Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2023 predictions

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radioandtventhusiast

2023 predictions

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:15 pm

What are your predictions for Detroit radio and TV in 2023?

Marcus

Re: 2023 predictions

Post by Marcus » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:43 pm

On TV I can see PBS 56/MyNet 38/Ion 31/CW 50 applying for a shared NextGen or ATSC 3.0 signal. This will bring the total 1080p channels up from 4 to 8.

The new CRTC rules regarding the number of radio stations in one band will result in changes with some AM to FM flips being one of them. CKNX and CHOK will be FM only on a full powered signal. Sarnia has 103.3 and 104.7 while Wingham has 96.1 and a second transmitter can go where CIBU-1 is right now. CFCO might be the one to hang on to their AM. 1290 CJBK in London might also try to use 91.1 FM as a replacement. I can see that becoming Move 91.1

Bell Media will attempt to buy a Blackburn FM property in Windsor so they can replace AM 580.

Detroit radio ? This is one of the few attempts I'll make at that. The main FM broadcasts will not change much beyond a tweak in some of their playlists. At least one more AM will either flip or go silent. This does not include WUFL 1030 (we know about that one)
HD-2 and HD-3's are where the format shuffles will happen.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:46 pm

A couple are obvious but here goes..

1. 1030am WUFL will flip to Catholic programing soon with new call letters( No one cares about call letters blah blah, stop typing). Like random ones assigned by The FCC.

2.1270am or 1130am will be sold to a religious broadcaster. 3ABN possibly

4.98.7 will likely stay the same, possibly add more rock to the playlist, say Tool and stuff like that.

5. 107.5 WGPR stays the same.

6. WDRQ shifts to gold based country maybe. Legend 93.1, with it's core being 90s country. OR flips to Variety hits. Possibly CHR returns?

That's all I can think of.

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:03 pm

Heres mine....

Bell Media flips 88.7 to a Rockin 70s format. No pop or funk just Rock of the 70s.

Bell then flips AM580 to 50s/60s oldies/ comedy

A 80s Heavy Metal station is added to the HD side of 97.1 as K Rock.

Detroits Wheelz brings back the original 98.7 WLLZ tire logo.
F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:54 pm

I buy 103.5

All Gregorian chants.

I make ALL the money.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:57 pm

People still post in the tired Ron Cameron thread. I am not one of them.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:53 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:57 pm
793 fucking pages. In all my years here, I've never seen any thread with that many posts.

Where the hell does he broadcast at?
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TRTV

Post by TRTV » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:56 pm

WDIV- New hires Ron Hilliard and Ashley Baracy take over live in the D and Tati gets shown the door. I think They will rotate weather for the noon and possibly 4pm newscasts so Brandon doesn't have to stay for the noon. And then they will help fill in other slots on the weekdays. I see Gross hanging it up and retiring and those two serving as the fill in when Kim Adam’s (whos a mom by the way) is out. And I think its gonna be Sherman alone on weekends.

WXYZ- a legit set update hopefully!! Dave Lewellen retires?? Keenan replaced with somebody else on mornings. Ali Hoxies date is almost up too 7 is known to only keep their traffic people 5 years at most.

WJBK- falls to 4th with CBS Detroit taking over 3rd place. Continues its never ending 9 hour morning show that goes now until 1pm. Jason Carr rejoins said morning show.

WWJ- starts news operations end of January by June will be in 3rd place. Wont be what we are expecting but will not be the worst operation in Detroit. Maybe Jason Carr will end up here too with them trying to launch a morning show in the future??

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:30 am

WWJ's news will be fairly well received and will challenge for 3rd place by the end of the year.

Radio feels harder to predict at the moment, because everything recently that seems to make sense hasn't happened. So I'll take a stab at it:
WXYT-AM will be sold to a religious broadcaster.
CIMX will dump country for light AC.
WDRQ will add more classic country and rebrand as Q-Country 93.1.
WDZH will stay as Alt 98.7, but will dump the poppier stuff for more rock-based alternative.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:23 am

Matt wrote:
AMEN!! I support Matt and this post....

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:27 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:53 pm
Matt wrote:
793 fucking pages. In all my years here, I've never seen any thread with that many posts.

I come to the buzzboard often, I do not listen to Ron Cameron, I know who he is , in the past I have listened to his Sports Shows, remember him when I was a teenager his shows on the old WCAR 1130 (I'm 60 as of this post)
Mega said it best...for a show that gets what...?? 200 listeners a week, it has 793 pages of useless B...S... posted in here daily...
I stand by my comments and anticipate useless replies (like the Ron Cameron thread)....

Happy New Year everyone...Go Blue!!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:43 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Matt wrote:

WDTK

The bizarre nature of the show keeps the thread going.

Recently, his time slots have been bouncing around because of Wayne State sporting events, and Ron's flustered, angry reactions to these changes are as entertaining as anything else on the program.

He's constantly talking about opening a new restaurant and getting knee surgery, but apparently, one of these things must happen before the other thing happens. A Catch 22 situation that will probably go on forever.

He has three regular callers who all have strangely unique personalities. Two of them (Cowboy from Windsor and Mr. Positive) have also made appearances on other radio shows. The third (Kurt from Fraser) is always arguing baseball with Ron and usually has to be shouted down to stop talking and hang up. Mr. Positive has tried to publicize the Buzzboard thread in his calls, but Ron has told him to stop mentioning the Buzzboard, because of the "bullcrap" that has been written about him there.

I admit, it is a very acquired taste, but Ron keeps giving us a lot of material to laugh at, satirize, and ridicule, so the thread will keep going as long as Ron is on the air.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:32 am

Bobbert wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:43 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Matt wrote:

WDTK

Recently, his time slots have been bouncing around because of Wayne State sporting events, and Ron's flustered, angry reactions to these changes are as entertaining as anything else on the program.

He's constantly talking about opening a new restaurant and getting knee surgery, but apparently, one of these things must happen before the other thing happens. A Catch 22 situation that will probably go on forever.

He has three regular callers who all have strangely unique personalities. Two of them (Cowboy from Windsor and Mr. Positive) have also made appearances on other radio shows. The third (Kurt from Fraser) is always arguing baseball with Ron and usually has to be shouted down to stop talking and hang up. Mr. Positive has tried to publicize the Buzzboard thread in his calls, but Ron has told him to stop mentioning the Buzzboard, because of the "bullcrap" that has been written about him there.

I admit, it is a very acquired taste, but Ron keeps giving us a lot of material to laugh at, satirize, and ridicule, so the thread will keep going as long as Ron is on the air.
If nothing else, you have to admire Ron's longevity. He's actually owned a couple of stations, as amazing as that seems. He was pretty good on WCAR (1130) back in the day, but man, that was 45 years ago.

As for my predictions, I predict "more of the same" as we are mired in mediocrity. Case in point, all of the green talent on WWJ. WJR running "Best of's" all week, instead of giving fill-in hosts a shot. Put Harper and Kam Karmen in Guy Gordon's shift for a couple days, to promote the new Saturday show, for instance. But hey, I get it, they don't work for free. The ridiculous "news anal-yst" format is a joke too, and seems to be falling flat even with the hosts themselves.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:58 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:32 am
Bobbert wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:43 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Matt wrote:

WDTK

If nothing else, you have to admire Ron's longevity. He's actually owned a couple of stations, as amazing as that seems. He was pretty good on WCAR (1130) back in the day, but man, that was 45 years ago.

As for my predictions, I predict "more of the same" as we are mired in mediocrity. Case in point, all of the green talent on WWJ. WJR running "Best of's" all week, instead of giving fill-in hosts a shot. Put Harper and Kam Karmen in Guy Gordon's shift for a couple days, to promote the new Saturday show, for instance. But hey, I get it, they don't work for free. The ridiculous "news anal-yst" format is a joke too, and seems to be falling flat even with the hosts themselves.
Thanks for pointing out Ron's longevity. There is some grudging admiration for his persistence in the Ron Cameron thread. He's about to turn 78, lives in a motel, and apparently spends most of his days trying to sell ads for his radio program, which is aired during time that Cameron buys. There's no denying that he's a hard worker, even if a lot of his energy goes in unproductive directions.

About a year ago, I tried to document his wild journey through life in a Wikipedia page, but there are probably many things that weren't recorded in the source material I used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Camer ... rtscaster)

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:20 pm

I predict Paul W. Smith will take more time off than he did in 2022

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic