Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Texas mass shooting

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Texas mass shooting

Post by Bryce » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:03 am

zzand wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:09 pm
I kill 88,000 people in the United States every single year.
I kill 4,300 underage children every year.
I am responsible for 190,000 visits to the ER by people under 21.
Over 40% of all children in the 10th grade illegally use me.
I am the cause of 1.4 million acts of violence committed between strangers.
I am present in nearly half of all violent crimes up to and including homicide, rape, assault, and child abuse.
Each day I am used by illegal means 300,000 times but only 3,200 people are arrested.
My negative consequences cost the U.S. economy $250 billion a year.
I am alcohol.

Just going to leave this here.
And, I'll add this...
Increased Risk of Mental Health Issues

Marijuana use has been linked to a range of mental health problems such as psychosis, depression or anxiety. A 2002 study in Sweden found that heavy cannabis use at age 18 increased the risk of later schizophrenia sixfold (Arseneault et al, 2002). Since then, numerous additional studies have found a similar correlation between adolescent marijuana use and psychosis or schizophrenia, especially in teens with a family history of the disorder (Copeland et al, 2013).

The potential for depression and anxiety is also increased in adolescent marijuana users. The nature of this relationship is controversial, with some studies not supporting a causal association, but instead linking depression due to marijuana’s contributions to learning difficulties, poorer educational outcomes, and problematic behaviors. However, a 2012 study found that increasing frequency of marijuana use was associated with increasing symptoms of depression, with the association stronger in adolescence and declining into adulthood (Horwood et al, 2012).

Using marijuana from an early age places the person at risk of:

Impaired emotional development;
Increased risk of becoming more dissatisfied with life;
Increased likelihood to suffer from depression, anxiety, psychosis, or other mental illness.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:09 am

True Bryce.

My point is that anything the glorifies death including gangs, video games, abortion, audio & video media, is not helping.

The media feeds the problem.
Last edited by audiophile on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:09 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:10 pm
Bryce wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:54 am
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:50 pm
I'm all for starting with curbing ownership of assault rifles.
Define "assault rifle" and what characteristics make it so please. Frankly, any rifle that is used to kill a bunch of people is a "assault rifle", it was used in a deadly assault.
AR-15 for starters
Is this a "assault rifle"? Should it be included in your ban?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:12 am

Not in mine. Frankly it is probably too late. The USA has half of all rifles worldwide. At this point we need to keep out the hands of the mentally ill.

Normal rifles can be sold the way they are now. Multi-round should only be sold for those meeting a very high standard.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:02 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:00 am
A nation of 37 million vs a nation of 327 million might explain some of the difference in the number of events. Canada also has less cultural diversity and is more rural. Canada is safer.

Canada intentional homicide rank is 91 and the USA is 94:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate

Both nations are fairly safe overall, that isn't to say there isn't a few trouble spots and we should be happy with it. I do not believe right to bare arms mean weapons with multi-round clips. The founders had no concept of that weapon when they wrote it.
Less culturally diverse? Isnt Toronto one of the most diverse cities in the world? I think even Vancouver is more diverse than most of the US. And Waterloo/Cambridge.
Canadians as a whole seem happier and more laid back. Why do some places have so many angry, unhinged, hateful people?
I find Canadians and Asians to be more peaceful and content than Americans, British, etc. They seem less likely to blame other people for their problems. Americans find targets. The rich, the white man, the Jews, Christians, Republicans. I myself am guilty of this as I view the far left as a threat. But I also dont want to kill anyone. I have an athiest, left wing family member, though, who rants on social media all the time about his unbridled hatred of Trump and Republican voters, and how stupid he thinks people are who arent Athiest. I have expressed concern to other family members that i fear he is capable of bombing a church or GOP office. Some people just cant handle their anger and hatred of whoever they want to blame. Canadians, Asians, some Europeans just dont seem to get caught up in that.
Canada is safer. And with all tge Muslim and Asian immigration, the cities are very diverse. The people moving there are coming from countries that dont have the levels of anger and blame. I wish I knew why Americans cant handle their stress and biases peacefully, but I think thats one of the big problems.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:30 am

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:02 am
Americans find targets. The rich, the white man, the Jews, Christians, Republicans. I myself am guilty of this as I view the far left as a threat. But I also dont want to kill anyone. I have an athiest, left wing family member, though, who rants on social media all the time about his unbridled hatred of Trump and Republican voters, and how stupid he thinks people are who arent Athiest. I have expressed concern to other family members that i fear he is capable of bombing a church or GOP office. Some people just cant handle their anger and hatred of whoever they want to blame. Canadians, Asians, some Europeans just dont seem to get caught up in that.
For all his faults, I view President Trump as currently the lone firewall preventing politicians who cater to these kinds of people from accelerating the demise of our country.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 am

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:02 am
audiophile wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:00 am
A nation of 37 million vs a nation of 327 million might explain some of the difference in the number of events. Canada also has less cultural diversity and is more rural. Canada is safer.

Canada intentional homicide rank is 91 and the USA is 94:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate

Both nations are fairly safe overall, that isn't to say there isn't a few trouble spots and we should be happy with it. I do not believe right to bare arms mean weapons with multi-round clips. The founders had no concept of that weapon when they wrote it.
Less culturally diverse? Isnt Toronto one of the most diverse cities in the world? I think even Vancouver is more diverse than most of the US. And Waterloo/Cambridge.
Canadians as a whole seem happier and more laid back. Why do some places have so many angry, unhinged, hateful people?
I find Canadians and Asians to be more peaceful and content than Americans, British, etc. They seem less likely to blame other people for their problems. Americans find targets. The rich, the white man, the Jews, Christians, Republicans. I myself am guilty of this as I view the far left as a threat. But I also dont want to kill anyone. I have an athiest, left wing family member, though, who rants on social media all the time about his unbridled hatred of Trump and Republican voters, and how stupid he thinks people are who arent Athiest. I have expressed concern to other family members that i fear he is capable of bombing a church or GOP office. Some people just cant handle their anger and hatred of whoever they want to blame. Canadians, Asians, some Europeans just dont seem to get caught up in that.
Canada is safer. And with all tge Muslim and Asian immigration, the cities are very diverse. The people moving there are coming from countries that dont have the levels of anger and blame. I wish I knew why Americans cant handle their stress and biases peacefully, but I think thats one of the big problems.

Canadians are just as criminally minded as our U.S. friends. The rates of non-violent property crimes are about the same in both countries. We have fewer gun crimes here because guns are less available. It has nothing to do with video games or mental illness.

A mentally ill man in Toronto pushed a woman from the platform, into the path of the oncoming subway. Had he been able to get his hands on an assault rifle, the carnage might have been much worse.

There has been a rash of handgun shootings in Toronto in the past few years. Mostly rival street gangs killing each other. Too often, innocent people get caught in the crossfire.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 am

There has been a rash of handgun shootings in Toronto in the past few years. Mostly rival street gangs killing each other. Too often, innocent people get caught in the crossfire.
How can that happen? I thought handguns were illegal in Canada?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:50 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

Street gangs have no regard for the laws. They're importing them illegally.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:50 pm
Bryce wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

Street gangs have no regard for the laws. They're importing them illegally.
I think you have just exposed why gun bans or strict control of guns is a waste of time.
People still get them.
And law-abiding citizens wont have an effective, comparable LEGAL means of self-defense from the gang members who know that victims cant fight back effectively.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:25 pm

I don't own a gun and don't want to own a gun. I feel perfectly safe. Owning a gun or several guns wouldn't make me feel any safer.

A Canadian stands a greater chance of being killed by lightning than being killed by a gun.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:19 pm

BTW - where were all the Texans packing heat - open or concealed - in that Walmart , or outside , to protect victims - and take out the mass shooter?

You know - your gun is supposed to make you safer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic