Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit’s Worst Stations In 2018

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14803

Detroit’s Worst Stations In 2018

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:34 am

WDTW Alt 106.7, this is a radio nightmare and we need to pull the plug 🔌 on this one.
WMGC The Bounce, Started out great then something went out of Bounce, you have time to fix it, so fix it.
CIDR The River 93.9, What are you clowns doing across the The River, do you even know what format you are, get some direction you could actually be a good station if you knew where you want to go.
WDRQ Nash FM 93.1, Stop chasing after 99.5 they will always be #1 in Country, Cumulus you have so many opportunities to put something on that 93.1 frequency that will actually work, hell you can even bring Doug back I’m sure a lot of people would welcome him back to Detroit.
What are your worst for 2018? Now does someone else what to start a thread on the Best Of 2018? Happy New Year from my Wife and Family and Myself to all of you, and drive safe.

ZenithCKLW

Re: Detroit’s Worst Stations In 2018

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:39 am

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:44 am

Didn’t think of that one the last time I did it caused a little ruckus, and didn’t think of any AM Stations but yes they are a good candidate.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Dont listen to 93.9 anymore. I liked the format but the playlist got way too tight and I dont like hearing the same song 3 times a day. But at least its something a little different. We know the real answer is fault 106. No direction. A failure.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:51 pm

1090,1130 and 1270
Last edited by 48125er on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:26 pm

My contenders for worst stations? In no particular order....
CIDR-FM:
93.9 The River started out as canada's first adult album alternative station but over time it grew to become a hybrid of AAA and alt-rock... and as we all saw, that began eroding the ratings of sister CIMX 89X (which had enough of its own problems after its big talent left). but in the past year or so it's been trying to move towards a hybrid format of AAA and Modern Adult Contemporary, presumably to steal some listeners from 96.7 CHYR (Hot AC/Contemporary Hits Radio) and 96.3 WDVD (also Hot AC)... I used to enjoy listening to 93.9 The River, but they began losing my interest when they started importing a lot of alt-rock stuff from 89x. I liked their indie rock-leaning hits that they had to chuck to make room for the alt-rock songs (which i'm not that into). They completely lost me when they began importing Modern AC and Hot AC songs, since I could just as easily get them on 96.3 or 96.7... why duplicate what's already available on stations that do it better? Come on, Bell... you were STARTING to learn your lesson by semi-fixing 89X... is there a facepalm emoji on this board?

WDTW-FM:
106.7 seems to be cursed due to owner incompetence. W4 Country was great... Alice was okay... The Drive was okay but withered and died, so it was replaced with Fox Country... that limped along for a few years before getting replaced with The Beat. That was an alright format and did well.... should've stuck around, in my opinion... but I fucking LOVED what replaced it: 106.7 THE D! hair metal, hard rock, classic rock hits.... oh my god, yes! it was like Alice 3.0 and i was addicted to it... it was retooled a bit to add newer artists but i still listened. Once they did their brief stint with Variety Hits, though... I knew something was up. their Variety Hits format had potential, but it's iHeartMedia, so I knew they'd find SOME way to fuck it up. Now we have.... this. Whatever the hell "Alt 106.7" is supposed to be. It's like an alternative rock station programmed by someone that never heard alt rock before (or hates the format). This won't be around too long. I predict a September 2019 retooling or reformatting to something else. Come on, Classic Gold dance hits (1975-2005)! :D

WDRQ-FM:
93.1 had a good thing going with Doug FM. it was cheap, simple to run, had a VAST library of music from 1965 to the current-day (2010 at the time of the format's end), and proved Variety Hits could sustain two stations in Detroit (the other being WOMC-FM) and still be successful. Bring back Doug and all will be forgiven! Hell, there's even an opening for an Alice or The D style of classic rock station to give WCSX someone to compete with, too! Or, if you want to stick with country... put Nash Icon on there, since that's your country-western and classics format.

Then Cume-u-Less got the bright idea to start up a country music empire with "Nash FM" and "Nash Icon" and "Nash Magazine". Yeah, unless you have a partnership with The Grand Ole Opry, Luken Communications (owners of Heartland TV) or Jim Owens Entertainment (owners of "The Nashville Network" branding and some programs), I can practically guarantee failure. Those are the biggest properties in country music, and if you plan to compete AGAINST them *and* the top-dog in the market (99.5 WYCD), without any compelling programs or LOCAL HOSTS, you will not do better than a 2 rating. I guess maybe they're happy replacing a good-income automated station with a crap-income automated station... would explain their chronic financial issues... :P

WFDF-AM:
I'm genuinely amazed that this station is still somehow on the air. I'll give Kevin Adell props for somehow making money off this station with few listeners.

WCAR-AM 1090 and WDFN-AM 1130:
I can't tell which is worse-off... they're trying to go up against the tag-team duo that is WXYT-FM 97.1 The Ticket and WXYT-AM 1270 for news-talk. Those two rule the roost and these are like two fleas on a giant elephant's ass. They're less than "also-ran"s...
Last edited by RingtailedFox on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:55 pm

If they continue at this rate they will be an A/C, they may have to reapply with the CRTC at that point to change format, and technically CHYR is not a Windsor station and The River could become A/C for the Windsor Market.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:08 pm

The CRTC might say "no, you'll crush CHYR with your bigger signal, even if they are more popular. they're the incumbent, so find another format to play, or go back to your original licensed format...." Trying to back-door a format change this way could get bell's hand slapped hard, so they better be careful.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:18 pm

That in all honesty really sucks for Bell Media, they have 4 Stations and 3 of them Don’t pull in the numbers in the Windsor ratings, CKLW is the only successful station. So Blackburn is not really kicking ass either but they make it tough for Bell to change formats, kind of a Catch 22 in a way.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:31 pm

Worst Detroit station on FM:
The 96.7 MHz translator for WEXL (err...WCHB, as it's now known.)

Dishonorable mention:
The Air-1 translators. Lousy processing. Too much lousy sounding music. Occasional microwave issues.

Worst Detroit station on AM:
1090. Why is this thing even on the air?

Dishonorable mention:
990 WDEO. Their ground system is totally shot. It is amazing how flimsy this station sounds inside of its predicted 2 mV/m contour.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:50 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:34 am
WDTW Alt 106.7, this is a radio nightmare and we need to pull the plug 🔌 on this one.
WMGC The Bounce, Started out great then something went out of Bounce, you have time to fix it, so fix it.
CIDR The River 93.9, What are you clowns doing across the The River, do you even know what format you are, get some direction you could actually be a good station if you knew where you want to go.
WDRQ Nash FM 93.1, Stop chasing after 99.5 they will always be #1 in Country, Cumulus you have so many opportunities to put something on that 93.1 frequency that will actually work, hell you can even bring Doug back I’m sure a lot of people would welcome him back to Detroit.
What are your worst for 2018? Now does someone else what to start a thread on the Best Of 2018? Happy New Year from my Wife and Family and Myself to all of you, and drive safe.
As to Doug - I second that emotion.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:17 pm

Please don’t get emotional on me, Jesus! My Wife has enough emotion and she’s a handful 😆. But we need to do something with 93.1 and hopefully Cumulus will in 2019.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:30 pm

Bringing back Doug-FM honestly is not a bad idea.
The ratings were not even that bad. They just needed a station to throw Nash on and chose it.

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic