Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 9-17-2017 at 1:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

I don't watch Ch4 news anymore

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
deadend

I don't watch Ch4 news anymore

Post by deadend » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:46 pm

My grandparents always watched WDIV Ch4 for news. It was the go-to source for local happenings. When I was a child, my mother always had on Ch4 for news because that's what her parents had always watched. As I set out in the world I too always watched Ch4 for news. Ch2 and 7 were afterthoughts. IMO, this is how a lot of channels and stations have such a following: its what your parents watched so its what you'll end up watching too. The same usually goes for political views, but that's another matter entirely.

I grew up watching the likes of Mort Crim, Carmen Harlen (who I know many on here don't like), Bernie (there's another one), Emery King, Chuck Gaidica, etc. They became part of our daily routine. As the years went by and reporters got older they would retire or move on to other pastures. WDIV replaced Mort Crim with Devin Scillian, Carmen with Kimberly Gill, KooKoo Attaboy, and so on...all respectable at their jobs. They had a few weak reporters but they were mostly relegated to weekend mornings or fluff pieces.

Over the last few years I stopped watching Ch4 in the morning for a few reasons. 1 was that it wasn't local after a certain point and The Today Show would essentially knock it off the air. 2 the overly giddy and happy weather guy in the morning turned me off and the 3rd and main reason is from so many unrelated sources is that Rhonda Walker is one stuck up, rude diva. Absolutely unlikeable, to the point where I can not look at her with out thinking of all the stories Ive heard about people encountering her over the years and not think about that. So I started watching Ch2 in the morning. I like Roop, Deena, Jessica Starr and their street reporters, but I don't like those two creepy weather guys on there. But oh well. I still watched Ch4 in the evenings.

That is until they promoted HankTTHHHHH Wintttthhhchestthhhhrrrrr. I can not stand this guy. I found myself scrambling for the remote any time he was on, and switching to another station. The whole Helpthhhh Mettthhh Hankttthhhhh shtick in so laughable. The promos for it are terrible and the reports themselves are even worse. He's got a speech impediment which I'm sure he cant help, but why would they put him in such a position where he'd be a main player? He obviously doesn't have the skills. He does, however, have the mannerisms of a teenage girl with all the weird head gestures and hand movements. He started out on fluff pieces and that was fine, but not serious reporting. So between him, loud mouth obnoxious Paula Tutman and constant promos for Helptthhhhh Mettthhhh Hanktthhhth, I found myself leaving Ch2 on for the local news source for the entire day. I got tired of trying to scramble for the remote any time Hanky came on because he is cringe worthy to watch.

It makes me wonder if my children be Ch2 views for life now that Ive made the switch? Its amazing that primarily one bad reporter/special investigator changed what was a decades long viewing habit in my family. I'm sure the same goes for radio. So Ill continue to watch Ch2 for local news all day, even with the two creepy weather guys (Derek Kvra and Alan Longstreet).

lovinlife101

Re: I don't watch Ch4 news anymore

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Hank Winchethter ith unwatchable, no doubt about it.

I think theeth thtationth are run by amateurth.

Jamalwashingtonmedia

Post by Jamalwashingtonmedia » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:58 pm

You may not like the reporters today, but at least show some respect for their given names.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Jamalwashingtonmedia wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:58 pm
You may not like the reporters today, but at least show some respect for their given names.
Or as was done above write it the way he says it... the guy has an awful lisp...

Jamalwashingtonmedia

Post by Jamalwashingtonmedia » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:09 am

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:27 pm
Or as was done above write it the way he says it... the guy has an awful lisp...
Or you can just not be a jerk about it. And I'm not calling you one personally, so hopefully it doesn't get me banned. But you can go about it without making fun of a person's given name.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:48 am

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:09 am
NS8401 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:27 pm
Or you can just not be a jerk about it. And I'm not calling you one personally, so hopefully it doesn't get me banned. But you can go about it without making fun of a person's given name.
Trust me... it won't get you banned...

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:45 am

I've gone from being a TV2 viewer in the morning (when possible) to ditching it in favor of either 4 or 7.

Cannot stand Lue and her attitude that still has "I don't wanna be here stuck in Detroit" air about it.

If she goes I may decide to change my mind.... but since that hasn't happened, and since I don't watch... I guess my world will never know. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image>>RayQix<<Image

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:08 am

I also do not watch anymore. It's annoying now. I Miss the old gang.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic