Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Who is the biggest homer in the city?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
The Constant Browser

Re: Who is the biggest homer in the city?

Post by The Constant Browser » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:31 pm

Its hard to top Bob Ufer. How many play by play guys give pep rally speeches?

https://youtu.be/4fnruFn1058?t=5m16s

https://youtu.be/mvkk-PiR294?t=1m38s
Last edited by The Constant Browser on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juice81

Post by Juice81 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Without a doubt, Craig Monroe on Tigers pre- and post-games is the worse. He is paid by the team, panders to the team, and adds very little that isn't preplanned and loosely scripted - by the team.

BME

Post by BME » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:24 am

Juice81 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 pm
Without a doubt, Craig Monroe on Tigers pre- and post-games is the worse. He is paid by the team, panders to the team, and adds very little that isn't preplanned and loosely scripted - by the team.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner ...

jsf

Post by jsf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Juice81 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 pm
Add in Rod Allen and you have a winner for worst homers on TV or radio.
J.

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:36 pm

Being a homer certainly has become part of the job these days, it seems. Of all the homers in Detroit, Jim Price bugs me the most, but I think it's because he's a homer who also is HORRIBLE on the air. However, I'd say that we are blessed compared to Chicago. I'd rather have a hundred Price's than one Hawk Harrelson. I don't know anyone from Chicago, but I can't believe that there is anyone who can stand listening to him. Does anyone know how he's perceived in his home market?

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Yeah, I agree with the overall idea that Fox Sports Detroit talent are big homers. They're depending on ratings, so they're trying to talk up the Tigers however they can. They're worried about losing people if they're not overly positive about the team.

I think Dan and Jim are great. Yes, I even somewhat like Jim Price. At least Dan and Jim are a good team. Price can definitely be objective. I've found that Dan and Jim will pretty honestly discuss where the Tigers are struggling; they'll openly call out players that aren't playing their best, etc. I mean, they make Rod and Mario sound like robots in comparison. If you want to hear more about baseball all around, listen to the radio.

Hawk Harrelson is the absolute WORST.

jsf

Post by jsf » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Got to be one of the Tigers butt kissers, the Tigers are a hard watch plus having to listen to how good and promising they are.
J.

tipo'mitt

Post by tipo'mitt » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Rod Allen (and Mario, to a certain degree) actually makes me NOT have the volume on. Seriously, when is the last time anybody heard him say anything that wasn't an obvious observation, or just total "toe the company line" drivel. Probably why the Tigs keep him and Mario around. They're loyal to a fault...no chance of anything critical of anyone involved with the organization ever getting to the viewers' ears.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic