I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

89X Too Hard?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Daypart

89X Too Hard?

Post by Daypart » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:40 pm

I had a chance to listen to 89X a bit this weekend. It seems like it has swung the pendulum from pretty-boy alternative to butt rock. Wow. It sounds like Z-Rock did back in the day.

Big Signal

Re: 89X Too Hard?

Post by Big Signal » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:22 am

As a Rocker, the music is a big improvement from the crap that was aired previously. Not too hard, at least for my ears.

It's all about the money!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:19 am

The station has improved to the point where it is now on presets (and has been for a while) and I listen almost daily.

Some of the currents the station is playing in heavy rotation aren't deserving of such frequent airplay.

Prime examples:
- Like a Storm - "Devil Inside" (horrible cover of an old INXS hit)
- I Prevail - "Lifelines" (song is past its expiration date)
- A Perfect Circle - "The Doomed" (not a bad song, just kept in heavy rotation for far too long)
- From Ashes to New - "Crazy" (just an all around shitty song)

There is too much song repetition on the station in general. I want to hear more hard rock gold from the late 90's & 2000's. Some Slipknot, Tool ("H.," "Parabola," "Aenima", "The Pot"), and maybe a couple lesser known (but talented) bands such as Clutch and Static-X from that era would be great.

I also don't understand why the station plays "Bulletproof" by Godsmack in heavy rotation but plays absolutely none of their other songs. Awake, Greed, and I Stand Alone should be receiving airplay.

Finally, I don't understand why the station plays such a limited selection of songs from Nirvana. They play a lot of material from Soundgarden (not that I'm complaining!). I don't understand why an equally large number of songs from Nirvana do not receive airplay.

The playlist does sound a LOT better than this same time last year. I give the station credit for that. Of course, a year ago, the playlist was horrible.

Between 89X and WRIF, I do like WRIF's playlist better. The problem with WRIF, though, is all the damn advertising and promotional plugs. Damn near every station ID during drive time has a f*cking advertisement as a tag along. On a related note, are there any losers out there who actually purchase Dave & Chuck apparel from the WRIF web site? :lol

I like listening to WRIF at night with Screamin' Scott - outstanding air talent!!! I dislike listening to WRIF on the weekend, though, whenever Jade is on. She should be heard at 3 in the morning, not 3 in the afternoon. She has zero personality, a monotone voice, and boring content. She is a single-A air talent compared to her counterpart, Steve Black, who is major league caliber.

I do wish the air talent on both WRIF and 89X would engage the audience more. In 89X's case, afternoons and evenings sound voicetracked. Are Nate and Kim even doing their shifts live? It sure as hell doesn't sound like it.

I can see why Kim Scott was let go from the station the first time she was there; she sounds like she is sitting inside a library when she speaks.

The station needs to buy some better equipment. The audio processing & volume levels seem to shift around a lot. On some days, the audio sounds very limp and I need to turn up the volume big time. Reminds me of a high school or college radio station.

I'll end my grievances with this - does 89X need to air "best of" segments from its morning show at so many different random hours of the day? When I tune in - I want to hear MUSIC, not lame talk segments that are several minutes long.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:01 am

There is too much song repetition on the station in general. I want to hear more hard rock gold from the late 90's & 2000's. Some Slipknot, Tool ("H.," "Parabola," "Aenima", "The Pot"), and maybe a couple lesser known (but talented) bands such as Clutch and Static-X from that era would be great.
Hmmmmm - sounds like someone is a big fan on SXM’s Turbo just like me 😊👍

Not an optimist or pestimist, but a realist on life

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:08 am

Indeed I am! :8)

SXM making Turbo available on all radios was long overdue! The irony is these days there is actually a fair amount of music overlap between the Octane and Turbo channels. I enjoy them both.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:48 am

I'm not familiar with those bands in the "prime examples" you listed.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 am

While I'm not a fan of the station. I am glad they finally have a direction. I always thought Bell Media would bring the Virgin Radio brand to 88.7

tivoking

Post by tivoking » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:32 am

For us in the north, this station sucks because of the signal. You can stream it from your phone from apps like Online Radio Box, NextRadio and XiaLive. It's no longer available on TuneIn. The quality is only 48kbps, which is horrible for music.

That_Canadian_Guy

Post by That_Canadian_Guy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:53 pm

I think 89X sounds better than it ever has. I had pretty much given up on it, and now it's all I listen to. Can't stand all the tired 70's and 80's stuff that wrif continues to play over and over. Even the morning show on 89x has grown on me, and I feel like the 2 guys have finally got a chemistry going. I even heard an acoustic show this past Sunday. Is that a weekly thing, or was it a one off? Either way whoever is programming the music is doing a great job in my opinion.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:43 pm

It airs each week and is called Acoustic Brunch. Decent concept, but I hate the time slot. I don't want to hear soft music at 12:30 in the afternoon.

9a to 11a every Sunday would be a better time slot for it.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:27 pm

88.7 is moving in the right direction, I agree with Canadian guy. The 80s stuff is done to death, with maybe a few exceptions. 70s, over all of it.

Here's my 2 cents:

1. Re-image the station. New Station ID's, Liners. The current liners sound so 1998. Maybe slight alter the name, X88.7 or Real Rock 88.7. Totally shed the station of it's 90s image already.

2. Keep the focus on harder edged artists from the 90s, 00's, and a little bit from today. Some old stuff like Iron Maiden, Megadeth(peace sells era), and Pantera, would be cool now and then.

3. Avoid 80s Butt rock.

4. How about a Saturday night classic metal show?

Playlist example:

Megadeth- Hanger 17
Tool- Prison Sex
Pantera-Walk
Soundgarden- The Day I tried to Live
King Diamond- The Family Ghost
Godsmack- I stand alone
Linkin park- One step closer
Queensryche - Silent Lucidity
Ozzy- No more tears
Judas Priest- You don't have to be old to be wise
Clutch- A shot gun named Marcus
Anthrax- I'm the man

I realize you gotta throw a few Canadian artists in there someplace but that's what I'd like to see. I can at least dream.

I-Heart Media, I ask you to please bring back 106.7 The D, but without Journey,Eddie money, or Styx. ALT 106.7 sucks ass!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic