All new acct registrations in the queue as of 6/16 at 8:10a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Henson fired again

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
pargoff

Henson fired again

Post by pargoff » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:40 am

Per his twitter, his position was eliminated due to a budget cut. DFN is just Big Drew and Jim now. This guy must own the record for being fired in radio.

RayQix

Re: Henson fired again

Post by RayQix » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:48 am

If that was the case.... it sucks no matter who you are. If it was his performance or attitude or mouth......... I'm not surprised.

Just goes to show that jobs are a precious thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Image>>RayQix<<Image

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:55 am

I was a bit of excited when they announced a local show but it was more nostalgia on my part from the 1995 WDFN with Jamie and Gregg that I would listen to. I started listening to the show and it was unlistenable. Big Drew and Jim sounded like a couple young and clueless guys who were proud of being obese and Gregg just repeated the same takes he had from the 90's. DFN is better off just putting the national feed on and canning the show altogether. I've resigned to the fact that national sports shows are way better than the local garbage and I would much rather listen to someone talk about all the teams than talking about craft beer and college football all day.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:57 am

Isn't local sports radio more about the Football Season anyways? They don't seem to have much to discuss otherwise.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Image>>RayQix<<Image

pargoff

Post by pargoff » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:13 am

Shep had the best local sports show IMO and they let him go. Formulaic "caller centric" shows like 97.1 seem to do well because any nimrod can call in with their hot take. It's a shame.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:31 pm

Pair him with Wojo...still would be an improvement over several of them at 97.1.

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:45 pm

As many know I’m not a big sports fan. When the Dodgers left Brooklyn, it went down. Professional rodeo is my sport. This Henson thing fascinates me. He’s worked at a number of stations in Detroit and other markets. He hasn’t affected any change in ratings at DFN – I feel sorry for those selling it. What makes him special? Working at DFN in my view is working for single household and people with very strong AM reception.
What I learned from my mentor Rick Sklar at WABC “if they can’t hear us you aren’t in radio”. 0.1 ratings isn’t a radio station.
So, this radio station with Mr. Henson or without isn’t a commercial radio station in my view.
IHeart give it to charity or program unique programming like European sports such as European soccer. Here in Ann Arbor some would be glued and it would be big. Soccer in US growing fast.
Problem is folks like IHeart and Cumulus don’t get

deadend

Post by deadend » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Henson's attitude sucks and he seems to get a high off being a jerk... like a really poor mans Mike Valenti, but Valenti is successful at it. Henson isn't bad. I'm sure if he didn't continually alienate his employers he'd be able to settle in someplace for more than a year. He's one of those guys who doesn't seem to learn HE is the problem. He is his OWN worst enemy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:42 pm

He's worked at the same station in Pittsburgh for several years. He did not do his recent show from the WDFN or WMAX studios; it was fed via ISDN lines from Pittsburgh.

In Pittsburgh, iFart airs all the big time teams on FM - WDVE in the case of the Steelers and WXDX in the case of the Penguins. ESPN 1250 (or whatever the heck it's called) has had paltry ratings in that market forever. Like Detroit, CBS owns an FM sports station in the Steel City. The deck is stacked against tiny 1250 - big time.

iFart has been whacking jobs left & right.

"Alienating his employer" is not to blame...at least not in this instance.

As Lou correctly pointed out - WDFN has almost zero listeners! The station's dead. It's only purpose in life is to clear Fox Sports Radio programming (and air second rate collegiate athletics - likely on a brokered basis - in the fall & winter).

The last time iFart spent any remotely decent money on the WDFN "brand" was when Todd Thomas was Operations Manager, and even *that* attempt was half-hearted.

iFart has NEVER been big on sports radio on a local market scale. This is what happens when your company is run by the likes of Bob Pittman and Darren Davis. The company's core competencies are in formats women and young adults like.

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

radiofan

Post by radiofan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:13 pm

WDFN seems to have no interest in keeping listeners. First they cut Matt Shepherd and ruin my morning listening, and now Henson from the afternoon show? The other two guys were superfluous. Nice enough foils for Henson, but not enough to carry a show on their own. I'm guessing it's mostly about keeping the payroll down and to hell with the listeners.

I'll be listening to music in the afternoons now. Valenti is just too much of an asshole to tolerate for more than a few minutes at a time. I like my sports talk radio, but damn, it is really a low quality product in this town. Is sports radio a low or no profit business? It just seems like it would so easy for a station to put out a semi-quality product here and just blow 97.1 right out of town.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:41 pm

radiofan wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:13 pm
WDFN seems to have no interest in keeping listeners. First they cut Matt Shepherd and ruin my morning listening, and now Henson from the afternoon show? The other two guys were superfluous. Nice enough foils for Henson, but not enough to carry a show on their own. I'm guessing it's mostly about keeping the payroll down and to hell with the listeners.

I'll be listening to music in the afternoons now. Valenti is just too much of an asshole to tolerate for more than a few minutes at a time. I like my sports talk radio, but damn, it is really a low quality product in this town. Is sports radio a low or no profit business? It just seems like it would so easy for a station to put out a semi-quality product here and just blow 97.1 right out of town.
You have to realize though that as a Metro Detroit resident you will have to deal with the fact that the Pistons, Red Wings and Tigers were or are becoming horribly awful (but at least not 1970's awful) this year alone, so this may be to be expected, not as many listeners than they had when they were in their prime, especially considering that the Wings may never again reach levels of late-90's-early-00's-era mania.

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:26 am

It looks like he got fired from the station in Pittsburgh too.

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:53 am

blackcowboybrady64 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:38 am
Henson should go to WJR,which would be perfect for his right-wing-nut politics.
As for Big Drew and Jim-I forget which is the bearded slob-they look like how they sound-two 40-something chaps who spend their weekend in bars trying,invariably unsuccessfully,to pick up hot young babes.
So, the target demo for most of the sports talk audience in this area.

The Constant Browser

Post by The Constant Browser » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:44 pm

mtburb wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:41 pm

You have to realize though that as a Metro Detroit resident you will have to deal with the fact that the Pistons, Red Wings and Tigers were or are becoming horribly awful (but at least not 1970's awful) this year alone, so this may be to be expected...
You realize by default that makes the Lions (potentially) the best pro sports team in town, now!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic