Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

93.1's playlist is total garbage - I'm calling them "Gnash" again!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

93.1's playlist is total garbage - I'm calling them "Gnash" again!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:46 pm

I've noticed a playlist shift over there in recent weeks, and I'm not liking it at all !!!

A lot of the variety has been stripped from the playlist. Top currents are being played in CHR-like rotation. Keith Urban gets played once if not twice hourly. Ditto for Luke Bryan. Faux-country is once again prominently featured on the station. Awful songs from Florida-Georgia Line are getting played very frequently. So is that twit, Sam Hunt ('YCD plays him too much as well).

Has anyone else noticed this musical shift at 93.1?

I've reduced my listening to 93.1 dramatically over the past 60 days.

Look at this playlist and try not to throw up in your mouth:

http://wdrq.tunegenie.com/
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

1027BrianFM

Re: 93.1's playlist is total garbage - I'm calling them "Gnash" again!

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:07 pm

I'll have to give it a listen to give a objective opinion. While they are not doing terrible ratings wise, they will always be 2nd Fiddle to 99.5fm.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:10 pm

Is 95.9 better than them nowadays.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:28 pm

First - I've gotta say Keith Urban's new single sucks to high heaven and doesn't sound anything like a Country song. It belongs on an AC or Hot AC station. 93.1 is playing the living crap out of it.

I've never liked 95.9, and their signal in the car stinks in my area. Playlist wise, they probably stack up well against WDRQ, but there are multiple other aspects of 95.9 that I dislike. The generic sounding imaging, the lack of DJ's in multiple dayparts, the lack of listener engagement on the air, and especially the limp audio processing are all big turn-offs for me.

I see no reason at all to listen to CJWF when I can simply listen to WYCD.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:51 pm

WSAQ has a decent playlist, but it's tougher for me to pull in, thanks to the K-Love translator in Warren.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:08 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:28 pm
First - I've gotta say Keith Urban's new single sucks to high heaven and doesn't sound anything like a Country song. It belongs on an AC or Hot AC station. 93.1 is playing the living crap out of it.

I've never liked 95.9, and their signal in the car stinks in my area. Playlist wise, they probably stack up well against WDRQ, but there are multiple other aspects of 95.9 that I dislike. The generic sounding imaging, the lack of DJ's in multiple dayparts, the lack of listener engagement on the air, and especially the limp audio processing are all big turn-offs for me.

I see no reason at all to listen to CJWF when I can simply listen to WYCD.
If I Fall? I don't think that song is that bad. It definitely has an AC sound to it.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:25 pm

It's not a horrible song, but it ain't country.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:36 pm

What does annoy me greatly about that song is the fact the music arrangement sounds like something lifted from a teenager's low budget demo tape.

Zero guitar in a supposed country song whose male singer spent much of the past two years endorsing guitar lesson video tapes via infomercial!

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Country radio has become a home for pure Adult Contemporary songs that couldn't make it on mainstream AC radio because mainstream AC is too busy playing one-to-five-year-old burnt CHR recurrents and the same 150 "safe" '80s songs. Lauren Alaina's "Road Less Traveled" is another example - that's the kind of song that would have been all over AC 15 years ago. And the songs that aren't unabashed AC all have the exact same faux-trap beat.

As far as 95.9 goes, there's little difference musically between 93.1/99.5 except for the Canadian content, a lot of which is just as bad as U.S. pop country.

Fortunately I'm within listening range of Duke FM if I need a country fix. Nash Icon isn't worth having to sit through Kelsea Ballerini and Sam Hunt to hear the good stuff. Unfortunately with the current crossover success of "Body Like a Back Road" Sam Hunt is only getting bigger.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Uggggggggggh! Sam Hunt. Cannot stand him. It's a coin toss between Hunt and F-G Line for worst current (faux) country artist.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:54 pm

ChrisKun2K5 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:14 pm
Country radio has become a home for pure Adult Contemporary songs that couldn't make it on mainstream AC radio because mainstream AC is too busy playing one-to-five-year-old burnt CHR recurrents and the same 150 "safe" '80s songs...
So true! :lol
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Gnash's ratings are a complete disaster. People are tuning out (or simply avoiding the station in the first place) and tuning in WYCD in droves.

The gap between WYCD and WDRQ in ratings is the widest it's been in many, many months. Overall, WYCD is now in second place (!!!). WDRQ finished a miserable 18th.

WDRQ will always be a ratings loser over the long haul so long as they refuse to go local in A.M. Drive.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:04 pm

The last country song I liked was Leave The Pieces by the Wreckers, (Michelle Branch, Jessica Harp.) I'm not sure how much it was played by Radio.

WDET programing plays some country during in weekend music programing, but it's nothing commercial Country Radio would even go near, (which I guess is a good thing.)

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:13 pm

This might be a weird question but here goes. Has anyone ever heard local country radio play The Marshall Tucker Band in the last 20 years? , (first 1973/1983 version.) I haven't listened to country radio since 1990.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:58 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:13 pm
This might be a weird question but here goes. Has anyone ever heard local country radio play The Marshall Tucker Band in the last 20 years? , (first 1973/1983 version.) I haven't listened to country radio since 1990.
WOMC played "Can't You See" in rotation for a long time but there isn't a market for classic country in radio apparently so the answer is no... country today is more like rock music with a fiddle and a guy with a backwoods voice...

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:50 pm

Classic country run out of a closet?

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:53 pm

I remember a country station in Marquette playing Aimee. It sad to think modern country wouldn't touch that song.

(To me that's as good as country or country rock gets. I'll take that over any Eagles song.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic