Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 7-23-2017 at 8:30p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

For 89X, May's ratings must've been a total disaster...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

For 89X, May's ratings must've been a total disaster...

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:41 pm

I've noticed a substantial playlist shift within the past 24 hours.

Not sure exactly when the changes started, but the indie/wuss music intensive playlist the station has been featuring for the better part of the past couple years (which they doubled-down in a gigantic way following the U.S. staffer massacre) appears to be gone.

I said all along that such a playlist would be an absolute disaster in a rust belt market like Detroit. Is there a logical home for some of those songs? Absolutely! A number of those singles would fit well on 93.9 The River. Unfortunately, 93.9 The River remains a weak-sauced Modern AC that masquerades as a AAA station.

The station was still playing big piles of foul horseshit (i.e. music for wussies) last weekend, so the playlist changes must've occurred some time this week.

I think the music still needs a LOT of work, but for the first time in quite a while, I can once again tolerate their playlist in moderate doses.

A lot of popular (read: safe) singles from the 90's & early 00's are now getting major airplay. Currents & recurrents have definitely been scaled back, and unlike before, are now split about 50/50 between wimpy alternative titles and harder edged rock.

I would like to see Metalllica, Disturbed, A7X, more Volbeat, much more Tool, more SOAD, and similar bands featured.

All songs from Fall Out Boy and Simple Plan need to be tossed into the garbage can, plain & simple.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

1027BrianFM

Re: May ratings must've been a total disaster for 89X

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:37 am

Time to stick a fork in that mess.
The All new 102.7 Brian FM... the one all the others will be listening to...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:07 am

89X's imaging sounds so f*cking bland.

It's impossible to make the station sound more boring!
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Family radio with Harold Camping might only be 2nd to them. I tired listening to them and I remembered why I took them off my presets years ago.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:03 pm

So I guess they're still playing simple plans greatest songs that barely hit top 40... back in 2004.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:33 pm

48125er wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:03 pm
So I guess they're still playing simple plans greatest songs that barely hit top 40... back in 2004.
Simple Plan has had more success in Canada than in the States. Then again, Simple Plan is from Montreal

TC Shuts Up

Re: For 89X, May's ratings must've been a total disaster...

Post by TC Shuts Up » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Maybe the ratings were hacked by "The Russians". Is there no limit to what they will hack?

I guess not. Look at this.

https://me.me/i/were-gladyoure-home-the ... ay-5753364
Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:23 pm

I think a Russian music format might net a ratings increase for CIMX-FM! :)

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:52 pm

I was back in the area for the first time in a while and decided flipped stations on the way to Saturday's Tigers game (a loss NOT due to the pen, heh). I tried listening to 89X and it's probably the worst I've heard, ever. And they've sounded like garbage for years now. I can receive CIDR in most of greater Cleveland so I knew what to expect with their too Hot AC for Alternative, too hits-based for AAA, too Alternative for Modern AC sound (I find the station tolerable in small doses). It's too bad 107.1 only came in from about Monroe to the Detroit proper line, they sound pretty damn good, impressive considering it's Cumulus. That is what 93.9 should sound like (not sure if it'd work in a market like Detroit, but I like it).

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:56 am

Eh.. velcom to the new station, 88.7 Vladimir FM, you eh... vill like it or I make you like it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:00 pm

89X still sounds absolutely horrendous.

Playlist has too few titles and a lot of stiffs are playing in medium or even high rotation. Songs & artists the station SHOULD be playing are nowhere to be found.

Phat Matt is probably 10 or 15 years too old to be programming a station like this, and it's obvious their music research stinks.

The station sounds lifeless...what a pathetic effort. Do I need to hears "Lights Out" by Royal Blood, "Failure" by Breaking Benjamin (a total stiff), or one of the two singles by Highly Suspect damn near every time I turn on the station?

Someone should also inform these clueless bozos that Nirvana made more than five songs that are radio-worthy.

WRIF does such a better job crafting its playlist than 89X that it's not even funny!!! ...And WRIF isn't even that great of a station when it comes to music. (I'd describe them as fair.)

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:50 pm

WRIF is 50% commercials. Agreed 89x is still unlistenable. Since they have waved the white flag on the US side, I don't there fortunes are going to be much better just focusing on Windsor ON.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic