I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Clark & Purtain

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
LouPerry

Clark & Purtain

Post by LouPerry » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Obviously WOMC/Entercom is putting a lot of effort and money in its mornings here in Detroit. Frankly I’m surprised. WOMC has consistently been in the top 3 in the market without the extra effort. Must mention Steve and JoAnn aren’t a comedy duo nor motivational – get your ass out of bed. I don’t know how much these two earn but accepting the fact they made big bucks at WXYZ-TV they must be paid more than minimum wage. But for both, enough to get up in the middle of the night?
What does this mean for Detroit radio – a lot. Classic Hits as in other major markets is the ratings winner. Entercom has decided to spend money in a market that has been declining that in itself is surprising.
So? The sales department at WOMC and local Entercom has been having organisms. The test of (they promote the show as Stephen Clark and JoAnne Purtain – not a radio friendly title – How ‘bout Steve and Jo?) will attacked new ears.
Research shows a friendly, funny morning team works most in the morning this will be a test of news vs. everyday. Let’s see what happens.

radiodoc

Re: Clark & Purtain

Post by radiodoc » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:01 pm

WOMC has been #1 without the need for two “marquee” talent. I’m fairly certain neither are being paid top dollar to get out of bed. But rather the fear of losing their name in the market is a much greater pull than money. Both are nice people. Clark has a lot of energy and is an all around “good” guy. Hopefully, he’ll have the opportunity to share that on the radio.

lidoshuffle21

Post by lidoshuffle21 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:02 pm

I still miss Drew & Mike

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:15 pm

Thinking of both of those voices...... I dont think they will sound very good with theyre banter between Elton and Bryan Adams.

But thats just me.............

Dave Rexroth: Detroit's NEW #1 for the Most Accurate Weather

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:37 pm

I listened between 6:30a and about 7:30a this morning.

Stephen during every single stopset talked about Purtan joining him on Monday and how great that's going to be. He had no other meaningful show content. Perhaps he was told to ultra-hype JoAnne's pending arrival, but it was boring, uncreative radio.

On the positive side, Clark's delivery seemed OK, especially for someone who likely hasn't done a radio shift in many years.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Smirnoff

Post by Smirnoff » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:06 am

Just don't find traditional radio "entertaining".....too many other fulfilling options;

*AM/FM radio is in the midst of a massive drop-off as a music-discovery tool by younger generations, with self-reported listening to AM/FM radio among teens aged 13 and up declining by almost 50 percentage points between 2005 and 2016. Music discovery as a whole is moving away from AM/FM radio and toward YouTube, Spotify and Pandora, especially among younger listeners, with 19% of a 2017 study of surveyed listeners citing it as a source for keeping up-to-date with music — down from 28% the previous year. Among 12-24 year olds who find music discovery important, AM/FM radio (50%) becomes even less influential, trailing YouTube (80%), Spotify (59%), and Pandora (53%).

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:33 am

Highly recognizable names and "ok" news presenters... but entertainers? We'll have to wait and see. My guess is that it's good for the sales department. Known personalities to present to clients.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:38 pm

It appears management is going by name recognition only. Interesting to see the chemistry between two millionaires on the air.

They both do better looking for news jobs in other markets.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:18 pm

whitebalance wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:38 pm
It appears management is going by name recognition only. Interesting to see the chemistry between two millionaires on the air.

They both do better looking for news jobs in other markets.
Why would they want to leave the area and go do News somewhere else? Did you ever consider there are more factors than just them at work?

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:38 pm

It might be interesting to hear their takes on current events as radio personalities instead of TV journalists. If they bring their opinions out and keep it real they could make a stir, pleasing some and angering others.

Howard Jones

Post by Howard Jones » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:09 pm

One would think that LouPerry would get the spelling of Purtan correct, just once, when posting about any of the multiple members of their family that have been involved in Detroit media for the last 53 years.

Things can only get better

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:16 am

Ted Baxter’s brother and the cheery flight attendant together for morning drive dreck.

Nostalgic nepotism attracting an audience? How about the duo’s chemistry? Funny? Fake? Flat?

In less than a year distracted drivers will decide.

Meanwhile - have respect for successful radio personalities. Contrary to assumption - most people don’t have the talent to attract and keep a radio audience.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 am

Show is sounding ok so far!!

JoAnne said Dick is going to be calling into the show a little after 8 am!! Will be cool to hear his voice again

Music is my life!

Goldsworth

Post by Goldsworth » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:11 am

I think they may have an issue in that Clark and Purtan may appeal to one demographic and the music may appeal to a compete!y different demographic. Too much talk and you loose one and too much music and you loose the other. If they went back to a classic oldies format they may appeal to more.listeners....The same music the station played when they had Dick Purtan.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:38 am

Goldsworth wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:11 am
I think they may have an issue in that Clark and Purtan may appeal to one demographic and the music may appeal to a compete!y different demographic. Too much talk and you loose one and too much music and you loose the other. If they went back to a classic oldies format they may appeal to more.listeners....The same music the station played when they had Dick Purtan.
You make it sound like nobody listens and they are in ratings desperation...

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Wonder if Lou spells a banana-like fruit as "plantan.":)

I can't imagine it's going to be cutting edge radio. I foresee a lot of "battle of the sexes" and wishy-washy talk. Probably a LOT of stuff directly from prep services.

Goldsworth

Post by Goldsworth » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:09 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:38 am
Goldsworth wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:11 am
You make it sound like nobody listens and they are in ratings desperation...
No just saying that they might not have the right mix of on air talent and music and they may face a rating.drop..

Tman

Post by Tman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:10 am

Play the oldies during the morning show . Why are program directors so afraid of that music and demographic ?

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:06 am

Tman wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:10 am
Play the oldies during the morning show . Why are program directors so afraid of that music and demographic ?
PD's aren't, advertisers don't want them, and you have to follow the money just like any other business.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Who wants an "Oldies" market? Joanne just turned 49, Clark can't be that much older.

Classic hits is even a little too old for them.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic