Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Will WJR Soon Drop Talk For All News?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
innate-in-you

Re: Will WJR Soon Drop Talk For All News?

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:13 pm
It all depends on what you mean by "en masse". And people aren't going to listen to talk radio with topics censored.
How will the listeners know the host has been muzzled unless the host directly says so on the air? There are already topics that are "off limits" for talk radio - especially for squeamish WJR!

Howard Stern wanted to talk about things, use words, etc. on AM/FM radio that he (a) either decided against doing or (b) was prohibited from doing by management. Didn't seem to harm his ratings at all.
Look, they already replaced the Talk format on WWCK 1570, with a Classic Rock format that you have all trashed on this board. There are probably others and there will be more.
WWCK had terrible ratings and 760 WJR (Cumulus owned) delivers a city grade signal to the Flint area. By the way, I was rather complimentary of the new format choice. The new format is classic hits, not classic rock.
...and ridiculously banning a word for a decade and to this day. Is this how it will roll in the shire?
You do realize by banning the word, said sportscaster has drawn increased ire, right?

Will some well known talk radio hosts leave terrestrial radio? Probably! They'll claim they're leaving because they want more freedom - and that's certainly true - but another reason they'll leave is because they realize AM/FM radio is a sinking ship financially.

There is certainly a chance WJR will tone down its conservative talk programming leanings to an extent - not disputing that at all - but they will almost assuredly remain a news/talk station or general interest talk station well into the future. I can assure you Limbaugh will remain part of the station's lineup until he hangs up the headphones for the last time.
Which may not be the distant future.

His BMI (the health index - not the music rights guys) is going through the roof, and he ain't getting younger.

In general, I foresee conservative talk gradually losing audience.

Conservative talk stations are now in the condition Standards stations were in 1995.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm

You are aware that Mr. Limbaugh has stage 4 lung cancer, right?

Once his personal health forces him to retire, I agree that scores of conservative talk stations will have a very sizable ratings hole to fill.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:22 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Once his personal health forces him to retire, I agree that scores of conservative talk stations will have a very sizable ratings hole to fill.
On a personal level, I am sorry to hear about his condition, of which I was until now unaware. I hope he recovers.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:41 pm

WJR is more likely to gain a translator and switch to a music format than go all news.

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:09 pm

WOHO wrote:Sean Beligian?
Sean is a great guy, but his voice will shatter glass!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:41 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:41 pm
WJR is more likely to gain a translator and switch to a music format than go all news.
Would be cool if they could go to a format resembling WRME-LP in Chicago, especially if they could get a translator on a very high tower.

That is, IF they could get a translator. I don't think there are any open channels anymore.

Another fly in the ointment could be their Sibley Rd. AM transmitter site.

Aren't FM translators bound to be on the parent station's tower? WJR's Sibley Rd. Site is more than 19 miles from the Oakland County line, and Oakland is the most suitable area to target with such a format.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:47 pm

No, they just have to serve part of the AM’s coverage. WJR couldn’t put a translator in New York City, but Oakland County would be allowed.

The only way WJR could get a translator is buying one. There are no good frequencies left for a new one.

atariboy

Post by atariboy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:04 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Just popped onto Youtube to listen to Rush for a sec. He sounds terrible, but hey - lifelong smoker. I’m sure he’ll stick around a bit to get his digs in on Biden, but there’s no way he’s still airing this summer.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:17 pm

Between strain on talk show hosts by political pressure and your predictions about loss of programs, this is even more significant than the loss of JP McCarthy. That's why it might be a good time to introduce at least some shifts consisting of primarily news. WWJ has been without competition for way too long.

I have heard other local Cumulus talk show hosts who you might otherwise think would be in line to fill the openings, and they have basically said Cumulus didn't want to, and that talk formats as they have been known recently will not last any later than 2030. If there is a new Fairness Doctrine put in place, the end might come much faster. Either way, I still say they should move at least to News and Talk dayparts.
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:19 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:27 pm
........... will WJR go to all News?
One thing lost in this discussion is the cost of staffing a news department unless you just "rip and read". While I agree that there is usually a lot of news in the Detroit area there is also all the sports teams. Do you sideline your entire news operation if you suddenly get a good sports broadcast package from one of the local teams. As others have stated WJR with its blow torch signal will always be an attractive avenue if a team wants decent broadcast coverage not only for the sports broadcast but for the advertisements as well. If you invest in a decent news department which may include some street reporters like WWJ does do you kick all that aside for a potential sports package and then panic if a big news story breaks. For these reasons I don't think WJR would go all news.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:29 pm

Oh, by the way, a maximum 250 watt translator just won't cut it either for a signal with coverage as good as WJR. It's hard to believe that WWJ, whose signal really doesn't exceed WJR in any direction in the Daytime (it does in Northern Michigan at Night), can consistently get ratings so much better than WJR recently. Many have called WJR a "sleeping giant".
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:36 pm

WJR has I believe three news people now in Marie Osborne, Ken Rogulski, and Gene Fogel. I don’t count Danya Clark because she just does traffic and weather. There is no reporter during Limbaugh, or after 7 or 8PM, and very little on weekends. If they can’t even fill a full day of reporters, what makes you think they would all of a sudden go on a hiring spree and take on WWJ?

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:10 am

All I've read here for the last 20 years here is how much the posters can't can't stand Rush and conservative talk, and any kind of Christian Talk or CCM music. So now you're saying they can't do something different, which might cut into WWJ's ratings? I think Sports Talk has been permanently damaged by political controversy and the pandemic. People realize now they really don't need it.

What else is there? The music with a translator might work in a smaller market where a translator covers the market and coverage area, but not Detroit.

I don't see any way to keep the malcontents here happy.

-Author Unknown

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:55 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:10 am
All I've read here for the last 20 years here is how much the posters can't can't stand Rush and conservative talk, and any kind of Christian Talk or CCM music. So now you're saying they can't do something different, which might cut into WWJ's ratings? I think Sports Talk has been permanently damaged by political controversy and the pandemic. People realize now they really don't need it.

What else is there? The music with a translator might work in a smaller market where a translator covers the market and coverage area, but not Detroit.

I don't see any way to keep the malcontents here happy.
I didn’t say they couldn’t, I said they won’t. Cumulus won’t spend that kind of money. If the plan is to go all news, or at least more news, why is the newsroom continuing to shrink?

GREATLAKESVET

Post by GREATLAKESVET » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:47 am

That would be intriguing if it was patterned like WBBM, KYW, WCBS. WJR had a great news presence, even with WWJ, in it's pre-talk and early ABC days. The problem is that so many of the people who made WJR News a stellar operation left or retired. Cumeless in its lack of wisdom reduced its costs at the expense of news coverage to near headline-style hourly service. It would take a commitment to try and recreate the news coverage style it was long known for. Still, anything would be an improvement over the starboard listing yak that's made radio a four-letter word.
Great Lakes Vet

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic