Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 8-17-2017 at 7:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

NOAA WX Radio off again

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

NOAA WX Radio off again

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:16 am

Cleveland WX radio coming in intermittently both at home, and at our place on the St. Clair River. I wonder what the issue is this time?
"Mares eat oats, and does eat oats, and I'll be home for christmas"

WOHO

Re: NOAA WX Radio off again

Post by WOHO » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:39 am

I wish that the NWS would actually stream all their NWR sites, as many local sites eventually crap out and you have nothing. IF the NWS did it, if their RF transmitter is offline, maybe they can still stream it?

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:34 pm

Not a bad idea, but personally, I find streaming to be a nuisance. Who has enough data for THAT? Perhaps I'm showing my advanced age. In any event, NOAA in Southfield is still off. Now hearing a few minutes of Cleveland, alternating with Grand Rapids.
"Mares eat oats, and does eat oats, and I'll be home for christmas"

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:34 pm
Not a bad idea, but personally, I find streaming to be a nuisance. Who has enough data for THAT? Perhaps I'm showing my advanced age. In any event, NOAA in Southfield is still off. Now hearing a few minutes of Cleveland, alternating with Grand Rapids.
How can they possibly not have a backup system? For that matter why don't they make any announcements regarding what's going on with it?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Typical NOAA. It's an unreliable system because it isn't properly maintained.

My cell service has been lost only one time in the past ten years.

Didn't channel 4 just do a radio giveaway? Ironically, the KEC 63 antenna is on WDIV's tower.

Update: apparently, a phone line outage is the culprit.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 pm

Now the radar is down...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:23 pm

I never understood why NWR doesn't have a back-up system as they are an alternate to the LP-1 LP-2 EAS system for alerts. Likewise, they have the old landline- which probably was the most reliable until a few years ago- but having a microwave back-up sure would make sense to me.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 am

I've been involved in the placement of a couple of NWS radio systems....it is a typical governmental mess of inflexible rules and procedures translating into less than optimal installations in unique situations, and not having the flexibility to keep up with available technology.

That said, the regional office people are holding down an awful lot of data collection and analysis responsibilities, all with specific timelines.....some very critical. The WX radio is just one of the tools in the box, and they can't dedicate all their time to it.

With appropriate apologies to those who haunt this board and feel the more government can 'do for us' the better, it would be better handed off to a contractor whose feet are held to the fire to build and operate the transmitters and deliver the audio to them properly.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:49 pm

This posted recently on a broadcast and tech Facebook site, noting the announced temporary outage of a midwest site:
NWS "is in the process of a big transition on how they feed the transmitter sites. Currently many are on old analog lines that the telcos want to kill off. Moving to IP based delivery on a variety of links, and also building some cool monitoring tools as well."
Maybe that's what they were up to here?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic