Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Political Correctness

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Political Correctness

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:26 pm

Killing time today in one of the stores, while my wife shopped for whatever it is women shop for.

Came across the old board game for kids that used to be called Snakes and Ladders. Now, they're calling it Chutes and Ladders.. I suppose the images of snakes were too violent or too scary for kids.

Why stop there. Time to look at some of the other kids games. Old Maid. It's sexist and ageist. Change it to Chronologically Enhanced Single Woman.

Then there's Monopoly. Shouldn't expose kids to the harsh realities of Capitalism at such an early age. Call it The Welfare State. Subsidize the rents on Baltic Avenue and Mediterranean Avenue.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14935

Re: Political Correctness

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Hopefully it wasn’t Victoria Secret, My Wife gets lost in that place.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 pm
Maybe not lost. Trying to escape.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:57 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:26 pm
Killing time today in one of the stores, while my wife shopped for whatever it is women shop for.

Came across the old board game for kids that used to be called Snakes and Ladders. Now, they're calling it Chutes and Ladders.. I suppose the images of snakes were too violent or too scary for kids.

Why stop there. Time to look at some of the other kids games. Old Maid. It's sexist and ageist. Change it to Chronologically Enhanced Single Woman.

Then there's Monopoly. Shouldn't expose kids to the harsh realities of Capitalism at such an early age. Call it The Welfare State. Subsidize the rents on Baltic Avenue and Mediterranean Avenue.
Chutes and Ladders debuted in the U.S. in 1943. It repackaged Snakes and ladders with more modern lessons than the Victorian era ones in the British version which repackaged the original ancient Indian game Snakes and Ladders by replacing the Indian lessons with Victorian era ones...

It’s not political correctness at all... it was a way for Milton Bradley to repurpose the game and differentiate it for an American audience when they introduced it here in the 1940’s and I’m pretty sure the Chutes and Ladders version is older than you are... there were copies of Snakes and Ladders here I’m sure but it was a British thing really prior to 1943...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:00 pm

It was snakes and ladders when I was a kid, and when our kids were kids. Maybe it's a Canadian Thing.

Now. How about Tiddlywinks?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:00 pm
It was snakes and ladders when I was a kid, and when our kids were kids.

Now. How about Tiddlywinks?
Right... you’re in Canada... my bad... you got the British version... here in the states it’s been chutes and ladders for 76 years... not exactly a modern or earth shattering development.... and definitely NOT from the era of political correctness... just a different version for marketing purposes... the Victorian era stuff and the snakes wouldn’t have worked on an American audience I think...

What about tiddlywinks? Nobody has mentioned changing the name to avoid tittywinks jokes or anything...
Last edited by Deleted User 8570 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 pm
Steve Korvette wrote:
Well it’s Dr. Bryce, Here to tell me what’s ailing me today. I hope you’re not missing an episode of House.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:03 pm
Bryce wrote:
Steve Korvette wrote:
Well it’s Dr. Bryce, Here to tell me what’s ailing me today. I hope you’re not missing an episode of House.
Yup. Definitely trying to escape.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:28 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:26 pm
Steve Korvette wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:03 pm
Bryce wrote:
Steve Korvette wrote:
Yup. Definitely trying to escape.
Just admit your ignorance, And the fact that you were out of line making assumptions and jokes about someone else’s health situation, That was totally childish on your part, I over estimated you that was my bad, Now maybe others will see the real Bryce.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm

I'm reminded of an old joke...

It's long...I'll skip to the punch line...

"If you have a big dick, you don't need a Korvette."

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:16 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm

When you start talking like a child then that’s the end of the conversation, Again you’re showing everyone “The Real Bryce”, It’s time you seek help for your ignorance and arrogant attitude and see what can be done about your immaturity as well. Have A Great Day!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:16 am
Bryce wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm

When you start talking like a child then that’s the end of the conversation, Again you’re showing everyone “The Real Bryce”, It’s time you seek help for your ignorance and arrogant attitude and see what can be done about your immaturity as well. Have A Great Day!
Ok what thread did I not click on that started this back and forth?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 pm

It was always called Chutes & Ladders when I was a kid didn't know it was called Snakes & Ladders never heard of that before.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:27 pm

I'm 34 and I knew it as Snakes and Ladders when I was a kid. My older family members once corrected me and said "oh it's like Chutes and Ladders."

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:00 pm

I've only know it as chutes, not snakes

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic