I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

98.7 WDZH scraps morning show - format change ahead?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
D.j.m.

Re: 98.7 WDZH scraps morning show - format change ahead?

Post by D.j.m. » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:16 am

Is a rock station that doesn't sound like its PD is Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force too much to ask in this market?

Is it really too much to ask?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:29 am

Beau is NOT a morning guy, no matter how much you want to believe he is. That should have been aptly demonstrated earlier this year.
I thought he sounded great on the handful of days where he covered mornings at WOMC. (His female sidekick - not so much! She stunk!)

That being said, the skill set needed to succeed in morning drive at 104.3 is probably much different than the skill set needed to succeed at 98.7. Someone with a long-established track record of hosting morning drive would probably suit 98.7 much better.

Unless ad rates took a nosedive between 2016 & 2017, 98.7 bills well (better than it should be billing, honestly). I cannot see them straying too far from the current format.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

craigrussell100

Post by craigrussell100 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:14 am

"Newsradio 9-50, and now on 98.7, WWJ"

Town to Town...Up and Down the dial...

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:40 am

Mi Buzzboard: Detroit radio is stale, boring, and predictable. Do something different
Also Mi Buzzboard: Revive a brand that died 22 years ago NOW :lol

lidoshuffle21

Post by lidoshuffle21 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:55 am

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:01 am
Windsor, I'm no programming expert so I don't know if it would succeed, but I LOVE your playlist. WCSX has the most vanilla, repetitious playlist. I can't stand to hear the same Zeppelin, Skynyrd, AC/DC, Rush songs over and over and over again. A little variety in the playlist would be nice.

I would love for a classic rock station to mix in deeper tracks and album cuts. Very few formats could get away with going deeper and diving into album cuts, but in my uneducated opinion, I believe that classic rock is one of them.
THANK YOU FOR POINTING OUT how WCSX has a very limited play list.....according to 'CSX, "I Want You To Want Me" by Cheap Trick is the only song the band ever recorded, also , again I must emphasize...BON JOVI IS NOT CLASSIC ROCK...thank you, carry on....

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Variety hits would be a safe flip. 106.7 should've stuck with that.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Thinking that's probably where things are headed.

I-Heart Media, I ask you to please bring back 106.7 The D, but without Journey,Eddie money, or Styx. ALT 106.7 sucks ass!

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Nice list Windsor, I'm not a consultant, I don't even play one on TV, but none of those songs are going to "test well" thats why you don't hear them on the radio. Gotta play stuff that people that agree to carry little pager thingies because they want the $$$ will like.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:15 pm

windsor wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:56 pm
Here's my fantasy station launch.......if you know WLLZ you will know the signature tunes I threw in.....jUST a sample of the first few hours of sign on.

98.7 WLLZ Detroit's Wheelz "Classic Rock That REALLY ROCKS"

The Rockets---Born in Detroit
J Geils---House Party
Led Zep--Traveling riverside Blues
Robert Plant--Tall cool One
Def Lep---Lets get Rocked
Cinderella----Coming Home
Scorps---Wind of Change
ZZ Top--Beer Drinkers and hell raisers
Nugent ---Out of control
Red Rider--Lunatic Fringe
Kansas--Play that game tonight
Donnie Iris-- Ah Leah
Heart---Heartless
Aerosmith---The Lightning Strikes
Joe Perry Project---Let the music do the talking
Loverboy---Lovin every min. of it
Yes---owner of a broken heart
Rainbow---Stone cold
Alice Cooper----Poison
Y&T---summertime girls
Ratt--Wanted man
Van Halen---Amsterdam
Black Crows---Remedy
Triumph---magic power
707---I can be good for you
Uriah Heep---easy livin
Dio---last in line
Tesla----song and emotion
Head East----never been any reason
Kim Mitchell---Go for Soda
Rush---Dreamline
Kiss--Srutter
Ozzy----Shot in the dark
Billy Squire---Too Daze Gone
Pat Benatar----you better run
Jefferson Starship---Jane
Blackfoot----Highway Song
Molly hatchet---- Whiskyman
Nugent---Yank Me Crank Me LIVE

Easy format to program if you know metro Detroit and its rock radio history.
Your list is not too far off the mark. Wheels played a lot of AOR material that isn't heard today. Believe it or not, many of the songs were selected through call-out research. John Larson was the PD who launched Wheels. Out of the gate, Wheels was #2 in the ratings, second only to WJR. That's pretty amazing. Our female numbers at Wheels weren't too bad either. Last I knew, John was some sort of big shot at Cox in Tampa.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Count me among those that are under 55 and remember (miss) WLLZ. At this point, the idea of one less frequency playing club slut/yo dawg music definitely makes me all tingly and smiley. Furthermore, the thought of 98.7 playing GNR, Green Day and VH again keeps that smile on my face. But if that were to happen, we know EXACTLY what we'd be getting. The thing is, 98.7 is probably not going to tweek very much at all. It'll probably continue to be the same overproduced keyboard drum machine pap that passes for pop music, and will continue to have no place on my presets. But I suppose it would be no different than a rock station that overplays Welcome to the Jungle, Hot For Teacher & Rock You Like a Hurricane ad nausem. The rehashing of the DJ's on there won't help because they won't get to be personalities like they used to be. Odds are, we're stuck. Although it would be nice to hear WWJ after dark here in Brighton...

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:10 pm

I appreciate all the kind words for my playlist.That list is a result of living and breathing Detroit rock radio for the last 40 years.

I dont believe we will ever get Wheelz back on 98.7 but its always a fun discussion when there's rumour of a format change on that freq.

The problem with stations these days is theyre over consulted and not having a local programmer these days is the boring result of the 100 song ad nauseum playlist like on CSX.They forget that Detroit radio lsiteners are among the most knowledgable listeners in the country.Alot of those rock radio listeners in the classic rock genre know 99% of those tune I listed but like has been said the suits say they dont test well.

The playlist listed is where 106.7 the D should have been headed imho.Thats why alot of us are now SXM subs............. :D

Dave Rexroth: Detroit's NEW #1 for the Most Accurate Weather

handsomebradybreaker

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am

Windsor,Frank Beard of ZZ Top is 69 today. (Ironically,Beard is the only BEARDLESS member of the Little Ol' Band From Texas . ) I didn't know Boogie Bryan is still here. How old is he, 80 ?

handsomebradybreaker

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:16 am

"Whisky Man " is one of my favourite Molly Hatchet songs . I met Molly Hatchet at California's in Windsor in '94,where the boys were preforming. Too bad almost all the original members are deceased .

TheGadgetGuy

Post by TheGadgetGuy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am

Looks like WDZH will be staying CHR for the time being. New morning show was named this morning: https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1688 ... o-detroit/

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 am

TheGadgetGuy wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am
Looks like WDZH will be staying CHR for the time being. New morning show was named this morning: https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1688 ... o-detroit/
I love how she says she spent her "entire career" at WDZH. Her "entire career" dates waaaaaaaaaaaay back to 2015. :rollin :rollin :rollin

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Julia is a good talent and Chris Cruise is a native Detroiter with a great resume.

I look forward to hearing the new show.

It should perform much better with listeners over the age of 18 than the old show.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

option1

Post by option1 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:18 pm

So that job was posted for all of about 15 minutes. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Echoing what MW said about Julia; solid jock, curious to hear what she'll sound like in am drive. I'm not familiar with Chris Cruise, but I'll give them a listen for sure.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Well.. we will see what happens. It's not the end all to be all but CHR may stick around around a bit longer.

If they were to flip to some sort of Rock format, The Wheelz name is a passe, people under 30 would have no idea what the hell you were talking about. I do believe WRIF and WCSX need a competitor.

So... Maybe Z98.7 Detroits Real Classic rock or just Classic Rock 98.7 WDZH " Not yours Mom's classic rock station" . harder edged as not to get into WOMC's turf. Classic rock for Gen X,Gen Y, and older Millennial's.

Or... 106.7 Needs to go back to The D 1.0 but maybe Retooled a bit. Rant out.

I-Heart Media, I ask you to please bring back 106.7 The D, but without Journey,Eddie money, or Styx. ALT 106.7 sucks ass!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic