Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Satellite down for Retro

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
videocollectore

Satellite down for Retro

Post by videocollectore » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:27 am

The satellite that RetroTV was using blew up or was destroyed at day or so ago. They've switch over to a different satellite. I've been in contact with WHNE who has messaged their engineer with the new coordinates. Now we wait for the guy to get to the transmitter to re-align the dish and retune the receivers

RayQix

Re: Satellite down for Retro

Post by RayQix » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:32 am

Is this a concern as to why a satellite was destroyed?

I would think something like this should be looked into a bit more just so we know when the Aliens (ID4) maybe coming.

Js..... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image>>RayQix<<Image

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Satellites only have a limited useful life. They have to be replaced at periodic intervals. I once read what the typical life cycle is for a Sirius XM satellite, but cannot recall the number. It wasn't an enormously lengthy life span - I want to say 10 years.

I do not know if the matter at hand was a planned or unplanned event.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:38 pm

RayQix wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:32 am
Is this a concern as to why a satellite was destroyed?

I would think something like this should be looked into a bit more just so we know when the Aliens (ID4) maybe coming.

Js..... ;-)

It's the Russians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 pm

I've been told that the engineer will be making the satellite updates at WHNE tomorrow, Monday June 19th.

Contract engineers don't respond as quickly as staff engineers do.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:45 am

videocollectore wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:27 am
The satellite that RetroTV was using blew up or was destroyed at day or so ago. They've switch over to a different satellite. I've been in contact with WHNE who has messaged their engineer with the new coordinates. Now we wait for the guy to get to the transmitter to re-align the dish and retune the receivers
This message board never ceases to amaze me.

"blew up"....."destroyed". Holy cow....perhaps too many Star Trek episodes have been watched on this satellite. Oooh! Oooh! I'll bet the Russians did it for Trump! :rollin

SES 2 is tired old bird. Retro TV was moved to AMC 9 with a bunch of other MP4 FTA feeds.

These changes are announced long in advance; I suspect that a goofy little LPTV's contracted technical staff was too busy with their real job putting in car stereos to get the old pickup truck running long enough to go out and move the RX dish.

Satellites fail almost always due to depletion of positioning fuel; if the operator is good over the years minimizing fuel use to keep the bird 'in the box', they tend to last longer unless they have to do a lot of transitions. AMC 3 was at 72 degrees, now apparently at 67 in it's retirement role (awfully low in the sky). It's 20 years old with a design life of 15.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:44 am

LUXEMBOURG--(BUSINESS WIRE)--SES announced that, following a significant anomaly, the company is in the process of transferring capacity from its AMC-9 satellite.

The incident was noted on the morning of Saturday, 17 June 2017. SES has taken immediate action in contacting all customers and is working to transfer services to alternative satellite capacity in order to minimise disruption.

AMC-9 provided Ku-band and C-band coverage over the U.S. and Mexico. The satellite was manufactured by Alcatel/Thales and was launched in 2003.

SES is working closely with the manufacturer to establish the cause of the anomaly and is evaluating all satellite recovery options. The full impact of the anomaly is still being assessed.

In the event that the spacecraft cannot be recovered, the potential impact on SES’s full year 2017 group revenue could be up to EUR 20 million. In this event, it would also be expected to result in a one-off impairment charge of EUR 38 million.

Let me add, this satellite failed completely WITHOUT NOTICE, so don't blame the LPTV stations that relied on it 24/7!

Plate Cap may I add that "goofy little LPTV's" are operated on tiny budgets and can't keep up with all the mistakes the big stations do on a daily basis!

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:13 pm

I stand corrected on the satellite loss; I was overcome by the correlation of the AMC 8 transponder load end date to the day of the 'blowing up'. Thanks for the correction.

Loss is also sometimes related to spin caused in some form by the positioning thrusters I spoke of.....i.e. Galaxy 4, May 1998....most paging service in the CONUS.

With tail properly between my legs as regards my lack of knowledge on the details of the incident, though:

I've installed, maintained, and hosted way too many LPTVs at way too many antenna sites over four decades, and can say with complete equanimity that they are, with not a single exception that I can remember, "goofy little LPTVs".

In one way or another, each was its own disaster story. Every other site owner I recall discussing them with feels the same. I could have purchased a large home with the money over the years dealing with them has cost.

Ranging from the underfunded, single station, race-card playing, "send us a check and we will see that you go to heaven" "religious" broadcasters who are in it strictly to turn a buck and eventually peddle the authorization to larger nationwide operator with equally poor business practices, they are (again, without an exception I can remember) a joke, and typically do not follow the Commission's original intent of providing local opportunity for would be local broadcasters.

Typically designed to poor standards, maintained by the absolute low bidder (my example in the broken pickup truck) (if they are fancy enough to have a local maintainer....more typically someone that wanders into town a couple of times a year), carrying programming often more reliably found elsewhere. Look no further than this board for the problems....."well, I can sort of get them south of 7 mile road, but around 8 they fade out"......."is (such and such LP / LD) on the air; I have not seen them since a week ago Thursday". Installation wise, they are often MPE disasters waiting to happen. Most have a terrible time simply paying their bills. Many were erstwhile attempts to leverage onto a cable system.

The writing is on the wall for them; there is little long term hope for full power terrestrial TV broadcasting; these can not begin to compete with the, and there is nothing these little wastes of spectrum can do that Amazon, Netflix, or if you like, Kodi can't provide with orders of magnitude more choice. There financial structure is born to lose; they were designed to be hosting the local baseball game or City Council meeting, not 40 year old TV reruns. They will go the way of FloTV

Sorry, Bob, perhaps you made / are making your money in part with these, and perhaps you are the exception to the above.....you indeed have a long and undisputed reputation of being a gentleman. Nevertheless, you really need to be on the other side of the deal from these guys a couple of times.
Last edited by Plate Cap on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Low Power TV has been around for 36 years, I doubt that it's going anywhere soon.

Plate Cap, you are correct with stories of operators being less than honorable, but to be honest, the FCC sold all of us a blue sky story from day one. People have invested their life savings and mortgaged their homes to get into a really tough business. A business that has had to change to survive! Do you know that Class A low power stations having more rules to follow than full power stations? After investing every dime you have into a business, sometimes you have to do, what you have to do to keep it going.

You mentioned the original intent. Going back to the beginning of LPTV, the FCC said that you could build a station for $10,000 dollars and being in the TV business doing local programing. Did they think all this local programing was just going to pop out of thin air? Even with volunteers and interns, it still costs a lot of money to do simple local programing. Anyone that thought that LPTV was going to be a cash cow needs to have their head examined. Now after all these years, some of us have figured out how to survive by doing one thing or another to stay in business.

When something like this satellite failure comes along, it shows how thin we have to operate to keep it going. When a station has an engineer in-house or monthly retainer, they get things fixed quickly. When the engineer is just a person you call when there is a problem, things take time to be taken care of when there is a problem.

LPTV is just a small business, so please don't compare us to the big stations owned by deep pocket corporations.

The Constant Browser

Post by The Constant Browser » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:30 pm

From New York Times in 1982
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/04/11/busin ... wanted=all

I remember Allstate had 100 plus applications for LPTV all over the country. I think they had a deal with Jampro to get the stations built.

Also in 1997 Telstar 301 was "fried" by a magnetic storm and it was carrying most of the C Band feeds of all the broadcast networks (except NBC on Ku)

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Good article, but it left out one other big use for LPTV in the early days.... Wireless cable!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic