Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 9-17-2017 at 1:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

'Slacker' Rises To PD At Amp

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radioboi

'Slacker' Rises To PD At Amp

Post by radioboi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:22 am

CBS RADIO Top 40 WDZH (98.7 AMP RADIO)/DETROIT ups APD/MD/Afternoon Drive Host IAN “SLACKER” RICHARDS to PD.

RICHARDS will continue to host Afternoons, 3-7p. In 2003, RICHARDS started his radio career in FLINT as an intern at WQUS and in 2005, moved on to WRCL (CLUB 93.7) as Night Show Host/MD.

In 2010, while still working at WRCL, RICHARDS joined the WDZH team as a part-time air personality and in 2012, he left WRCL to become the full time Afternoon Drive Host/MD at the station. He added APD to his title in OCTOBER 2015.

VP/Programming-DETROIT TIM ROBERTS said, “IAN has demonstrated over and over an in-depth knowledge of the Top 40 format, music and artists. He is also a natural leader both on and off the air for our staff and the WDZH brand.”

“I am excited to take WDZH to the next level and grow as a programmer! I’d like to thank our Market Manager DEBBIE KENYON, and some of the best programmers in the industry who helped me get to where I am today including, MICHAEL MARTIN, TIM ROBERTS, ERIK BRADLEY, TIM RAINEY and CLAY CHURCH,” said RICHARDS.
https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/arch ... -98-7-amp-

option1

Re: 'Slacker' Rises To PD At Amp

Post by option1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Good for him! Nice to finally see a positive story in radio. Guy earned it. And he works with some great people/talent in that building.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Hopefully, he makes some refinements to WDZH's sound.

CBS as a company does not execute CHR nearly as well as iHeart.

Anyway, I do wish him success and have taken note of his vast improvement in on-air skills over the past few years. He used to be rather rough on the air. These days, I think he does a terrific job.

Song repetition on DZH is outrageous, even by CHR standards. They must be spinning their powers at least 140x a week.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

Radio Sucks

Post by Radio Sucks » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:44 am

Just checked the monitors, and WDZH plays the top 5 currents over 100 times a week - (sorry for the columns, could not get it to copy very well..)
A famous radio based website which would want to cancel my access if they knew I posted this, monitors WDZH and wrote:Artist Title Plays this week
Zedd Feat. Alessia C… Stay Def Jam/I… +2 124
Mars, Bruno That's What I Like Atlantic 0 121
Kygo x Selena Gomez It Ain't Me Ultra/RCA… +1 120
Chainsmokers & Coldp… Something Just Like… Disruptor… -5 118
DJ Khaled Feat. Just… I'm The One We The Be… +35 102

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:12 am

Good info - thank you!!!

Not quite as bad as I suspected.

100 - 110x spins for the top 3 or 4 singles is common for CHR.

To have four songs near or above 120 spins is pushing it, but I know there are a number of other CHRs out there who do the same thing. (CBS's CHR & Adult CHR stations almost always seem to be more repetitious than their iHeart counterparts.)

WDZH just has ridiculous repetitiveness to it. 80% of the weekly playlist seems to come from 20 or fewer songs on that station. I don't remember the CHR stations I listened to growing up (1990's) sounding that way. Heck, I don't remember 93.1 DRQ sounding that way in the late 90's / early 2K's.

Maybe I only have this opinion because so much of the music that 98.7 plays just sounds like crap to me.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:55 am

Everybody complains about repitition, but that was the original concept of Top 40 radio back in the 50's. Play the top songs, and play them to death.

Radio Sucks

Post by Radio Sucks » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:37 am

I think that many radio researchers would agree with this statement:

Listeners don't complain about too much repetition of songs they like!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Even the songs I LOVE - I don't wish to hear 'em every 45 - 60 minutes. Just sayin'.

option1

Post by option1 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:41 pm

Top40=It's not how long u stay at the party, but how many people come to the party. Successful top40 stations dominate cume. And are artist driven. Depending on who is hot, u may hear the same artist 3 or 4 times in an hour. It's a scheduling nightmare.

It is a young end format whose philosophy has stood the test of time. For every adult it loses there's a teen to replace her. At least that is the goal.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic