Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 3-19-2018 at 7:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating newly registered accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Does Anyone know About Repalcement of Edwards

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario

Does Anyone know About Repalcement of Edwards

Post by LouPerry » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:52 am

Months ago Chris Edwards said he was leaving 7 to pay more attention to his real estate investments, etc. Now he’s on the air all the time. XYZ posted on MAB website looking for a meteorologist and no one has been hired. I thought they were holding the job open for Ashlee Baracy. Thinking maybe her Ohio contract hasn’t expired or her noncompete with WDIV hasn’t expired or both. Should be noted that Ashlee is primarily a reporter doing weather only on the weekends.
By the way tons of meteorologists are avail be looking at broadcast agent websites.
Anybody know what’s cooking?

Re: Does Anyone know About Repalcement of Edwards

Post by pixelplay » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Ashlee has been subbing for one of the meteorolgists in Columbus in the morning since the end of June... on facebook she said then "Mike is moving to evenings to fill in for Chris and I will fill in for Mike. Just shuffling around!" Where did you hear they were holding the job open for her, Lou? Or was that wishful thinking. ;)

Post by Editorcj » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Chris Edwards is enjoying being a per-diem and filling in, in vacation relief. Expect to see less of him when the summer is over. As for his full time replacement, when a qualified candidate that will work for the salary offered and willing to move to Detroit is found and liked by management they will announce it.

Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:27 am

Let me guess - they are unwilling to pay for talent. Am I right?

We do not need another Denise.

That operation is such a shit show. Clifford is arguably the worst weeknight female news anchor in the history of Detroit TV. Their weather graphics are mediocre. Their sports director is a joke and has no credible opinions. The 4PM newscast has horrible camera angles...it's like an amateur is filming! Too bad, as the content is actually decent. The 5PM hour has no consistency, weak reporting, and a seemingly rotating cast of anchors.

The newscasts on 20 are just plain pathetic. The 10PM show needs to be reduced to 30 minutes and they need to lose the stupid gimmicks. The morning show on 20 is so bad that I do not know if it is even worth keeping.

7 went into the shitter big time when Robbie Timmons, Diana Lewis and Tom Leyden left.
Tom Izzo thinks O.J. Simpson is still searching for the real killer!

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:50 am

As someone who grew up with 7 and putting that news operation above everyone else for decades, I feel 7 sure has slipped into a revolving door of unknown, less talented people. I could name maybe a handfull of people there now. In addition, the gimmicks, the (in my opinion) overbearing graphics, and the poorly produced web content are also big turn-offs for me.

I know this isn't NYC or LA, but geez, this is Metro Detroit of what, 5 million people? The news operations in this town make it seem as if this where newbies come for cheap to train to be a "journalist" and quickly move. In the past, we used to have big name anchors and reporters who were very well known. Do we have that anymore?

Edit/addition: As a result, I feel local news has made itself very irrelevant. I just don't watch anymore.

Post by LouPerry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:58 am

Zenith, I’m with you. I had hoped Rhonda LaVelle the new news director would come in fleshing the product up including anchor staff, assign more reporters to beats, add morning sports report that the other guys have – Again we are a sports town XYZ should feed. They have many top-flight reporters including Kim Russell (She’s appeared in the NY City papers a number of times) and Ross Jones now back. I watch 7 news exclusively for local news. Breanne Palmerini has more personality than the current weekday anchors.
With all the staff XYZ has, this morning Keenan Smith co-anchored with Alicia. Chris Edwards did the weather. As I’ve said previously I’m not a fan of Keenan.
In morning over the weekend two women anchored who I have no idea who they were

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic