Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

106.7 The D flips to Rock-based Variety Hits

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Rich S

106.7 The D flips to Rock-based Variety Hits

Post by Rich S » Fri May 26, 2017 10:42 am

Just tuned into the D and noticed new jingle package proclaiming that they play "anything." Which apparently includes "Hungry like the wolf" by Duran Duran.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 106.7 The D flips to Rock-based Variety Hits

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 26, 2017 11:46 am

Confirmed. New format is Variety Hits. Just like Doug FM used to be in its early years; heavy classic rock lean with some "safe" new wave and 90's stuff tossed in a couple times an hour.

http://1067thed.iheart.com

The station appears to be steering clear of nearly all pop or rhythmic material to avoid stepping on sister station WNIC's toes. Too bad. Was hoping for a station that sounded more like 106.5 The Lake in Cleveland. (However, like 106.5 The Lake in Cleveland, 106.7 The D is using Ann what's-her-face as its female imaging voice; sounds odd hearing her on a station other than WDVD!)

Like the better part of the past 17 or 18 years, this format is gunning for WCSX but now also appears to be targeting a slice of the WOMC audience.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri May 26, 2017 2:05 pm

So this leaves WRIF essentially by itself, not that 106.7 as classic rock ever posed a serious threat. The new D is between WCSX and WOMC. Move makes sense, wonder if the station will be totally jockless eventually like Doug was.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri May 26, 2017 2:16 pm

In honour of the D flipping formats and being taken off my preset's Im taking for the drive to work this aft. .......

Motorhead The Best of & White Zombie Astro creep 2000 CD's to listen to.........good bye 106.7 !!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Rexroth: Detroit's NEW #1 for the Most Accurate Weather

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri May 26, 2017 3:12 pm

The D should have stayed with the "Classic Rock that Rocks" format. Now, we'll be treated to 3 stations playing "Still the One" by Orleans. :x. Another cursed frequency. Thank you, Peter Connelly.
"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 26, 2017 7:22 pm

I disagree. Alan Cox added nothing (but I did appreciate the music intensive format in the morning) and Nikki Sixx at night sucked to high heaven. The playlist was too narrow until the very end, when things were opened up a bit, perhaps as a prelude to the new positioning.

Most iFart classic rockers sound mediocre or downright lousy. 106.7 was no exception. I'll place them in the "mediocre" category. Never any surprises, deep cuts, etc. Just overplayed guitar rock for blue collar types. I wish 106.7 would've played more blues-type rock.

Would love to see 89X flip to hard rock. Will never happen with the current crew of underachievers in that building.

I will have to check out WCSX again. It's been months since I've listened to them at length. I gave up on them because of...you guessed it...repetitious, lame music. I also cannot stand Dave Dahmer's shtick. Hopefully with WOMC freshening things up recently, WCSX has done the same.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri May 26, 2017 7:30 pm

If they want to succeed, they need to copy Cox Media's 107.3 The Eagle out of Tampa. They bill themselves as Classic Hits but are heavily classic rock and sound damn good...
Not an optimist or pestimist, but a realist on life

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 26, 2017 7:45 pm

So far, they seem to pretty much be following the exact formula (music wise) that 93.1 Doug FM used under ABC and Citadel ownership, before Cumulus changed things up a bit. The processing on 106.7 is a little brighter.

Doug FM's playlist worked well for several years - at times matching or beating WCSX in A25-54. That said, a combination of stale music and zero personality ultimately took its toll on 93.1.

Will be interesting to see if we hear any jocks on 106.7 after Memorial Day, or if they decide to remain completely jockless like Doug FM.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri May 26, 2017 7:48 pm

After looking at their playlist for the past 24 hours, switch appears to have been made at midnight. Songs that wouldn't fit it in a classic rock format suddenly appeared then...
Not an optimist or pestimist, but a realist on life

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri May 26, 2017 9:04 pm

I liked The D shortly after it launched, when the station was had a much more uptempo sound than CSX. More recently, it's been polluted with far too much Journey, Bryan Adams, and Tom Petty. The piped in AM drive show from Cleveland was awful. Nikki Sixx was awful from the get-go. Even worse with the departure of Kerri Kasem.

Doug-FM sounded best when Steve Kosbau was there. Throw rotten fruit if you like, but that's the truth.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri May 26, 2017 10:04 pm

I thought it was kind of funny hearing Nikki Sixx talking about throwing up wine, (and I never was really a Motley Crue fan.)

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 26, 2017 10:44 pm

I shall immediately bow down and thank the radio Gods for blessing me with an FM station that plays Tainted Love. It has been entirely too long since I've last heard that song. Same goes for other tunes of that category. I was wondering when SOMEONE was gonna have the nads to turn the industry on its ear and break the mold with a format and song selection like this.

Now I just need someone to step up and play Drake and Nicki Minaj and Lil Sean and Big Wayne and all soundalikes in a nauseating rotation. What a time to be alive! Will the wonders ever cease???
Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:37 pm

They are playing 60's music that WOMC has gotten rid of. I like it!!

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri May 26, 2017 11:55 pm

I hope they scale back some of the moldy classic rock, BTO, Styx, etc.... Sounds a lot like Doug FM was. The move made sense, I am thinking they will be totally jockless.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:10 am

Well this is a total joke of a format change.... Thats the thing its really not a format change at all! Just a new logo and voice overs..... Like fuck its a "variety hits" station! This is 106.7 THE DRIVE all over again! ZERO pop hits, and all rock. Theres no "wow" factor or element of surprise in the playlist..... Just stale hairbands and dinosaur rock with a few softer rock songs and new wave thrown in. I think they are trying to hold on to the old "D" listeners as much as possible, and trying to attract some new ones..... I am not a fan with the playlist..... Glad I have CKUE 100.7 Cool FM to listen to! A TRUE VARIETY HITS STATION!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat May 27, 2017 9:40 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't "Alice" originally Variety Hits? Hard to believe, that was almost 20 years ago.

I agree, Cool FM is far superior to this. I really do need to get that rotor fixed.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat May 27, 2017 9:53 am

CC should have tried before flipping, the mainstream playlist of their station in toledo WIOT.And left everything as it was logo and imaging.

Doug fm garnered mostly 2.1-2.4 ratings if I recall and this format isnt going to go above the 3.0 that the classic rock D had.Just old worn out tunes for this rock variety.

I think listners wanted a more deep cuts classic rock format, whos not tired of hearing crazy train and walk this way for the zillionth time.

And steve, the Drive was more like the D, Alice was the hits you mention when Steve Black worked there.
Dave Rexroth: Detroit's NEW #1 for the Most Accurate Weather

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 27, 2017 10:49 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't "Alice" originally Variety Hits? Hard to believe, that was almost 20 years ago.
The term "Variety Hits" wasn't coined yet. Alice 106.7 was labeled "Rock AC."

Alice for most of its existence played a decent amount of 90's pop/rock and largely steered clear of harder-edged Classic Rock, if I remember correctly. In its final year as "Alice," it started to play much more classic rock and sounded quite a bit like the current station musically.

I made mention of the similarities between The D and the old 93.1 Doug FM earlier. There are some minor differences, however. The biggest one is the fact 106.7 The D plays some hard rock that Doug FM rarely if ever would touch. Examples: "Paradise City" by Guns 'N Roses, "Sad But True" by Metallica, and I also heard a song from Rush yesterday evening.

I must say - the "We Play Anything" positioning statement is a joke. For a station that targets middle-aged white people, I find it hilarious that there is absolutely zero Country music in the playlist on this so called "anything" station. (Yeah, we "play anything" except for the most popular genre of music for the audience we claim to target.)

All Sports and Hard Rock are the two genres in this town where there should be room for more than just one station. 89X and Hot 107.5 are two stations that don't deserve to survive under their current formats.

iFart as a company has always been bearish when it comes to sports radio. This is a byproduct of the fact its programming execs' backgrounds primarily reside within the CHR/Pop, AC and Country genres. Minneapolis is the only large or major market where they do the format on a full-signaled FM stick *and* give it the proper resources to succeed. The station they launched last year in Columbus at 105.7 FM (Columbus in general is a pretty weak radio market) is an absolute abortion - even more so than Detroit Sports 105.1.

I still think Beasley is going to acquire more stations in Detroit at some point. They have two very strong stations already, and 105.1's outlook is pretty decent (at least for the time being). As such, they are well positioned for growth locally. The strong survive and the weak get eaten! LOL Radio One was already a weak operator and will only become weaker now that 105.1 is fighting for some of the same advertising dollars. Then, there's the whole issue of looming bankruptcy for both Cumulus and iFart.

Radio Sucks

Post by Radio Sucks » Sat May 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Our fearless leader, and still a fan of over the air radio bless his heart, wrote: Was hoping for a station that sounded more like 106.5 The Lake in Cleveland. (However, like 106.5 The Lake in Cleveland, 106.7 The D is using Ann what's-her-face as its female imaging voice; sounds odd hearing her on a station other than WDVD!)
Just heard an imaging piece. The same male voice as is on The Lake in CLE and The Bus in CMH. It will morph towards more pop I predict, keeping a classic rock lean. Station sounds good..

No jocks coming, if they copy the Lake and Bus playlist.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat May 27, 2017 8:07 pm

I have heard nothing so far that would compel me to listen. WOMC has a very little to worry about. The songs I have heard so far are nothing special. This is "yesterday's corned beef hash, rehashed" and nothing more.

As to the original Doug FM, yes, there was a smattering of country, and a lot of 70's and 80's gold AC. One noteworthy segue I recall was "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight" by England Dan & John Ford Coley, followed by "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode. Once the Dickey's took over, all of the "variety" was removed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic