Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Inundated

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Inundated » Sun May 07, 2023 4:53 pm

WPON can indeed be streamed from their website.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Sun May 07, 2023 4:55 pm

I would like to be a fly on the wall during Scoop's sales pitch to his current advertisers. How does that conversation go telling them he switched stations, to a lower wattage one? Does the conversation include any honesty on Ron's part on the why? RON-" Well I used the N- word a few times on air and management did not like that". Why would an advertiser continue with him if they've never heard of the station, let alone try to find it on the dial and the chance of not hearing anything is pretty good? It must be one hell of a strongarm technique that is used. I find it hard to believe that his advertisers are lacking in the intelligence department. To me it sounds like they are flushing money down the toilet or they know what's up and feel sorry for him, highly unlikely with his personality.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Sun May 07, 2023 5:11 pm

Who wouldn't want to advertise on a 670 watt (580 at night) blowtorch!

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Sun May 07, 2023 5:43 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:30 am
radiofan1974 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:03 am
edj wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:21 am
WPON is $150 an hour. That would mean $600 per weekend. I believe Sima wants a month in advance, it would be prorated in this case.
WDTK is higher, not sure how much but I would guess $300-$400 per hour.
Wow interesting, makes me wonder more how he turns a profit for himself. I get he sells the ads, I guess AM radio with a handful of listeners has its perks!
I don't know that it's about turning a profit. Without a show, he can't promote restaurant sponsors & he needs those sponsors to, literally, fill his belly.
Is this actually true .I can see restaurants advertising with money.They can write that off as a business expense.Giving him free meals does not make sense.If they do give him free meals.Does Ron tip the waitress and if so how much?

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sun May 07, 2023 6:07 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 4:06 pm
On his last show, last week, Ron said that Jim Kaat would be on in "two weeks." So I'm looking forward to Ron launching his rebooted show next weekend with the pride of New Zealand. That'll get the people in the street talking (again).
I wonder what the opening minutes of his show next week will be like, I am guessing deflection and not addressing

Majik

Post by Majik » Sun May 07, 2023 7:28 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:07 pm
Momo wrote:
On his last show, last week, Ron said that Jim Kaat would be on in "two weeks." So I'm looking forward to Ron launching his rebooted show next weekend with the pride of New Zealand. That'll get the people in the street talking (again).
I wonder what the opening minutes of his show next week will be like, I am guessing deflection and not addressing
I can picture a carefully worded non apology apology, followed by a poorly crafted live read advertisement for a PR firm.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun May 07, 2023 8:15 pm

Majik wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:28 pm
radiofan1974 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:07 pm
Momo wrote:
I can picture a carefully worded non apology apology, followed by a poorly crafted live read advertisement for a PR firm.
Being Ron means never having to say you're sorry. He's just not the repentant type. I don't see him addressing what he said. He's bottomed-out at WPON, there's probably no place for him elsewhere, so why would he bother? For an audience at WPON that consists largely of the Buzzboard & a discreet band of surety workers? I do see him railing against WDTK, something to which I've already been privy.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Sun May 07, 2023 10:52 pm

I remember when he left WPON for WDTK
.He railed against WPON and sang the praises of WDTK. If he rants against WDTK it will show what a small classless man this guy is.

Majik

Post by Majik » Mon May 08, 2023 12:59 am

Kidcat wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:52 pm
.He railed against WPON and sang the praises of WDTK. If he rants against WDTK it will show what a small classless man this guy is.
As if we need more proof. When it comes to Ron, it’s like the proverbial fish in a barrel.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon May 08, 2023 11:10 am

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 4:55 pm
I would like to be a fly on the wall during Scoop's sales pitch to his current advertisers. How does that conversation go telling them he switched stations, to a lower wattage one? Does the conversation include any honesty on Ron's part on the why? RON-" Well I used the N- word a few times on air and management did not like that". Why would an advertiser continue with him if they've never heard of the station, let alone try to find it on the dial and the chance of not hearing anything is pretty good? It must be one hell of a strongarm technique that is used. I find it hard to believe that his advertisers are lacking in the intelligence department. To me it sounds like they are flushing money down the toilet or they know what's up and feel sorry for him, highly unlikely with his personality.
When I was looking for a job, after quitting a job where I was partially responsible for some ugly conflict, I explained my departure by saying, "It was time to move on." Ron's probably doing something similar, with the focus on the different issues he was hoping to resolve when his WDTK contract expired this summer. Of course, Ron's problems were more public than mine, so he might have a difficult time explaining things.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon May 08, 2023 11:18 am

Kidcat wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:52 pm
With Ron, the grass is always greener on the other side.

But there are some variations on that theory that might help us understand Ron's unusual career path.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Mon May 08, 2023 3:44 pm

A friend who advertised on Ron's show for only one broadcast told me Mr. Cameron's sales technique involved a claim that Sports Talk had an audience of "thousands." (This was during the show's previous tenure on WPON.) The reason for only one advertisement was that when the show was broadcast my friend's store (located in the New Center area) wasn't able to receive the emanation. When the host arrived the next week for payment, my friend balked, saying that all he heard was static. The mood of the salesmanship changed to one of belligerency with the consequences being the would-be raconteur was "shown the door" and any relationship had ended. As I've mentioned before, said friend told me that he probably would have paid RC, but the bellicose behavior kept the money in the erstwhile advertiser's pocket.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Mon May 08, 2023 4:28 pm

ShempLives wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 3:44 pm
A friend who advertised on Ron's show for only one broadcast told me Mr. Cameron's sales technique involved a claim that Sports Talk had an audience of "thousands." (This was during the show's previous tenure on WPON.) The reason for only one advertisement was that when the show was broadcast my friend's store (located in the New Center area) wasn't able to receive the emanation. When the host arrived the next week for payment, my friend balked, saying that all he heard was static. The mood of the salesmanship changed to one of belligerency with the consequences being the would-be raconteur was "shown the door" and any relationship had ended. As I've mentioned before, said friend told me that he probably would have paid RC, but the bellicose behavior kept the money in the erstwhile advertiser's pocket.
Like his show/schtick/memories/stories and guests, I can also confirm Ron’s sales “techniques” have changed very little over the years, no matter what the era.
Over a decade ago, RC tried to strong-arm the owners of the company I still work at to purchase an ad for his “nationally-known” radio show with the listening audience of “thousands”, as well. He was new to town and was close to opening a new deli close by. The owners of my place, also having newly opened, considered helping another small business with what seemed like a hustling entrepreneur at the helm.
I immediately recognized RC and incredulously told my bosses who this relic is/was/isn’t, and to stay away! Hustler, yes, but also shyster/charlatan.
After several persistent calls and in-person pestering, and RC losing his cool (hangry, Ron?) when my bosses told him they wouldn’t advertise, my bosses finally gave in and actually gave him a complimentary dinner, just to remove RC from their life.
For his comped dinner, he donned his best pilly sweater and brought a date (e-mailer “Meredith”, maybe?!?!?!), and another couple (not one of his stud roommates, these people were more RC’s age!), and enjoyed a meal “on the house”.
After that, Ron disappeared, his deli was open literally for less than a four months (probably less!) and he never reappeared around here.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon May 08, 2023 5:56 pm

I agree with momo. I think he will never mention the faux pas on his previous station.

Sitting in my car right now in the parking lot of Broadcast Booth in Allen Park. Just tried 1460. Nothing but static.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Mon May 08, 2023 7:19 pm

Bob Paige just responded to a post on Rons Twitter account-basically saying Ron can’t type who is this writing this stuff?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic