Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Comcast and NBC in Detroit

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Re: Comcast and NBC in Detroit

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:08 pm
Do you live in the city? I own houses in the city it’s not making a comeback.

I know people who do. I trust them over you. No offense.

They would be the first to tell you that city still had a lot of issues. Even Duggan acknowledges there’s still much work to be done. However, to say the city isn’t coming back after the progress that has already been made is just silly.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:18 pm

You don’t own property or live in the city therefore you really don’t get it, And base it on what friends tell you so I get it, You don’t know what you’re saying then.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:24 pm

As for SW Detroit, again, revitalization of the neighborhoods just started recently. That’s another beast that has recently been tackled. We are seeing neighborhoods like Brightmore (sp?) beginning to rebuild. They just started that project on 6 Mile and Livernois. We probably won’t see the full results for at least 10 years but it’s coming. As I said, the Mayor has vision and he’s making things happen.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:30 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:18 pm
You don’t own property or live in the city therefore you really don’t get it, And base it on what friends tell you so I get it, You don’t know what you’re saying then.

People that I know do. I trust them, especially if they are involved in revitalization projects. Some of the stuff that’s happening now have been in the works for years. If they actually live in Detroit and the things that they said would happen are transpiring now, they obviously know what they are talking about.

There’s that project near 8 Mile and by the old State Fair grounds. I know about that because I used to work there. It’s more than just that shopping plaza that’s there now.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:24 pm
As for SW Detroit, again, revitalization of the neighborhoods just started recently. That’s another beast that has recently been tackled. We are seeing neighborhoods like Brightmore (sp?) beginning to rebuild. They just started that project on 6 Mile and Livernois. We probably won’t see the full results for at least 10 years but it’s coming. As I said, the Mayor has vision and he’s making things happen.
You have absolutely no concept of how many more people we would need to make a dent here and be a growing market that would be attractive to someone looking to make an investment do you?

It’s in the millions of new residents that would be required and to top it off these small redevelopment projects here and there you are talking about outside of the near downtown neighborhoods aren’t really attracting new people... it’s just reshuffling people that already are in the area and already count. So yes things are slowly improving but we are not going back to top 10 anything... we aren’t even going to sniff keeping pace with Miami’s frenetic growth. The Midwest just isn’t a growth area in general. If they are buying it’ll be in the south and west.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:49 pm

I don’t live in the city but I have friends who do. It’s still a mess. The population is still falling. Eventually it has to slow down- even St. Louis which has Detroit like percentage losses has slowed.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:52 pm

You have to have more of a connection to the hood in order to understand what it’s really like, And the way it is, If there’s revitalization it’s only where the money is, Plain and simple.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:54 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:
You have absolutely no concept of how many more people we would need to make a dent here and be a growing market that would be attractive to someone looking to make an investment do you?

It’s in the millions of new residents that would be required and to top it off these small redevelopment projects here and there you are talking about outside of the near downtown neighborhoods aren’t really attracting new people... it’s just reshuffling people that already are in the area and already count. So yes things are slowly improving but we are not going back to top 10 anything... we aren’t even going to sniff keeping pace with Miami’s frenetic growth. The Midwest just isn’t a growth area in general. If they are buying it’ll be in the south and west.
If some who live and work in the city have said they expect a population increase soon, abeit a small one, I believe them.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:00 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:52 pm
You have to have more of a connection to the hood in order to understand what it’s really like, And the way it is, If there’s revitalization it’s only where the money is, Plain and simple.
As I said, even the Mayor acknowledged the city still has much work to do. He acknowledged it in his state of the city address. He even had numbers and facts to back him up. He isn’t a Kwame, where he took credit for the work someone else did. He gets it. That’s why he’s the right man to run this city, right now.

As I said, the people I know will be the first to tell you there’s still a lot of work to do. At the same time, they are looking at the overall big picture, not just from a certain bubble or a certain neighborhood. If you truly want to know, I once talked to someone who works with Mayor Mike Duggan, and who lives in the city. I was negative about the city and this person gave me a better perspective. Had facts to back them up, too.

To ignore the massive improvements this city has made over the past few years is silly.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:02 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:54 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:

If some who live and work in the city have said they expect a population increase soon, abeit a small one, I believe them.
And I expect one too but it won’t matter to anyone who wants to buy anything.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Detroit will keep losing its population status the next census is in 2020 that’s next year, Duggan is already campaigning to get the residents counted he was on 760 last week talking about it, Detroit currently has 700,000 residents, I bet when that census hits it will be 500,000 we will see.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:04 pm

Getting back on message:

I personally think NBC buying WDIV would be a bad move. I feel the things I don’t like about Local 4 would get worse if it was an NBC owned station. To put it plainly, if you think Ch 4 has a liberal agenda now, it would be far worse as an NBC O&O, for obvious reasons. That’s how I look at it.

At the same time, when I get a funny feeling about something, it always come to pass. Not saying this will happen, but in this day and age, you never know.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:05 pm

Change the subject matter, Good one!

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:02 pm
Detroit will keep losing its population status the next census is in 2020 that’s next year, Duggan is already campaigning to get the residents counted he was on 760 last week talking about it, Detroit currently has 700,000 residents, I bet when that census hits it will be 500,000 we will see.

500,000? Now that’s extreme! It was like 673,000 (estimate) in 2017.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:42 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:04 pm
Getting back on message:

I personally think NBC buying WDIV would be a bad move. I feel the things I don’t like about Local 4 would get worse if it was an NBC owned station. To put it plainly, if you think Ch 4 has a liberal agenda now, it would be far worse as an NBC O&O, for obvious reasons. That’s how I look at it.

At the same time, when I get a funny feeling about something, it always come to pass. Not saying this will happen, but in this day and age, you never know.
4 is aligned with the Detroit News... I wouldn’t exactly call them a liberal bastion... their core demo is Conservative suburban whites...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic