Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The End of my Walmart Years

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 14888

Re: The End of my Walmart Years

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 pm
As long as there are messes to be cleaned up, Walmart will need employees to do the cleaning. They may be able to con their customers into doing the jobs of the cashiers. But the customers aren't going to take on the duties of the cleaning staff.
As long as the see you coming then they can lock the doors on you from going in, Then the store employees don’t have to worry about cleaning up a mess. Hey there’s the ice cream guy LOCK THE DOORS!.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:42 pm
I refuse to shop at Walmart. Haven't been inside one of my own volition in probably 20 years.
Now I know it’s safe to shop at Wal-Mart, Vic don’t shop there.
Last edited by Deleted User 14888 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
As long as there are messes to be cleaned up, Walmart will need employees to do the cleaning. They may be able to con their customers into doing the jobs of the cashiers. But the customers aren't going to take on the duties of the cleaning staff.
What you did was destruction of property. I'm sure those employees that had to clean up the mess would tell you to stick your political statement where the sun don't shine.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Amen, Brother you hit it on the head, Well said. I hope the cameras picked that up maybe they got Turkeys plate number off the parking lot cam. You might get a bill for the ice cream in the mail. ICE CREAM Party 🎈 at Turkey’s house.
Last edited by Deleted User 14888 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:00 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:40 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
There isn’t a cleaning staff. The folks who work there have to drop whatever they are doing to deal with your bullshit... they might have a guy at night to do the floors but everything else is on an as needed basis and maybe they have a spot mop task a few times a day. Don’t punish your fellow working class brethren for the errors of their employer... nobody cares about your protest or knows why you did it... the only thought they’ll have is “there goes another asshole”...
Your absolutely right today everyone multi-task one employee does five jobs at once.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:06 pm

When I was working at the library, if stupid kids left food everywhere, we had to clean it up. There was no garbage patrol on staff.
And the overnight cleaning staff weren't required to actually pick up garbage. Just vacuum and wipe around it.

I would literally find cups and bags of chips on shelves in the morning if nobody else saw it the day before. We already have to deal with the 100s of piles of books left laying around.

Music is my life.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Oldies 84 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 pm

As long as the see you coming then they can lock the doors on you from going in, Then the store employees don’t have to worry about cleaning up a mess. Hey there’s the ice cream guy LOCK THE DOORS!.

The don't need to lock the doors from me. I won't be back.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 pm

Hey Turkey, Maybe we need to change you name to “The Ice Cream Man” What do you think?

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:02 pm

IceCreamCartTopper

Music is my life.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 pm

I still think Turkeytop is a genuine and good man. Even if I don’t agree with this “ice cream” decision due to frustration. He’s protesting the right way now, choosing not to patronize the place.

I don’t mean to sound like I’m preaching on a pulpit, let’s offer some forgiveness.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:13 pm

I forgive you Turkey, Or is it Ice Cream Man, Oh what the hell, Let me just give you a BIG HUG and Have A Good Day!

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:18 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 pm
I still think Turkeytop is a genuine and good man. Even if I don’t agree with this “ice cream” decision due to frustration. He’s protesting the right way now, choosing not to patronize the place.

I don’t mean to sound like I’m preaching on a pulpit, let’s offer some forgiveness.
I'm all for him protesting, just not making innocent employees clean up a mess.

I'm not mad at him though.

I of course have done silly things like that in stores before

Music is my life.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:48 am

This thread, in a roundabout way, demonstrates why staffed checkouts are important. We are steadily losing the skill of interpersonal communication. The more we interact with machines, the less we interact with real people face-to-face. I'm not oblivious to the advantages of modern technology (I'm here after all), but too much of a good thing isn't always healthy. There's something about striking up a conversation with another person and learning something about them that is lost when interacting with a computer screen. I love tech as much as the next person, but it's all about balance.

I can't say I've never used a self-checkout lane, but I'll make time to go through a staffed checkout whenever possible. I figure the more I use the lanes with human cashiers, the more reason the store has to keep them. Plus I just enjoy talking with people.

I remember some years ago hearing the CEO of Walmart say something to the effect of "Walmart has given a raise to every working American". I found that statement to be strange as I have never been employed by Walmart, so how could a company that doesn't issue my paycheck possibly give me a "raise"? Now I understand that the use of self-checkout in effect makes me a de-facto employee, and that the "low low prices" must be a form of de-facto wage. Of course I can choose to accept this job or decline Walmart's (or any store's) generous offer of unofficial employment. Perhaps it will cost me that de-facto raise in the form of not-so-low-low-prices and a little more time waiting for checkout, but that's fine with me.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:22 am

If people want to boycott Walmart for whatever legitimate reason I'm OK. But a boycott should never involve deliberate destruction of property.
Ironically if Walmart has to pay somebody to restock the ice cream before it melts its part of why they need to go to self checkout. To keep people like TT from driving up labor costs needlessly.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 am

Still not sure if TT actually did this or if he was just making an exaggerated point. I would be satisfied just putting stuff back, leaving the store and resolving to give them further business. A basket full of melted ice cream isn't going to make a dent in their bottom line and it only causes headache for employees who have to clean it up. Store management has no idea it's a "protest" against self-checkout. They just know someone walked away and left a mess. Not to mention it is destruction of store property that the customer has chosen not to pay for. I felt bad enough when I accidentally dropped a 2-liter bottle of pop one day and it exploded on the floor. I would never consider doing such a thing intentionally regardless of how I may feel about a store's business practices. I'd be satisfied just knowing I no longer have to spend money there.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic