Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Bobbert » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:34 am

I've been using Uncle Charley on My Three Sons to fill in the void left by Ron's departure. As wonderfully played by the crusty old William Demarest, his blunt, goofy comments often crack me up.

This morning, Charley was watching Fred MacMurray try to teach his fiance Beverly Garland how to golf, and Charley said, "Why are you playing golf? You should be somewhere makin' out!" A few minutes later, Charley summarized his feelings about golf: "Nothing good every happens when you hit a small white ball with a stick."

Charley's wild tales of his sea-faring days remind me of Ron's often changing stories about his past.

And for a while, Charley had a goofy misfit kinship with Ernie (the youngest son) that was similar to Ron's relationship with Martin. But a new season just started, and Ernie had a big growth spurt that gives him a much more serious demeanor.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:41 am

I was watching the Reds and Brewers on Amazon Prime last night, and Elly De La Cruz of the Reds hit an exciting inside-the-park home run. That reminded me of Kurt's classic quip about De La Cruz: "It's Elly, like Elly May Clampett on The Beverly Hillbillies."

I hope Kurt found someone new to argue baseball with. I'm sure he's got a few opinions about the Tigers not using some of Cabrera's old salary on a big hitter this past winter.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:12 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:41 am
I was watching the Reds and Brewers on Amazon Prime last night, and Elly De La Cruz of the Reds hit an exciting inside-the-park home run. That reminded me of Kurt's classic quip about De La Cruz: "It's Elly, like Elly May Clampett on The Beverly Hillbillies."

I hope Kurt found someone new to argue baseball with. I'm sure he's got a few opinions about the Tigers not using some of Cabrera's old salary on a big hitter this past winter.
I haven't seen a Kurt (the Hurt) question on an MLB Trade Rumors chat session since right before Ron died. A welfare check to his Fraser residence may be needed.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:28 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:34 am
I've been using Uncle Charley on My Three Sons to fill in the void left by Ron's departure. As wonderfully played by the crusty old William Demarest, his blunt, goofy comments often crack me up.

This morning, Charley was watching Fred MacMurray try to teach his fiance Beverly Garland how to golf, and Charley said, "Why are you playing golf? You should be somewhere makin' out!" A few minutes later, Charley summarized his feelings about golf: "Nothing good every happens when you hit a small white ball with a stick."

Charley's wild tales of his sea-faring days remind me of Ron's often changing stories about his past.

And for a while, Charley had a goofy misfit kinship with Ernie (the youngest son) that was similar to Ron's relationship with Martin. But a new season just started, and Ernie had a big growth spurt that gives him a much more serious demeanor.
In Ron's memory, I've been doing a deep dive into the YouTube catalogue of the network versions of What's My Line? (1950-1967), I've Got a Secret (1952-1967), & To Tell the Truth (1956-1967). Not a color episode to be found.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:40 pm

My understanding is there are a few nighttime color TTTT tapes around, not from 1957 of course. All of the Line and Secret episodes were saved on B&W kinescopes, even though the last year was originally in color.

Color tape was expensive and bulky, and there wasn't much of a reason back then to save game shows, soap operas, even most sporting events. They didn't invasion the 5000 channel universe and streaming.

mmb5

Post by mmb5 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:04 pm

edj wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:40 pm
My understanding is there are a few nighttime color TTTT tapes around, not from 1957 of course. All of the Line and Secret episodes were saved on B&W kinescopes, even though the last year was originally in color.

Color tape was expensive and bulky, and there wasn't much of a reason back then to save game shows, soap operas, even most sporting events. They didn't invasion the 5000 channel universe and streaming.
Most kinescope episodes were saved, both are missing a handful from early in their runs. The last daytime season of TTTT is in color and mostly extant too, as they were going to be prepped for syndication, but then they decided just make new episodes instead.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:13 pm

mmb5 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:04 pm
edj wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:40 pm

Most kinescope episodes were saved, both are missing a handful from early in their runs. The last daytime season of TTTT is in color and mostly extant too, as they were going to be prepped for syndication, but then they decided just make new episodes instead.
Yes, I was painting with a broad brush. There are some network daytime (& one nighttime) TTTT episodes on YouTube, all from either 1967 or - after the nighttime show was cancelled - 1968, in color, if not "in living color," as the show ran on CBS, not NBC.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKsAnJO ... FyFxZuOhw2[/youtube]

edj

Post by edj » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:35 pm

Now if we can find some color footage of the greatest Tigers team ever. 1961 of course.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:02 am

Momo wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:28 am
Bobbert wrote:

In Ron's memory, I've been doing a deep dive into the YouTube catalogue of the network versions of What's My Line? (1950-1967), I've Got a Secret (1952-1967), & To Tell the Truth (1956-1967). Not a color episode to be found.
I wonder if Ron was a fan of the show Password? The beautiful Barbara Rush recently died at the age of 97. A couple of years ago, I saw her on several episodes of Password. Her well-groomed middle-aged beauty—combined with the crisp, cool texture of the mid-Sixties Password show—was pure pleasure.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:49 am

Bobbert wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:02 am
Momo wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:28 am
Bobbert wrote:

I wonder if Ron was a fan of the show Password? The beautiful Barbara Rush recently died at the age of 97. A couple of years ago, I saw her on several episodes of Password. Her well-groomed middle-aged beauty—combined with the crisp, cool texture of the mid-Sixties Password show—was pure pleasure.

The English teacher he fancied himself to be notwithstanding, Ron would've probably found the original Password to be too intellectual for him, much like he viewed David Newman.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:40 am

Ron's adopted son Jake Rogers is off to a slow start, hitting only .130 after 7 games.

Maybe it's time for a remake of Angels in the Outfield. The Celestial Ron promises to help Jake with his hitting, if Jake gets the Tigers to stop that stupid home run celebration with the impaled pizzas.

Or maybe we could send Jake some tapes of Ron's many supportive comments about him through the years. Jake could then dedicate the season to one of his most loyal supporters, which might create some good karma in Jake's professional baseball career.

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:44 am

Bobbert wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:40 am
Ron's adopted son Jake Rogers is off to a slow start, hitting only .130 after 7 games.

Maybe it's time for a remake of Angels in the Outfield. The Celestial Ron promises to help Jake with his hitting, if Jake gets the Tigers to stop that stupid home run celebration with the impaled pizzas.

Or maybe we could send Jake some tapes of Ron's many supportive comments about him through the years. Jake could then dedicate the season to one of his most loyal supporters, which might create some good karma in Jake's professional baseball career.
Ron was so dedicated to carrying water for Avila - for his mere solo appearance on his show! - that he would defend the Verlander trade on the very thin reed that Rogers, twelve years Justin's junior, would still be playing long after Verlander had retired. Since Verlander is on the IL, whatever Rogers is providing has to be deemed gravy by that genius calculation.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:38 am

I was trying to remember what Ron might have said about all the O.J. Simpson business in the mid-90's. All I can remember is that one day he started calling people on both sides of the case "scum".

"O.J. Simpson is scum, Mark Fuhrman is scum, Johnnie Cochran is scum..."

In that same general conversation, Ron also called Spike Lee a racist because he directed a movie called "White Men Can't Jump." Someone then called in to tell Ron that "White Men Can't Jump" was directed by a white man named Ron Shelton.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:54 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:38 am
I was trying to remember what Ron might have said about all the O.J. Simpson business in the mid-90's. All I can remember is that one day he started calling people on both sides of the case "scum".

In that same general conversation, Ron also called Spike Lee a racist because he directed a movie called "White Men Can't Jump." Someone then called in to tell Ron that "White Men Can't Jump" was directed by a white man named Ron Shelton.
Oh, to think what Ron's opinion of OJ would've been if Simpson had ever been nice to him ...

I once worked with an otherwise rational, intelligent, likable person who told me that OJ attended his wedding - his bride's father was a football coach as he related, thus having some serious football connections. Then, with a straight case, he proceeded to argue on behalf of OJ's innocence. In the interest of workplace harmony, I elected not to engage him on this subject. But I kinda had an arm's length relationship with him thereafter.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:13 pm

Momo wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:54 am
Bobbert wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:38 am

Oh, to think what Ron's opinion of OJ would've been if Simpson had ever been nice to him ...

I once worked with an otherwise rational, intelligent, likable person who told me that OJ attended his wedding - his bride's father was a football coach as he related, thus having some serious football connections. Then, with a straight case, he proceeded to argue on behalf of OJ's innocence. In the interest of workplace harmony, I elected not to engage him on this subject. But I kinda had an arm's length relationship with him thereafter.
I also can remember some good relationships being damaged by that big public debate. I hope this is the last time we have to re-live that time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic