I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

98.7 WDZH scraps morning show - format change ahead?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

98.7 WDZH scraps morning show - format change ahead?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:03 am

Rat & Puff are done.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1688 ... amp-radio/

Entercom as of late has been re-hiring former air & programming talent at several major market stations it now owns. In some cases, new hires are returning to stations after multi-year absences. In other case

Might Buckhead be coming back to Detroit? Or Coop?

Would Entercom be willing to take a risk on Cal Cagno & Jillian?

...or, is this a precursor to the end of Amp Radio? Let's face it, when looking at the money demo or any subsegment thereof, 98.7s' ratings have been mediocre for years.

Recent ratings would suggest there is room for another AC or Hot AC-type station in Detroit. Those same ratings also suggest WCSX is ripe for competition. Even though Entercom's current station group already produces decent male numbers, might Entercom consider pairing 98.7 with 97.1 for a one-two punch from a sales standpoint?

I think the most likely bet is for 98.7 to stay CHR, flip to a current/recurrent intensive Hot AC or morph to Rhythmic AC.

Classic Rock and Variety Hits would perhaps step on WOMC's toes too much - although Variety Hits could certainly be programmed in a manner that keeps overlap with WOMC within reasonable levels. I also think Entercom likely wants a female-centric station to complement the rest of the cluster. WOMC, WYCD and WWJ are largely gender neutral. WXYT-F skews heavily male. Keeping 98.7 female-centric brings balance.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

handsomebradybreaker

Re: 98.7 WDZH scraps morning show - format change ahead?

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:10 am

Anyone remember when 98.7 was WLLZ ? I liked the station back then,though it played the h**l out of Led Zeppelin . (The station's unofficial nickname was "Whole Lotta Led Zeppelin ." )

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Im with you.......give rock fans a reason to listen to boring Det. Rock radio.......Bring back the mighty WHEELZ "Classic Rock that REALLY ROXX" and then hire Cal Cagno as the fucking janitor.

Speaking of janitors.....anyone hear the new guy in the morn. on 100.7 Cool FM??? I really believe his job at the station was the F"ing janitor way to go Blackburn......... :barf

Dave Rexroth: Detroit's NEW #1 for the Most Accurate Weather

handsomebradybreaker

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Windsor ( happy to see another Windsor lad on this chatboard ),about 95 % of today's radio "personalities" would have been janitors when I grew up in the 60's!

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:00 pm

windsor wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:01 pm
Im with you.......give rock fans a reason to listen to boring Det. Rock radio.......Bring back the mighty WHEELZ "Classic Rock that REALLY ROXX" and then hire Cal Cagno as the fucking janitor.

Speaking of janitors.....anyone hear the new guy in the morn. on 100.7 Cool FM??? I really believe his job at the station was the F"ing janitor way to go Blackburn......... :barf
No one under 55 remembers/cares about "Wheelz" ain't happening. I never listened to Rat & Puff based on their names alone. "Rat & Puff"? Please. It sounded like a show for 13 year olds.
If they were going to flip, I think they'd have capped the whole staff, not just AM drive. I can see a HOT AC tweak to chip away at NIC & DVD with Coop coming back, or a syndicated show.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:27 pm

It's tough for out of market talent with no prior track record in Detroit (in any daypart) to succeed in morning drive here.

In the past twenty years, I can think of two examples of true newcomers who succeeded in mornings here:
- Mojo (WKQI)
- Blaine Fowler (WDVD)

In Mojo's case, he was paired with Spike & Sarah, both of whom were familiar voices for a good chunk of the WKQI audience.

Blaine was paired with Lisa Jesswein, someone with prior market experience. Blaine had more of a crowded field to contend with when he arrived. The Mojo in the Morning Show was already strong by that point, Jim Harper was at Magic 105.1, I believe Chuck Gaidica was doing mornings at WNIC, Purtan was still going strong at WOMC, and Jay Towers was still holding down mornings at sister station WDRQ.

You might ask - well what about Dave & Chuck? Remember, Dave Hunter had already been part of 89X's morning show for a number of years. He was initially paired with Kelly Brown, who remained in morning drive after Dean Blundell left. So, not sure that example falls into the same realm as the prior two.

My point is this - if 98.7 is tempted to bring in someone brand new to the Detroit radio audience, it would behoove Entercom to pair that individual with someone who's been on the air here in the D for some length of time and is familiar to the audience.

I know this is an old bit of mine (sound the siren!) - but I cannot help but wonder if Entercom will consider moving Beau Daniels from afternoons at WOMC to mornings at Amp??? I've been banging the drum for CBS / Entercom to give him a morning show for a while now. In fairness to Mr. Daniels, I do not know if such an endeavor would be of interest to him.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:15 pm

handsomebradybreaker wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:10 am
Anyone remember when 98.7 was WLLZ ? I liked the station back then,though it played the h**l out of Led Zeppelin . (The station's unofficial nickname was "Whole Lotta Led Zeppelin ." )
I still have a WLLZ t-shirt. It has Grand Prix cars and a radio antenna on it). They had one of the most instantly recognizable logos, which in hindsight, I think was supposed to conjure up images of the famed Uniroyal tire downriver.

the big question is whether anyone remembers when 99.5 tried its hand at an album-rock format..

handsomebradybreaker

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Y.M. Ionhere,that's really cool,a WLLZ t-shirt . I barely remember 99.5's brief,undistinguished AOR turn .

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:37 pm

I am one of the six people who remembers WOW FM on 99.5

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:40 pm

I remember a personality named Cleet Dempster...claimed he was from Oxnard, CA. (On Wow FM)

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Would a return to WLLZ as a classic rock station allow Entercom to help protect WOMC against WCSX? Would the new Wheelz cut into WOMC's ratings and billing and have the opposite effect, hurting WOMC more in the long run?

If WLLZ does return I would move Steve Kostan and Jim Johnson over to Wheelz for mornings (JJ) and nights (Steve). Add in Doug Podell for the afternoon drive and Karen Savelly middays and you have a solid station. I haven't heard her on the radio in a few years, but Kelly Walker would be a solid choice (in my view) to pair with JJ for the morning show.

If Entercom is in the business of bringing back former talents, I would bring back Mike Scott for middays at WOMC and either bring back Lisa-Lisa Orlando or elevate Boogie Brian to nights on the station.

WLLZ lineup:
Mornings: JJ & Kelly (Jim Johnson and Kelly Walker)
Middays: Karen Savelly
Afternoons: Doug Podell
Nights: Steve Kostan

WOMC Lineup:
Mornings: Stephen Clark & Joanne Purtain
Middays: Mike Scott
Afternoons: Beau Daniels
Nights: Lisa-Lisa Orlando or Boggie Brian

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:27 pm

I remember the sunset years of WLLZ and loved the hell out of it.... I remember being kinda bummed out when they flipped to smooth jazz in 1996, but that turned out to not be so bad, as I quite enjoyed that for when I wanted quieter moments.... i'd actually be fine with either format making a return :P

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

deadend

Post by deadend » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Im under 55...way under 55.... and I remember WLLZ. Awesome station and I remember WOW-fm. Lisa Lisa on a rock station? *shrug*

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:23 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:27 pm
It's tough for out of market talent with no prior track record in Detroit (in any daypart) to succeed in morning drive here.

In the past twenty years, I can think of two examples of true newcomers who succeeded in mornings here:
- Mojo (WKQI)
- Blaine Fowler (WDVD)

In Mojo's case, he was paired with Spike & Sarah, both of whom were familiar voices for a good chunk of the WKQI audience.

Blaine was paired with Lisa Jesswein, someone with prior market experience. Blaine had more of a crowded field to contend with when he arrived. The Mojo in the Morning Show was already strong by that point, Jim Harper was at Magic 105.1, I believe Chuck Gaidica was doing mornings at WNIC, Purtan was still going strong at WOMC, and Jay Towers was still holding down mornings at sister station WDRQ.

You might ask - well what about Dave & Chuck? Remember, Dave Hunter had already been part of 89X's morning show for a number of years. He was initially paired with Kelly Brown, who remained in morning drive after Dean Blundell left. So, not sure that example falls into the same realm as the prior two.

My point is this - if 98.7 is tempted to bring in someone brand new to the Detroit radio audience, it would behoove Entercom to pair that individual with someone who's been on the air here in the D for some length of time and is familiar to the audience.

I know this is an old bit of mine (sound the siren!) - but I cannot help but wonder if Entercom will consider moving Beau Daniels from afternoons at WOMC to mornings at Amp??? I've been banging the drum for CBS / Entercom to give him a morning show for a while now. In fairness to Mr. Daniels, I do not know if such an endeavor would be of interest to him.
Beau is NOT a morning guy, no matter how much you want to believe he is. That should have been aptly demonstrated earlier this year.

WLLZ was a great station in it's day. I was there. Toward the end, it was basically running on fumes. During my time there, we actually used the services of 2 different consultants at the same time. It made for some very long, tense programming meetings. Reviving Wheels would be a way to knock down CSX to some degree. Sprinkling in G'NR and Scorpions on 'OMC ain't going to do the trick.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:07 pm

I remember WLLZ at the tail end, in 1995. If I recall, I tried to win a Green day CD but was unsuccessful. Kind of a hybird of Alternative with some classic rock. Then a couple days before Christmas, I remember turning on the station and hearing Al Green's Lets stay together, I knew something was very wrong.

A Rebirth of Wheelz? I'm not so sure but there would be a place for it. I wouldn't mind, I can get 98.7 pretty good in The Toledo area. Does the HD-2 signal still have smooth jazz?

I-Heart Media, I ask you to please bring back 106.7 The D, but without Journey,Eddie money, or Styx. ALT 106.7 sucks ass!

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8dzyHp9QjQ

Personally I'd like to hear, in a sense sort of where WLLZ left off. Meaning, an emphasis on the 90s. Some 70s and 80s is ok, please keep the butt rock to a minimum. No Jo

Something like:

White Zombie- More Human then Human
Alice in Chains- Rooster
Ozzy- Flying high again
STP- Interstate Love Song
Def Leppard- Lets get rocked
Pantera- Walk
3 doors down- Superman
Van Halen- Right now
Pink Floyd- Learning to Fly
Limp Bizkit- Nookie
Foo Fighters- Money Wrench
Dio- Holy Diver
Green Day- Brain stew/Jaded
Hole- Celebrity Skin
Nazareth- Hair of The Dog
Tool- Sober

I can only hope....
Last edited by Frank Booth on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I-Heart Media, I ask you to please bring back 106.7 The D, but without Journey,Eddie money, or Styx. ALT 106.7 sucks ass!

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:57 pm

Tater Salad, I love the mockup lineup you posted, I really believe rock fans are looking for an alternative to CSX and Riff.And former call letters like WLLZ have the best bang for your buck to bring over those former listeners who long for the Wheelz days and that demo has some bucks to spend being the 45 yrs and older former listeners.

As for WOW FM 99.5 ...the count down was cool during the holidays before the flip then things did take a nose dive.A station before its time but was a creative shot.

Those talking about the old AOR on 99.5 must be thinking of Detroits original rock station WABX. I still have my old ABX tshirt and used to have a jersey with the X pup on it also.Both ABX and W4 106 FM were casualties of the popularity of the Detroits New Wheelz as it was called back then.For a short timewe had 4 Rock stations on the dial at once.It was heaven.

As Wheelz was the casualty of the Sat music networks hard rock Z Rock format based in Dallas Texas.By the end of WLLZ they were experimenting with a Alt format.After being in the market only 9 months Z Rock was tied with CSX for top rockers on the dial.

Just some trivia out of the old memory banks..............

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Since 88.7's given up on Detroit, so they don't exactly count. 101.1,94.7, and I guess 106.7. That's it.

By 1995, Grunge had peaked but still had a good grip. Other Bands were still coming up. A lot of people in there late teens/20s saw 98.7 as the station they had on preset 6, when 88.7, 102.7, 96.3, and 101.1 were playing a crappy song. Z rock dinged them for sure. Planet 96.3 as well. The market had 1 too many stations that played rock, Smooth jazz was a hot format and it made sense.

In early mid 95, dabbling in a Modern Rock based format was pretty much a last ditch effort but it was too late.

I'm 38, so a station that sounds something like from the 90s, think a little like XM's Lithium would be right up my alley. Stuff like Eddie Money, Journey, Loverboy, Whitesnake, and thin Lizzy were before my time. Van Halen, Aerosmith, AC/DC are passe to me. With a few exceptions, as stated. Can we have something that focus's on say 1991-1998-9ish. Some early 2000's are ok too.

I'll add no hairbands either.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Here's my fantasy station launch.......if you know WLLZ you will know the signature tunes I threw in.....jUST a sample of the first few hours of sign on.

98.7 WLLZ Detroit's Wheelz "Classic Rock That REALLY ROCKS"

The Rockets---Born in Detroit
J Geils---House Party
Led Zep--Traveling riverside Blues
Robert Plant--Tall cool One
Def Lep---Lets get Rocked
Cinderella----Coming Home
Scorps---Wind of Change
ZZ Top--Beer Drinkers and hell raisers
Nugent ---Out of control
Red Rider--Lunatic Fringe
Kansas--Play that game tonight
Donnie Iris-- Ah Leah
Heart---Heartless
Aerosmith---The Lightning Strikes
Joe Perry Project---Let the music do the talking
Loverboy---Lovin every min. of it
Yes---owner of a broken heart
Rainbow---Stone cold
Alice Cooper----Poison
Y&T---summertime girls
Ratt--Wanted man
Van Halen---Amsterdam
Black Crows---Remedy
Triumph---magic power
707---I can be good for you
Uriah Heep---easy livin
Dio---last in line
Tesla----song and emotion
Head East----never been any reason
Kim Mitchell---Go for Soda
Rush---Dreamline
Kiss--Srutter
Ozzy----Shot in the dark
Billy Squire---Too Daze Gone
Pat Benatar----you better run
Jefferson Starship---Jane
Blackfoot----Highway Song
Molly hatchet---- Whiskyman
Nugent---Yank Me Crank Me LIVE

Easy format to program if you know metro Detroit and its rock radio history.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:01 am

Windsor, I'm no programming expert so I don't know if it would succeed, but I LOVE your playlist. WCSX has the most vanilla, repetitious playlist. I can't stand to hear the same Zeppelin, Skynyrd, AC/DC, Rush songs over and over and over again. A little variety in the playlist would be nice.

I would love for a classic rock station to mix in deeper tracks and album cuts. Very few formats could get away with going deeper and diving into album cuts, but in my uneducated opinion, I believe that classic rock is one of them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic