I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Fox 2's "Summer of '67"... WOW!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
JackAttack FM

Fox 2's "Summer of '67"... WOW!

Post by JackAttack FM » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Its one of the best programs on the '67 Riots. Most of it is the WJBK news coverage from '67 as it happened interspersed with a few interviews with Huel Perkins.
The '67 footage is so compelling you can almost forget that you're not watching live coverage of some event on CNN ot MSNBC.
And a few names from the past, Joe Weaver, Jerry Hodak and Jack McCarthy do some of the reporting. Even an MOS interview with Mickey Lolich in his National Gaurd uniform on duty.

It was a little surprising how close they got those TV2 NEWS vehicles into the fray. So close even soldiers were taking cover next to them.

If you haven't caught it yet its on again at 11:30pm... probably online too.

RayQix

Re: Fox 2's "Summer of '67"... WOW!

Post by RayQix » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:51 pm

I was watching wxyz for a bit but it got to be a bit more emotional during dinnner. I'm sure that was the idea. I did record it and will watch it another time when the younger members of my family will either be sleeping or busy.

Good program and good history. Just very emotional and amazing how screwed up we were 50 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Image>>RayQix<<Image

dm00n

Post by dm00n » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 am

dm00n wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:49 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kn1gcdgiLac
Nice!

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:00 am

I noticed that there is a new trend to redefine the riots as a "civil uprising" and almost excuse the actions of the rioters. Am I off my rocker in this interpretation?

Also, it seems like ALL they talked about on 97.1 this weekend was 1967. Caputo didn't talk a bit of sports (although I wouldn't hold him as the gold standard for broadcasting).

jsf

Post by jsf » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:25 am

Daypart wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:00 am
I noticed that there is a new trend to redefine the riots as a "civil uprising" and almost excuse the actions of the rioters. Am I off my rocker in this interpretation?

Also, it seems like ALL they talked about on 97.1 this weekend was 1967. Caputo didn't talk a bit of sports (although I wouldn't hold him as the gold standard for broadcasting).
Very good observation, I thought I was the only one that noticed that! Caputo has been doing this for weeks, he finally found that the topic got some calls. I lived through the Riot's and many people used the riot's to get themselves new TV's and loot stores, to them it was just an excuse to get stuff they couldn't afford.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:22 am

The Fox2 program was good.

12th and Clairmount, produced by the Detroit Free Press and aired last night on WXYZ, was outstanding.

Pocketchange

Post by Pocketchange » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Anyone know if 12th and Clairmount will be shown again on Ch7 or available online?

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

12th/Clairmount was very deep and created some angry-feelings....... it was good. ;)

Image>>RayQix<<Image

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:28 pm

I saw "12th and Clairmount" as well and thought it was a great piece of work to illustrate the details of the riot and some of the human toll.
It addressed the fact well that the city was actually a war zone that week.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:49 am

Daypart wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:00 am
I've heard disturbance, uprising, and more. 43 people killed, thousands arrested, thousands of fires and buildings destroyed, etc. Nothing but a riot.

Renaming it is a basic liberal revisionist history gambit.......wait long enough that the people who actually lived through it are dead or irrelevant, then re-spin the story to the storybook version. Kind of what Stalin, North Korea, and China do, but at slower speed.

There was a blind pig. It got raided. Civil disobedience ensued (I guess the police of 1967 did not have the understanding of today that minorities are "downtrodden" and have to as such be given a "pass" to break the law). People shot at police, police shot back, and the locals burned their own areas.

Police enforcement efforts targeting blacks without individual investigation was and is dead wrong, and it largely stopped in Detroit. Actions of the police in (what I'm told happened....I was too young to understand) the Algiers motel incident are not acceptable and must not happen again.

That said, though, the crime in Detroit today is worse than it was then.....the PD is nearly entirely black, as is the city. What is today's excuse?

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 am

What i didn't realize, or didn't remember from my Detroit History, was that there were SNIPERS in the area and the Authorities had basically just said "f-it" and they let those neighborhoods go until the National Guard troops moved in.

That, to me, is extremely scary..... and it definitely put a different spin on it.....either because i didn't remember, or maybe i didn't know about it.

Either way, i do not believe that it's more crime-ridden now than it was then. I think it's different... more than higher.

Until everyone is able to be in a better place.....either by their own doing or the doing of the government, it's not going to change for the better either.

Image>>RayQix<<Image

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:55 am

RayQix wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 am

Until everyone is able to be in a better place.....either by their own doing or the doing of the government, it's not going to change for the better either.
I agree with that in part.....by their own doing.

My electing people and saying to them: "RayQix has more money than I do....take more from him and give it to the people behind me" does not work.

Along with the 50 year anniversary coverage of the riot, I'd like to see an evaluation of 50 years of social programs.....trillions of dollars spent.....Herman Gardens, Brewster, Jeffries and Jeffries East, and Charles Terrace projects imagined, built, uncared for, and demolished in every city.

Why does it take so many so long to figure out that hand outs don't work? Is it because it ameliorates our "social conscience" a little so we don't feel too awfully guilty? Is it easier than really tackling the real problem? I think so.

We all have people in our lives we know who were born or married "right", came into 'money' because of it, and did not appreciate it nor handle it properly. What giant leap of thought does it take to compare that to handing out money, phones, housing, bus tickets, and food to people who make a career of not pulling their weight?

People do not treat with respect what they did not work for to get. How tough is that to 'get' and how long must we keep throwing money into the fire until we collectively admit it?

The answer correctly starts in the home....Mom and Dad present.....working for what the family gets, with the children taught responsibility and respect for themselves, their authority figures, parents and peers early on. Being taught that welfare is a temporary crutch following an event not of their own making.....not a way of life. Valuing education, and using it as a tool to get ahead.

Seriously, intelligent people still think government is going to 'fix' this?

Fiddlesticks.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:55 am
RayQix wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 am

I agree with that in part.....by their own doing.

My electing people and saying to them: "RayQix has more money than I do....take more from him and give it to the people behind me" does not work.

Along with the 50 year anniversary coverage of the riot, I'd like to see an evaluation of 50 years of social programs.....trillions of dollars spent.....Herman Gardens, Brewster, Jeffries and Jeffries East, and Charles Terrace projects imagined, built, uncared for, and demolished in every city.

Why does it take so many so long to figure out that hand outs don't work? Is it because it ameliorates our "social conscience" a little so we don't feel too awfully guilty? Is it easier than really tackling the real problem? I think so.

We all have people in our lives we know who were born or married "right", came into 'money' because of it, and did not appreciate it nor handle it properly. What giant leap of thought does it take to compare that to handing out money, phones, housing, bus tickets, and food to people who make a career of not pulling their weight?

People do not treat with respect what they did not work for to get. How tough is that to 'get' and how long must we keep throwing money into the fire until we collectively admit it?

The answer correctly starts in the home....Mom and Dad present.....working for what the family gets, with the children taught responsibility and respect for themselves, their authority figures, parents and peers early on. Being taught that welfare is a temporary crutch following an event not of their own making.....not a way of life. Valuing education, and using it as a tool to get ahead.

Seriously, intelligent people still think government is going to 'fix' this?

Fiddlesticks.
How tough is it to figure out we have outsourced and automated our way into this situation?

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:53 pm

JackAttack FM wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:48 pm
Its one of the best programs on the '67 Riots. Most of it is the WJBK news coverage from '67 as it happened interspersed with a few interviews with Huel Perkins.
The '67 footage is so compelling you can almost forget that you're not watching live coverage of some event on CNN ot MSNBC.
And a few names from the past, Joe Weaver, Jerry Hodak and Jack McCarthy do some of the reporting. Even an MOS interview with Mickey Lolich in his National Gaurd uniform on duty.

It was a little surprising how close they got those TV2 NEWS vehicles into the fray. So close even soldiers were taking cover next to them.

If you haven't caught it yet its on again at 11:30pm... probably online too.
I agree, it was a very well done program. I haven't yet watched the WXYZ program but hopefully it is available online (or will be).

Speaking of newsmen getting too close to the action, have you listened to the WXYZ Radio aircheck that's available on MCRFB? Chilling stuff, perhaps even more chilling than the television coverage. It includes audio of two station reporters getting pinned down in their vehicle by gunfire and someone - I assume possibly someone back at the station - yelling at them to "GET OUT! GET OUT NOW!!" Trying to put myself in the position of someone listening to the radio in 1967 and hearing that go out "in real time" over the air... wow.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks for the heads up on the WXYZ aircheck from the Motorcity Flashbacks page Chris. Compelling stuff.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:11 pm

blackcowboybrady64 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:38 am
Disinvestment in Detroit,white flight,police brutalityfrom a 97% white police department charged with oppressing African Americans,job discrimination,horrific education (read the Free Press piece about the Northern High School student walkout in 1966 over the refusal of the school,my late mother's high school, to offer high achieving black students college prep courses),and you'll see that the "riot" (rebellion,really) was 100% justified,though Detroit and other major U.S. cities continue to suffer from at least three generations of neglect from senior governments.
There was certainly reasons for why this happened at all.

franko75

Post by franko75 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:33 pm

great coverage....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic