I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Kirk Gibson. tiger tv broadcasts

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Goldsworth

Kirk Gibson. tiger tv broadcasts

Post by Goldsworth » Fri May 25, 2018 7:32 pm

This may have been discussed here if so please forgive me. Does anyone else think Kirk Gibson is absolutely horrible doing tiger broadcasts? Granted he has some valuable insights to the game but his delivery is just horrid in my opinion. He has a flat monotone that just puts me to sleep, He needs someone,to work with him on inflection and delivery. Please Tigers end this experiment. Jack Morris was just as bad but he’s not back this year.

radiofan

Re: Kirk Gibson. tiger tv broadcasts

Post by radiofan » Fri May 25, 2018 9:29 pm

I think Gibson does just fine. I don't need fake enthusiasm and rah rah crap. I think he just has a conversational kind of tone that come across quite well in my opinion.

80ssports

Post by 80ssports » Fri May 25, 2018 9:37 pm

I agree radiofan. Gibby is fine, gives a player/mgr. perspective. Don't give me the rah rah crap. If that's what you want watch ESPN Sunday night games if you want to be entertained which apparently people do. Gibby has got some health issues too but whatever I guess people want to be entertained with cheerleader antics.

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Fri May 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Um, many broadcasters have done a good job for decades without fake enthusiasm or cheerleader antics. The alternatives to Gibson don't have to be either Jim Price or A-Rod.

Gibson's material is actually not bad if you listen closely, but his voice is so monotone that listening closely is one hell of a chore. The OP is right, he needs coaching on his delivery.

80ssports

Post by 80ssports » Fri May 25, 2018 11:10 pm

Um.. to me Gibby is like a buddy and myself talking to me about what's going on in the game as we watch. Personally I don't need the drama with every pitch

handsomebradybreaker

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Sat May 26, 2018 9:30 am

How 'bout Kirk Gibson as radio analyst ? He'd be TEN THOUSAND TIMES better than Jimmie William Price of Harrisburg,Pa. !!!!!!

handsomebradybreaker

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Sat May 26, 2018 9:33 am

80ssports,MY buddy,Jamie Logsdson,HATES sports and sports fans,so maybe not in my case. Also,Gibson would beat up Dickerson the first time Double-D mentioned an "unassisted" double play with multiple fielders involved.

proxima3

Post by proxima3 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:58 pm

handsomebradybreaker wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:33 am
80ssports,MY buddy,Jamie Logsdson,HATES sports and sports fans,so maybe not in my case. Also,Gibson would beat up Dickerson the first time Double-D mentioned an "unassisted" double play with multiple fielders involved.
The Space bar is you friend. You two should get acquainted.

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Sat May 26, 2018 2:17 pm

handsomebradybreaker wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:33 am
Tick...tick...tick...

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

handsomebradybreaker

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Sat May 26, 2018 3:40 pm

But who'd replace Dickerson on play-by play ?

Goldsworth

Post by Goldsworth » Sat May 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Please don’t misunderstand my criticism it’s not about rah rah rah it’s about some lively inflection and delivery. Ernie Harwell fit the bill, George Kell fit the bill, Kirk Gibson does not he needs some coaching and training to get better....until then he is dull and boring.

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Sat May 26, 2018 7:37 pm

Kirk Gibson is the answer to the question "Why do people say baseball is boring?"

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Sat May 26, 2018 7:49 pm

I think Gibby is doing just fine in the booth. A lot better than the Rod and Mario IMO.

craigrussell100

Post by craigrussell100 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:01 am

Uhhhh....."Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... /26513165/

Town to Town...Up and Down the dial...

bennietheblade

Post by bennietheblade » Sun May 27, 2018 11:07 am

Gibby is fantastic on the broadcast. He has a nice dry wit and brings a different perspective to the game. Great stories too.

SoupySez

Post by SoupySez » Sun May 27, 2018 12:56 pm

Goldsworth wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:32 pm
This may have been discussed here if so please forgive me. Does anyone else think Kirk Gibson is absolutely horrible doing tiger broadcasts? Granted he has some valuable insights to the game but his delivery is just horrid in my opinion. He has a flat monotone that just puts me to sleep, He needs someone,to work with him on inflection and delivery. Please Tigers end this experiment. Jack Morris was just as bad but he’s not back this year.
Ever stop and think that because of him having Parkinson's disease, that it might affect the way he talks? I think he's doing a great job considering. I like the insight he gives on the games and I hope he can do it for a long time before that terrible disease gets worse and prevents him from doing a great many things.

Goldsworth

Post by Goldsworth » Sun May 27, 2018 1:49 pm

He had the same problems with his delivery before he was diagnosed with Parkinsons. I have no issue with his knowledge of the game and his abilty to analyze the sport. Another example of a monotone delivery was Chris Osgood doing redwing hockey.It's clear he had some coaching and training cause he is much improved in his approach.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Sun May 27, 2018 5:21 pm

He's been a horrible broadcaster before Parkinson's. But let's just assume it has taken a toll on his ability to speak...then maybe broadcasting isn't the gig for you. Sorry to say it but it's true.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun May 27, 2018 7:25 pm

Kirk Gibson does a good job in the booth his second stint with Fox Sports Detroit he was in the booth in the late 90's when Fox Sports took over for Pass Sports.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

radiofan

Post by radiofan » Sun May 27, 2018 10:55 pm

I don't believe the Parkinson's is affecting Gibson in the booth at all. I used to listen to him with Eli Zaret and Gary Danielson on the radio when they were on. His tone wasn't much different. I think he just has a conversational style and I think it's just fine. He's very knowledgeable and brings good insights into the game. I appreciate that and value that approach instead of an over the top rabid fanboy or a hypercritical scapegoater. I'm not sure what you critics are looking for.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic