Taylor Swift was eventually honest about it and went all the way to pop.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:13 pm
Taco wrote:
I live in northern Washtenaw County and when I tune to 93.7 FM, I sometimes can't tell at first listen whether I'm hearing B93 or Club 93-7, if B93 happens to be playing Sham Hunt (not a typo) or Walker Hayes. Even 98.3 Nash Icon, the closest thing to a true country sound in southeast MI that isn't all-classic, plays more of the garbage than I care for.
It's not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago since we've had more artists like Jon Pardi, Ashley McBryde and Lainey Wilson breaking through who are at least recognizable as country music. As much as I loathe Morgan Wallen, even some of his songs are not terrible. But it's becoming more and more obvious with artists like Kane Brown and Maren Morris that they're just using country music as a step to pop stardom. At least Taylor Swift was eventually honest about it and went all the way to pop.
That seems to be a phenomenon with all sorts of contemporary radio formats. Rock, country, pop, urban...you just can't tell when one song ends and the next begins. I really wish that would change. Every song sounds just like the last no matter what type of music you are listening to.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Taco

Post by Taco » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:29 am

The current country music format is dead to me. It will never, ever be like it was in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:36 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:13 pm
Taco wrote:
Yeah Country music is sometimes to hard to tell these days. While I'm not the biggest fan of Wallen because of his slur, some of his songs have country elements like "Sand in My Boots" while others like "You Proof" and "Wasted on You" sound more like club songs, ditto with Thomas Rhett's music. Then you have Hunt and Hayes who have songs that have very little country elements. What's interesting is both Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan both started out country but then experimented with R&B and pop beats. Nash Icon would be better if the newer hits were more of the traditional style.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:40 pm

Well stated!

I cannot stand "Wasted on You."
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Ohio_Quebecois

Post by Ohio_Quebecois » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:12 am

I think it was Vince Gill who said "country always comes back to itself". I think that's largely true, and I think it needs to start hustling back. This stuff is flaming garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic