I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

97.1 The Trade

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
JackAttack FM

97.1 The Trade

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:41 pm

Its blatantly clear this station has mandated that 90% of all topics must be about Tiger trades. And some of the rationale behind the talent playing general manager is ludicrous.

All a sad and over-done attempt to draw ire out of the listeners to call-in just to maintain their ridiculous caller driven format with failng ratings.

craig11152

Re: 97.1 The Trade

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:07 am

I don't listen much...except during football season but in fairness there ain't a lot of sports going on in the summer that enough people care about.
They could talk golf, auto racing or MLB in other cities but I think the goal is listeners

dumbboardposter

Post by dumbboardposter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:26 am

JackAttack FM wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:41 pm
Its blatantly clear this station has mandated that 90% of all topics must be about Tiger trades. And some of the rationale behind the talent playing general manager is ludicrous.

All a sad and over-done attempt to draw ire out of the listeners to call-in just to maintain their ridiculous caller driven format with failng ratings.
How, by any stretch of the imagination, can you call 97.1's ratings "failing." I mean, holy fuck, do you just say nonsense, made up shit like this all the time? You didn't even spell "failing" right. I mean, how can you be THIS STUPID online and still act like your thoughts mean anything at all?

Just say you don't like it, because at least it's accurate. Saying bullshit that is easily disproven by even a tertiary google search makes you seem even dumber than usual, which is incredible considering the scope.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:18 pm

You can call me dumb or stupid and find all the missing vowels you want.
But, its laughable because the fact is this station's ratings were in the 7s and 8s for years and up into the 9s. Now its dropped into the mid 6s and 5s. Even bottoming out to the 4s in the winter.
Now they're doing this desperate attempt to keep interest in the Tigers. Probably to justify the extra money they had to go to corporate for to keep from losing Tiger rights to 105.1. The all trade talk, all the time is transparent, poorly executed and annoying.
craig wrote:I don't listen much...except during football season but in fairness there ain't a lot of sports going on in the summer that enough people care about. 
They could talk golf, auto racing or MLB in other cities but I think the goal is listeners.
They've been able to talk about other teams through the summer with plenty of listener response. Especially the Lions from April through the draft and into the start of the NFL preseason. But, why do that because they lost the Lions to 'JR.
I've heard before every Verlander start for a month that this could be his last.

radiofan

Post by radiofan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:30 pm

I'm finding myself listening to 97.1 less and less any more. I hate Valenti, and Reiger and Bogie have decided they want to be Valenti when they grow up. So I'm listening to music more and more, and by golly, I'm in a much better frame of mind with the music. Maybe some day we'll get lucky and someone will put together an actual good Detroit sports station.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:29 pm

As much as I'd like to rip on 97.1 for this, it's pretty much what it the topic in most local markets at this time of the year. Yes, there are some national stories that should garner some discussion (Lavar Ball, Kyrie Irving, Ezekiel Elliot, CTE study, etc), but we all know Detroit shuns anything that isn't local sports for some reason.

I really don't listen much except for Valenti's show, and even that is going to be shrinking in the future I think. The airtime that Sullivan and Hatchet-Man get is beyond ridiculous. They joked about Hatchet needing to conduct a seminar on how to be a good caller. That would be like Stevie Wonder conducting a drivers' ed class. If the callers that get to air are the GOOD ones? Good Lord, I'd hate to hear the ones that don't make it.

Another thing I've noticed lately is that any non-Tigers/Lions topic that actually does get discussed is usually straight from Deadspin. So lazy.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:47 am

Daypart wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:29 pm
.... but we all know Detroit shuns anything that isn't local sports for some reason.
I read that often in here and while I don't dispute it I do wonder how uncommon it is. Other than a place like New York with its large population how many markets similar to Detroit have listeners that embrace a wider interest than their local sports?

radiofan

Post by radiofan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:00 pm

C'mon, Cowboy. Play nice. Quit throwing those political hand grenades. Go see Jeff Moss if you want to be like that. He lives for that horseshit. You'll be a hero over there.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:40 am

I would like to see the Tigers back on WJR- maybe they can get them for a discounted price as they deconstruct the team this season. Surprised that they haven't made some big deal with Boston and the old GM?

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:10 am

Let's talk about this from the "how to program radio" viewpoint.

1) One of the biggest days of the year for NON-contending teams is the Aug 1 no waivers trade deadline. True baseball fans watch this with eagle eyes. My Cincinnati Reds are taking the "Let's Tank Just Like the Cubs Did" route and every Aug 1 one of their stars heads off to greener pastures. If I were station management I would mandate all talk up to yesterday to be about Tiger trades.

2) Every fan plays "be the GM" - especially those with rotisserie teams. Talent is just acting like part of the fan base.

3) Caller driven formats need to talk about topics that cause people to call in.

4) This station rides the same ratings waves that most sports stations ride - they are up when their TEAM is up. Look at the dramatic fall of WBNS-FM in Columbus after the OSU "New Year's Eve Massacre" When the Tigers/Red Wings are in it, the station succeeds.

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Mark Elliott wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:10 am
Let's talk about this from the "how to program radio" viewpoint.

1) One of the biggest days of the year for NON-contending teams is the Aug 1 no waivers trade deadline. True baseball fans watch this with eagle eyes. My Cincinnati Reds are taking the "Let's Tank Just Like the Cubs Did" route and every Aug 1 one of their stars heads off to greener pastures. If I were station management I would mandate all talk up to yesterday to be about Tiger trades.

2) Every fan plays "be the GM" - especially those with rotisserie teams. Talent is just acting like part of the fan base.

3) Caller driven formats need to talk about topics that cause people to call in.

4) This station rides the same ratings waves that most sports stations ride - they are up when their TEAM is up. Look at the dramatic fall of WBNS-FM in Columbus after the OSU "New Year's Eve Massacre" When the Tigers/Red Wings are in it, the station succeeds.
So, what exactly is Jimmy Powers doing, in that case?

Claymed

Post by Claymed » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Tried to listen to the trade recaps on the air last night and couldn't take Bogie for more than five minutes. Does he actually put any time in researching a topic? He argument always seems to be, "I'm right and you're not" - stating "he is right", about three or four times, but not making a point as to why he is right. Then he'll proceed to talk over anyone who is trying to state their opinion, Wojo included. While I like Wojo, I just can't listen to that show. By adding Bogie, they turned an ok show into crap. I just dial surf nowadays on my car ride home.

Sgt. Sackto

Post by Sgt. Sackto » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:47 am

For me the one simple reason that 97.1 sucks: No guests.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic