All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/6 at 8:30p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

the end has come to WCHB AM1200

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: the end has come to WCHB AM1200

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:09 pm

The COL means very little as far as FM translators are concerned; requirements are much looser than they are for "full power" FM stations.

Antenna height has absolutely nothing to do with the signal issues in this instance; the problem lies in the fact the licensed signal pattern is severely directional. 99.9 W260CB transmits from one of the tall sticks along 8 Mile Rd and sends extremely little signal in the direction of downtown Detroit - probably no more than 1 or 2 watts. And, no, I'm not exaggerating!

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=W260CB-FX

When driving M-10 into downtown, I usually lose the signal just past the McNichols exit.

With its coverage pattern, W260CB's predicted 60 dBu signal reaches less than 30% of Metro Detroit's African American population.

I live smack dab in the middle of the lobe, and even at my house, reception is iffy indoors. My Sony clock radio has trouble keeping a lock on the stereo signal. 101.5, 92.7 and 106.3 all have much better reception on that unit. 101.5 is the strongest, followed closely by 106.3. Even 95.9 from Windsor comes in more reliably!

Would not at all be surprised if W260CB is transmitting at reduced power right now. If Radio One is intent on keeping that dog, they should at least move the antenna to WGPR's tower in midtown Detroit. A similar signal pattern to the current one would still provide sufficient protection toward Canada as well as toward WKKO but would provide much better reception to Detroit.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:41 pm

Interesting. I had a feeling a DA was being used, as you have a clear view of the Oak Park tower farm from the top of the Rouge River Bridge, and W260CB ain't there.

I'm in the lobe too, not far from you, in fact, but further west, at Quarton / Telegraph, and I can hear it just fine, dead carrier and all.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Your neighborhood is less densely developed than mine and you are also farther than me from RF interference sources.

I do get a very good signal in the car and a pretty good one on my home theater receiver. But on other radios in the house, the signal is shoddy.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:06 pm

This Saturday, I received 99.9 in downtown Ypsilanti! 99.9 is usually K100 over here.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:36 pm

From what I can gather, no changes to 102.7's programming or identity other than Mildred Gaddis' show from 10a to Noon.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am

Okay so its been 4 days since they flipped to the current format, and there is no new webpage or updated facebook page for this new AM 1200 / soul 99.9 station whatsoever..... You'd think they'd want exposure!?!?!
what gives?

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Steve, I heard that Crawford hasn't taken over yet.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:36 pm

http://www.insideradio.com/free/radio-o ... f1727.html

Looks like it will be transferred within the next two weeks or so.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:36 pm

Steve79 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am
Okay so its been 4 days since they flipped to the current format, and there is no new webpage or updated facebook page for this new AM 1200 / soul 99.9 station whatsoever..... You'd think they'd want exposure!?!?!
what gives?
And once again tonight, 99.9 FM is broadcasting dead air. Well done, Mr. Liggins.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Steve79 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am
what gives?
And once again tonight, 99.9 FM is broadcasting dead air. Well done, Mr. Liggins.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:36 am

99.9 has such a poor signal, without AM 1200 its not going to make much, if any gain in the market. With the money they got from the sale of WCHB, they should buy a few of the translators from EMF. Like I said before I really like the Motown/classic soul format. I'm surprised Detroit doesn't already have a oldies/Motown station..... Its a warranted format in this city.... The Motown capitol of the world.
I know radio is a business, and all the factors that play in ratings/Demo's etc.... But come on its the Motor City!

jry

Post by jry » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:14 pm

Crawford is seeing an attack from the Gospel side of things. 1340 never made sense as an Urban Gospel station. It made a killing with Christian Teaching, though. Those burbs around R/O love that format. When he vacated it, WLQV really started to clean up. The coverage doesn't support it. 1200 going Urban Gospel may retain some of their listeners. We'll see.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:34 pm

1340's signal toward the west and southwest of Royal Oak really seems to stink at night. Toward the north and northeast, it is significantly stronger - for whatever reason. Always came in clear as a bell in the west part of Sterling Heights and Warren.

You're right; not good zip codes for Urban Gospel programming.

I will say this, though, WEXL pulled OK numbers once upon a time (late 90's / very early 00's).

I think a lot of the Urban Gospel audience fled once IBOC was turned on. What used to be an outstanding sound field (for an AM station anyway) took on a walkie-talkie like sound. A couple years ago, the filter was loosened to 8 kHz, I believe. That move occurred far too late.

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:12 pm

I see that on 6-28-17 a construction permit was issued for W260CB (the 99.9 FM translator) to change their directional pattern and send more signal to the Southeast into Detroit.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:59 pm

That will help a little bit - but their signal will remain terrible across much of the city. NW Detroit, Highland Park and perhaps New Center will see significant improvement.

Everywhere else will still receive a mediocre to non-existent signal. Won't be able to hear the station downtown, anywhere on the east side, or near the airport.

What really needs to happen here is the addition of a second FM translator that reaches downtown, midtown and the east side with a good signal.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:08 pm

I buzzed thru the D this weekend and was surprised with WCHB 1200- decent music selection- sounded like crap on my stock car radio, so whipped out the wide bandwidth AM stereo radio and it sounded damn good in Lincoln Park (right on top of it I assume), but when I got to Ohio after dark, there was zero signal - not even in Monroe. What does their lobe look like? I'm assuming they pull the pattern up north and/or cut power?
Since they were set-up for HD at one time, I'm assuming that they still have a stereo audio chain, and could just as easily run a CQUAM program on the HD exciter and have some nice stereo music over the air and online? I tried the 99.9 frequency, but in Lincoln Park all I had was a choppy K100 from Toledo. Surprised how well 104.7 WIOT penetrates northward. Anyhow, will the classic soul remain on 1200, and who is the owner of the day at this time? And what's the deal with the signal?

jry

Post by jry » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:59 pm

[quote=MWmetalhead post_id=557150 time=1499121290 user_id=2]
1340's signal toward the west and southwest of Royal Oak really seems to stink at night. Toward the north and northeast, it is significantly stronger - for whatever reason. Always came in clear as a bell in the west part of Sterling Heights and Warren.

You're right; not good zip codes for Urban Gospel programming.

I will say this, though, WEXL pulled OK numbers once upon a time (late 90's / very early 00's).

I think a lot of the Urban Gospel audience fled once IBOC was turned on. What used to be an outstanding sound field (for an AM station anyway) took on a walkie-talkie like sound. A couple years ago, the filter was loosened to 8 kHz, I believe. That move occurred far too late.
[/quote]

In order for IBOC to work on AM, you have to "brick wall" the processing to 5Khz.

Radiobingoking

Post by Radiobingoking » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:45 am

1470, hopefully this will answer your reception question about WCHB at night. They have to protect WOAI in San Antonio. Their main lobe is to the north with a very minor lobe to the south. They also have to squeeze between WRTO in Chicago and WKST in New Castle, Pennsylvania. On an earlier post on this board there was a link to AM patterns, both night and day. I forget who the original poster is, but what to thank them. I use the links quite often when DXing. Here is the link to 1200 at night... http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-CA_ ... 00KHz.html

John

If it aint country it aint music

radiojunkie2002

Post by radiojunkie2002 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:50 am

I really like the music mix on 99.9
Let's see if the station appears
in the top 15 in the ratings for the summer.
THAT would be amazing, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Can the 99.9 FM translator alone get better ratings than 910 AM Superstation?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic