Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Does WWJ 62 NOT Have any Newscasts?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
TheForce

Does WWJ 62 NOT Have any Newscasts?

Post by TheForce » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:06 pm

Just tuned into CBS 62 on CBS All Access. Looking at the line-up I see there are NO newscasts for 5,6, or 11pm. I always figured they would being in a large market. Kinda caught me by surprise.

IIN4MU

Re: Does WWJ 62 NOT Have any Newscasts?

Post by IIN4MU » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Your eyes do not deceive you.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:01 pm

TheForce wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:06 pm
Just tuned into CBS 62 on CBS All Access. Looking at the line-up I see there are NO newscasts for 5,6, or 11pm. I always figured they would being in a large market. Kinda caught me by surprise.
Only the little first forecast things at 6 and 11 or something... they last 90 seconds to 2 minutes...

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Yeah, CBS 62 never had much luck with news, and CBS isnt' all that interested in spending the big bucks needed to make a newscast on their station a contender with the other well-established stations (2, 4, 7). Hell, back in 2006-2009, they even poked fun at their situation with their slogan "Where NO News is GOOD News!"

This isn't to say they didn't try, though... right after WJBK TV 2 was bought by FOX to become FOX 2, CBS bought 62 and put newscasts on there (I remember the advertisements for Big City News) but the quality was lower (somewhat below even WKBD's newscasts when it was UPN 50). After Big City News ended, they let someone else produce their news for them (i think it was WXYZ Channel 7, who also did 50's for a couple years), but these outsourced newscasts on 50 and 62 (who were united when CBS bought paramount around this time, 2003) were discontinued. 50's long-standing though small news department was finally shuttered in its entirety, and CBS 62 had reduced their news to just First Forecast Weather segments at 11:00 PM, though they did try their own morning newscasts about 5 years back, called First Forecast Mornings, as a lead-in to The Early Show (CBS' competitor to NBC's Today Show and ABC's Good Morning America), though while entertaining, it was also of somewhat low budget and quality and was discontinued. I actually liked it and tuned in now and then.

Oh well...
~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:22 pm

They also tried an extension of 50's news at 11pm for awhile around 2001-02. There's a full newscast of it available on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JECf3iPTS-Q

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Its interesting to see how WWJ fills up the time slots with talk shows where the newscasts would have been. A newsless lineup is intriguing. Not sure if I like that though.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:58 am

If they'd gotten themselves together..... they could have done a decent job.

WKBD's 10-O'Clock News was one of the best..... with the likes of Harry Hairston and Amyre Maykupson.

Long gone are those days...... maybe not sensational enough.
Image>>RayQix<<Image

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:06 am

TheForce wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:48 pm
Its interesting to see how WWJ fills up the time slots with talk shows where the newscasts would have been. A newsless lineup is intriguing. Not sure if I like that though.
Nothing really that interesting or "intriguing" about it. Syndicated talkers or sitcoms, some of which are aired on both entities of the CW50/CBS62 duopoly. For the bottom line, No News really is Good News.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:51 am

I don't really mind if 50 or 62 don't have news. With the high portion of the daily clock devoted to news on 2, 4, and 7, I find it a decent alternative to the fact that I'm bombarded by news, even if it is just by syndicated programming.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Who remembers channel 20's green-screen newscast circa 2009-ish?

I became one of their reporters "go to" guys for auto industry comment. I can't recall his name but he seemed like a good guy... short, stocky? Anyone know his name or what became of him?

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:24 am

chromacolor2 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:57 pm
Who remembers channel 20's green-screen newscast circa 2009-ish?

I became one of their reporters "go to" guys for auto industry comment. I can't recall his name but he seemed like a good guy... short, stocky? Anyone know his name or what became of him?
Jorge Avellan? If he's the one you're thinking of, he's now at WEMU-FM in Ypsi.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:35 am

When CBS was on VHF Channel 2, before FOX bought the station out from under their feet, they were the Big 3 stations for news, but they were totally off guard not realizing the up and coming FOX TV network wanted some nice VHF channels, not UHF channels in the upper numbers, and going to what was then the top 10 markets in 1985, they snagged the station, the signal, and their well-established news. Only room for 3 contenders, and CBS was the odd man out. ABC was ready for such a move in case they ''stole' Channel 7, ABC bought the VHF signals in Toledo and in Flint to cover both sides of Detroit with signals for ABC, and those two stations became ABC O&O stations, and the first to be in HD in many cases.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:23 am

WOHO wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:35 am
When CBS was on VHF Channel 2, before FOX bought the station out from under their feet, they were the Big 3 stations for news, but they were totally off guard not realizing the up and coming FOX TV network wanted some nice VHF channels, not UHF channels in the upper numbers, and going to what was then the top 10 markets in 1985, they snagged the station, the signal, and their well-established news. Only room for 3 contenders, and CBS was the odd man out. ABC was ready for such a move in case they ''stole' Channel 7, ABC bought the VHF signals in Toledo and in Flint to cover both sides of Detroit with signals for ABC, and those two stations became ABC O&O stations, and the first to be in HD in many cases.
I'd like to make a few corrections to this...
1. Channel 2 didn't switch to Fox till 1994, and didn't become a Fox O&O until late in 1996.
2. Channel 7's owner, Scripps, threatened to affiliate the station with CBS (along with Cleveland's WEWS) if Scripps didn't agree to affiliate four other stations nationwide to ABC, including two that were already set to loose their former Fox affiliations as well.
3. ABC was already on a VHF channel in Flint, WJRT channel 12. ABC in Toledo was at the time on WNWO UHF channel 24. ABC would wind up buying WTVG VHF channel 13 the following year (1995), but for a two-month period was forced to run it as an NBC affiliate due to prior contracts.
4. The Scripps deal with ABC eventually went through, though ABC chose not to trade it's newly-purchased Flint and Toledo O&Os for channel 7 since ABC already owned a radio station (or two) in Detroit.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:52 am

Thanks for the updates AdamWest- I didn't realize the FOX move was that late in the game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic