Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WWJ/WKBD launches news operation

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

WWJ/WKBD launches news operation

Post by mtburb » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:15 am

CBS has finally realized there is enough room for competition in the Detroit market and is building a TV news operation for WWJ/WKBD. CBS will launch morning, 6 PM and 11 PM newscasts on WWJ and a morning newscast extension and 10 PM newscast on WKBD.

Full story

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

tivoking

Re: WWJ/WKBD launches news operation

Post by tivoking » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:08 pm

4 news shows in the area would be awesome! 3 is not enough! -April Fool's comment.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:02 pm

We don’t have enough fake news outlets in Detroit, We need more, April Fools or not.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:06 pm

Is there any news outlet that isn't considered "fake news" by so many? I've seen objective sources say that local news is one of the more unbiased sources as far as political leanings go, or is that also fake news?

DAC

Post by DAC » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:53 pm

I just don't understand why so many channels wait until 4:30 AM to start the morning news. I mean, c'mon! Start it as soon as Fallon/Kimmel/Corden/et al sign off! WE NEED MORE!

Deleted User 3751

Post by Deleted User 3751 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:08 pm

The would be fools if they ever thought of doing NEWS.
:lol:

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:49 pm

Fake news!!!

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:29 pm

Would be good to have Amyre Maykupson back in the anchor chair too. :-)

No joke.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:36 am

Kind of odd that Detroit can only support three TV newsrooms while smaller Grand Rapids can support four

Sgt. Sackto

Post by Sgt. Sackto » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:03 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:36 am
Kind of odd that Detroit can only support three TV newsrooms while smaller Grand Rapids can support four
Anybody who listens to anything out of the area knows are poorly Detroit is served in both TV and radio. Abysmal doesn't even describe it. Really best to watch and listen to what you need and ditch the rest. What Frank Hamer aka Kevin Costner says about car radio in Highwaymen speaks for me.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:10 pm

Grand Rapids has three.

WWMT is in Kalamazoo.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:05 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:10 pm
Grand Rapids has three.

WWMT is in Kalamazoo.
But they are in the same DMA, which means four.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:28 pm

FTBallfan asserted "smaller Grand Rapids" supports "four newsrooms."

As someone who grew up in West Michigan and visits the area regularly, I can tell you very little news viewership north of Allegan & Barry counties goes to WWMT. Their bread & butter is the I-94 corridor. Little of the news department's resources is spent covering news in the Grand Rapids area. The sportscasts are also are very heavily slanted to the southern part of the DMA.

There have been a couple periods during the past 30 years where WWMT devoted more attention to the I-196 corridor, and the last such period did not last long. WXMI becoming more established & gaining traction caused WWMT to more or less wtihdraw.

I'll provide a better example of a small market with four operational, autonomous TV newsrooms - Green Bay. Even though the market is technically the "Green Bay - Appleton - Oshkosh" market, all four TV stations are based in the immediate Green Bay area. However, the #4 station in the market - WGBA - has been getting its ass kicked in the ratings for years.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to be to Detroit what WGBA is to Green Bay or WGCL-TV is to Atlanta.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:59 pm

The question is not "will 4 tv stations be serving Detroit with News?" but when will it drop to 2 and then 1 and which station will be the last?

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:41 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:28 pm
FTBallfan asserted "smaller Grand Rapids" supports "four newsrooms."

As someone who grew up in West Michigan and visits the area regularly, I can tell you very little news viewership north of Allegan & Barry counties goes to WWMT. Their bread & butter is the I-94 corridor. Little of the news department's resources is spent covering news in the Grand Rapids area. The sportscasts are also are very heavily slanted to the southern part of the DMA.

There have been a couple periods during the past 30 years where WWMT devoted more attention to the I-196 corridor, and the last such period did not last long. WXMI becoming more established & gaining traction caused WWMT to more or less wtihdraw.

I'll provide a better example of a small market with four operational, autonomous TV newsrooms - Green Bay. Even though the market is technically the "Green Bay - Appleton - Oshkosh" market, all four TV stations are based in the immediate Green Bay area. However, the #4 station in the market - WGBA - has been getting its ass kicked in the ratings for years.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to be to Detroit what WGBA is to Green Bay or WGCL-TV is to Atlanta.
Historically, WOOD is the only GR area station that covered the entire market. WKZO/WWMT mainly covered the I-94 corridor while WZZM mainly covered the area between I-96 and M-55, competing more with 9&10 than WWMT

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic