All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WHNE needs more "Like's"

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
windsor

WHNE needs more "Like's"

Post by windsor » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:38 pm

WHNE LD rf20 is at the NAB Conv. in Vegas and are working on more channels and better equipment for the near future but are having a hard sell that they matter to metro Detroit to the new diginets' bc of so low of Likes on their facebook page.

Could the buzzboard posters plz give them some help since we all love broadcasting in some form and show that we support even our low power OTA digital tv stations in metro Detroit............give them a LIKE!!!!! thx. :blink

https://www.facebook.com/WHNEDetroit/po ... &ref=notif

Blackburn Radio sucks @ rock formats PERIOD!!!!!

SolarMax

Re: WHNE needs more "Like's"

Post by SolarMax » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Ok, maybe I''ll do the "Like" on their page, even though, while they have 7 streams, the only one of occasional interest to me is RetroTV 14.2. For a while, they carried a "Bollywood" channel, DIYA TV, now gone, which I found to be a hoot to watch, in small doses.
Sometime last year, there was a bogus "WHNE" (not "WHNEDetroit") FB page, whose perpetrator had put up some nasty things about the WHNE owners or management, and racist comments about the market. Seems to have finally been taken down.
While it's good that they're trying to make technical and program improvements, relying on "likes" on a Facebook page few people know about is not exactly an effective way to do market research or generate buzz. I have never seen from them any kind of print or online promotion, nor any on-air self promotion of the station or its offerings. I realize it's a low-budget operation but you have to wave your flag, toot your horn to get noticed, and watched. The fact that cable doesn't have to carry the LPTVs doesn't help their cause either.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:40 pm

The WHNE owners are good friends of mine and as it was mentioned on their Facebook page they were in Las Vegas at NAB last week. Just so you know, there are a few new program networks coming to Detroit later this year. They're trying to get one or more for their station. One of the things that WHNE can do is to show these affiliate people that the station has a lot of FB likes. That is why they were asking those that read the FB posts to let their friends know about WHNE by sharing posts and asking them to "Like" the page.

Don't all businesses ask people to "Like" their pages?

A smaller station like WHNE has to use grass roots to promote the station like FB.

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 pm

TVBobn: I hope WHNE survives the digital re-pack... i know Detroit Public Television is gonna be landing on UHF 20. I recommend VHF 8 or 10, but try to have more than 300 watts to reach more than a few miles! WUDT (23) learned the hard way with that.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:47 am

Fox......WHNE must be going to survive since theyre trying to add more channels.In my direction in east Windsor theyre the strongest of the Det low power stations.

Had to buy a new cleawarstream 4V at Best Buy on sale and thought I would try it to maybe finally be able to pick up WUDT more stable.And it did the job.Have WHNE at 66% and WUDT now at 55% from 32%, W33BY at 34% which is really a waste of bandwidth and will null WEWS rf15 Clev. in the repack relocation boo............

Blackburn Radio sucks @ rock formats PERIOD!!!!!

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:44 am

I know... it's just that they better act fast before all the best channels are taken. WUDL-LD (19) just got assigned UHF 35.

12thstreetbrainiac

Post by 12thstreetbrainiac » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:52 am

Did WHNE (14) find a new home in the 2-36 TV band yet?

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 am

Not yet, but I'm watching the FCC records like a hawk for it. VHF 8's no longer available, since WUDT-LD (Daystar) is moving back there again (but at 3000 watts this time, instead of just 300 watts).

I'd recommend VHF 10, BUT... that might be short-spaced to WILX 10 and WTOL 11... or VHF 12, but again, shortspaced to WTOL 11 and WJRT also on 12 (and WTVG on 13)

12thstreetbrainiac

Post by 12thstreetbrainiac » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:42 am

What about WHNE (14) moving to 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:37 pm

I don't believe there is such a thing as adjacent channel short spacing in the DTV era. The only consideration for a Class A station on RF-10 would be WILX, I believe.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat May 26, 2018 1:57 am

Well, they're moving to a new location on the dial... but you're not going to like it.

VHF 3.

Oh god. Such a nasty choice.... VHF-Low (2-6) is HORRIBLE for digital.... it wasn't even that great for analog either.... VHF-High (7-13) is a bit better... this means I likely won't be able to get them anymore with my 7-69 antenna.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sat May 26, 2018 7:10 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 1:57 am
Well, they're moving to a new location on the dial... but you're not going to like it.

VHF 3.

Oh god. Such a nasty choice.... VHF-Low (2-6) is HORRIBLE for digital.... it wasn't even that great for analog either.... VHF-High (7-13) is a bit better... this means I likely won't be able to get them anymore with my 7-69 antenna.
Looks like I too may no longer be able to pick them up after the move.

And by VHF-Low being horrible for digital...you should ask people in Philadelphia since WPVI, which has that city's leading newscasts, actually broadcasts on digital VHF-Low.

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat May 26, 2018 8:26 pm

Oh, WPVI's reception is terrible. People evein within the city of Philadelphia can't pick it up half the time, due to the H*** antennas needed, the low power it operates at, and the interference that plagues the VHF-Low band (which also affects the shortwave and mediumwave/AM bands too).... are they SURE they couldn't use 10 or 12 instead?

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sat May 26, 2018 9:22 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:26 pm
Oh, WPVI's reception is terrible. People evein within the city of Philadelphia can't pick it up half the time, due to the H*** antennas needed, the low power it operates at, and the interference that plagues the VHF-Low band (which also affects the shortwave and mediumwave/AM bands too).... are they SURE they couldn't use 10 or 12 instead?
12 is being used by WHYY's digital signal.

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat May 26, 2018 10:00 pm

mtburb wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:22 pm
RingtailedFox wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:26 pm
12 is being used by WHYY's digital signal.
I meant for WHNE here in Detroit.. sorry. Yeah, I know there's no room at the inn for WPVI (unless they decide to start buddying up with another broadcaster)...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 26, 2018 10:21 pm

I wonder why they didn't choose VHF 4? (I presume 14.x can still be used for PSIP purposes.)

WDIV's analog signal on RF channel 4 was nice & clear. I remember being able to get a nice picture as far away as Ann Arbor when I lived there. Electrical interference was minimal. No squiggly lines from electrical interference like I often encountered on WJBK in those days.

I can tell you reception on RF channel 3 in the Grand Rapids area was pretty lousy during the analog era. WWMT always seemed to have dancing white or yellow diagonal lines zipping across the screen when watching on any TV set that used rabbit ears. If those rabbit ears were below average surrounding terrain, "snow" became an issue, too. WOOD-TV, whose TX site was only 2 miles closer, always came in clear as a bell with minimal effort.

At least WHNE didn't pick RF channel 5 or RF channel 6; both of those options would've been worse.

RF channel 10 would've been a great spot for them, but unfortunately, the FCC defines service contours so generously that WILX's signal is protected all the way to the I-275 corridor! (In southern Oakland County, that protection extends as far east as Orchard Lake Rd!)

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat May 26, 2018 10:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:21 pm
RF channel 10 would've been a great spot for them, but unfortunately, the FCC defines service contours so generously that WILX's signal is protected all the way to the I-275 corridor! (In southern Oakland County, that protection extends as far east as Orchard Lake Rd!)
That strikes me as odd... Better protect that TV, but screw all those FM stations out there when there are LPFM translators to license.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sun May 27, 2018 2:50 pm

VHF 4's in use by Live Sports Radio, LLC at Ford Field for their wireless microphone apparatus or whatever white space devices they have that need the frequency... still, VHF 12 should be doable, since WJRT is all the way in flint and is blocked by the terrain...

Wait, why would VHF 5 or 6 be even worse than VHF 3? is it due to their proximity to the FM band?

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sun May 27, 2018 7:28 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:50 pm
VHF 4's in use by Live Sports Radio, LLC at Ford Field for their wireless microphone apparatus or whatever white space devices they have that need the frequency... still, VHF 12 should be doable, since WJRT is all the way in flint and is blocked by the terrain...

Wait, why would VHF 5 or 6 be even worse than VHF 3? is it due to their proximity to the FM band?
Unfortunately, that's another one where the FCC's service countours get in the way so that WJRT's signal is protected as far southeast as the intersection of Woodward and Lone Pine in Bloomfield Hills! (it extends even further south in Washtenaw County, as far south as a few hundred feet short of the Chelsea city limits!)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Exactly. This would be especially problematic with VHF 6.

VHF 5 might be no worse than VHF 3 these days, but my experience from back in the day was that VHF 5 always was interference prone. Instead of seeing plain old snow, I would often see bizarre black and white trapezoidal patterns on the screen on VHF 5.

The only way VHF-hi *might* be an option for WHNE would be for them to adopt a severely restrictive directional pattern. Use of RF channel 3 is the lesser of two evils, in this case.

On paper anyway, the RF 3 facilities would actually give WHNE a somewhat impressive coverage footprint.

https://fccdata.org/?appid=25076ff3633c ... cid=168737

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic