Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Will WJR Soon Drop Talk For All News?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
innate-in-you

Re: Will WJR Soon Drop Talk For All News?

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:22 am

CK-722 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:58 pm
I measured the WJR field strength near where the 5 mV/m predicted contour approximately is in Flint. I measured it at about 3 mV/m.

In 48503, near where the CBD and Municipal Offices are located, V-Soft Zip Code shows 5.23 mV/m based on M-3.

In 48505, the North part of Flint, based on M-3 on V-Soft, WJR is 4.62 mV/m.

I'd say that WJR is more of a habit, but Cumulus no longer even subscribes to Neilsen there anyway. I'll tell you for a fact, that people inside the GM plants couldn't receive the 1968 World Series on WJR with most radios. With access to a window and a better transistor radio, it was still noisy. If a Flint AM like WFDF, WTRX, or WKMF had had the Tigers, it would have been easy. Better than 100 mV/m in the center of the 48503 area Days. WJR is easier in homes and in outlying areas.

I did an experiment probably 10 years ago with a radio inside a steel building in 48313. WUFL, with over 100 mV/m outside, predicted and measured with a real FI meter, was the only AM station that was listenable at all. WJR at about 22 mV/m outside was like struggling to hear DX. I was able to improve it slightly with about a 12" X 16" metal picture frame with much fiddling around, using it as a crude loop antenna. WWJ was next to impossible after the "upgrade", even with the loop.
About 15 years ago, the Cable TV series "Mythbusters" took on the challenge of a radio that worked without a battery.

It surprised me that they didn't know what a crystal radio was.

So, they ordered the product that was advertised and set to determine whether a radio that needed no battery, nor supplied power, could possibly work.

They firmly concluded: There's no way to make a radio that needs no power source!

They did the experiment at their site, inside a very large aircraft hangar, with the doors closed!

Made me suspicious of every other test they had done.

thekman

Re: Will WJR Soon Drop Talk For All News?

Post by thekman » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:24 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm
You are aware that Mr. Limbaugh has stage 4 lung cancer, right?

Once his personal health forces him to retire, I agree that scores of conservative talk stations will have a very sizable ratings hole to fill.
If frequent guest host Mark Steyn were to eventually take over Rush’s show, I think he could maintain a good amount of Rush’s listenership. He is more beloved by Rush’s audience than any of the rest of the current crop of guest hosts. I would bet, in the more than 30 year history of the show, only the late Walter Williams was a more popular guest host.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic