Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 8-17-2017 at 7:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Time to stop picking on Valenti

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Charlesjones

Time to stop picking on Valenti

Post by Charlesjones » Thu May 25, 2017 10:52 am

For those who constantly complain about Mike Valenti I hope you listened to his in studio interview with Stan Van Gundy yesterday. It was not only a great interview but also a great back and forth discussion, but also everything I've always wished we could get from coach or player interviews in this market . Finally somebody who does it right.

Claymed

Re: Time to stop picking on Valenti

Post by Claymed » Thu May 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Unlike a lot of the posters here, I love Valenti. I like that he's not a homer and not afraid to call out the local teams. He can be abrasive, but I'd much rather hear from him as opposed to "Flipper" Caputo and his blog. The station needs to do something about Bogie and Riger, hosts whose whole approach is to piss off fans, but never follow up with any sort of logic conversation.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Thu May 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Claymed wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 1:19 pm
Unlike a lot of the posters here, I love Valenti. I like that he's not a homer and not afraid to call out the local teams. He can be abrasive, but I'd much rather hear from him as opposed to "Flipper" Caputo and his blog. The station needs to do something about Bogie and Riger, hosts whose whole approach is to piss off fans, but never follow up with any sort of logic conversation.
It is a shame that Bogey's shtick is the "pissed-off know-it-all millennial" stereotype who can't stand anybody over the age of 40, because I actually thought he didn't sound too bad when he got started a few years ago.

As for Jamie and Stoney in the morning, it is a weird vibe when they interact with Feld. They sound like two cranky uncles interacting with their 13-year-old whiny nephew. I miss Sara Fouracre.

radiofan

Post by radiofan » Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Sorry, Valenti just out and out sucks! He's got good sports knowledge, but his asshole persona just rolls like a tidal wave over anything good he does. It's too bad really. He could actually be good if he could just resist being Mr. Snark all the time. Bogie showed some promise when he started, but chose to emulate Valenti, so he's just kind of swirling around in the bowl now about to be sucked down the sewer.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Fri May 26, 2017 12:52 am

Charlesjones wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 10:52 am
For those who constantly complain about Mike Valenti I hope you listened to his in studio interview with Stan Van Gundy yesterday. It was not only a great interview but also a great back and forth discussion, but also everything I've always wished we could get from coach or player interviews in this market . Finally somebody who does it right.
Did he rip SVG for not tanking last season? Motor Mouth routinely rips SVG and the Pistons for not tanking but only when he's not face-to-face with his subjects. "Stop picking on Valenti" is hilarious considering he picks on everyone he doesn't have to face. The guy is a Class A phony. Gutless, too.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 26, 2017 3:18 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Andy. I noticed quite the subdued demeanor from Valenti. And frankly, we all know that the Pistons are the fourth team around here and have been irrelevant for some time. Let's do the same thing with Caldwell or Harbaugh or somebody like that. Let's see how that goes.
Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

jsf

Post by jsf » Fri May 26, 2017 4:02 pm

He might have done a decent interview but that doesn't make up for the hundred"s of bad takes he's had.
J.

Claymed

Post by Claymed » Fri May 26, 2017 5:19 pm

It is obvious that some people don't understand the world of radio and finance. You (97.1) just paid X amount of millions to get the Pistons back. To make the big announcement about the move. You put the team's president/head coach on your highest rated show - Valenti's. Valenti is not there to beat up SVG about last year's team. They are there to hype the Pistons coming back to 97.1 and to start the partnership with good will. If the pistons stink next year, I'm sure Valenti will rip on them and deservedly so.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 26, 2017 7:07 pm

I doubt 97.1 "paid millions." The Pistons don't coommand that type of coin.

More likely, the Pistons came crawling to CBS. It's likely a barter deal. Either the two sides are sharing the ad revenue or the Pistons purchased the airtime outright (in which case they would retain the ad revenue).
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Fri May 26, 2017 9:35 pm

Claymed wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 5:19 pm
It is obvious that some people don't understand the world of radio and finance. You (97.1) just paid X amount of millions to get the Pistons back. To make the big announcement about the move. You put the team's president/head coach on your highest rated show - Valenti's. Valenti is not there to beat up SVG about last year's team. They are there to hype the Pistons coming back to 97.1 and to start the partnership with good will. If the pistons stink next year, I'm sure Valenti will rip on them and deservedly so.

So Valenti is a phony? Last year absolutely plays into this year because their record decided their draft spot. I heard him not long ago (sadly, I canceled satellite radio) ripping them and laughing uncontrollably for not taking. So why not ask SVG about it. He's going to rip on them next year? When SVG isn't in his studio? I bet he will. He's a studio gangster who only rips people when he doesn't have to face them. Grade A phony.

Charlesjones

Post by Charlesjones » Sat May 27, 2017 12:33 am

Actually......challenging van Gundy on their record and not tanking and signing Drummond to a big contract and Drummond not playing the end of games....that is exactly what Valenti did during the interview...he didn't pull any punches...so no...he was not a phony. ...he did exactly what you guys said he should do. So what happens now...will you say "my mistake...Valenti got it right".....or will you change your story and say Valenti should have done something else so you can bash him even if it completely contradicts yourself from yesterday.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:26 pm

I didn't listen to the interview but I will take your word "he got it right". But one "got it right" interview doesn't automatically clean his slate for folks who don't like him.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Mon May 29, 2017 11:32 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 1:26 pm
I didn't listen to the interview but I will take your word "he got it right". But one "got it right" interview doesn't automatically clean his slate for folks who don't like him.
My mistake. Never let it be said I'm not fair. But I agree that one "got it right" interview doesn't make up for all the stupid shit he's said over the years, like calling Steve Nash "garbage." The guy is a two-time MVP who played in eight All-Star Games and made the All-NBA team eight times, including three appearances on the first team. Hardly garbage. Yet be a phony and make outrageous statements so your lousy radio show gets more listeners.

Charlesjones

Post by Charlesjones » Tue May 30, 2017 11:55 pm

I cant believe you used the steve nash comment to trash Valenti compared to any other topic. This is one of the times he has been completely exonerated . Both bleacher report, espn, yahoo sports, and various retired nba players commenting on TV have ran stories or list rankings, and almost all.agree steve nash is the most overrated player in nba history and both his mvp awards are now largely considered to be the biggest mistakes in the nba writers history. He is considered by many nba reporters to be a Stat padder and not an difference maker. It's just funny to me you make an argument that you think proves Valenti is an idiot and you pick the one where most of the known sports world publicly and privately has the same opinion as him.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Wed May 31, 2017 12:44 am

Charlesjones wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 11:55 pm
I cant believe you used the steve nash comment to trash Valenti compared to any other topic. This is one of the times he has been completely exonerated . Both bleacher report, espn, yahoo sports, and various retired nba players commenting on TV have ran stories or list rankings, and almost all.agree steve nash is the most overrated player in nba history and both his mvp awards are now largely considered to be the biggest mistakes in the nba writers history. He is considered by many nba reporters to be a Stat padder and not an difference maker. It's just funny to me you make an argument that you think proves Valenti is an idiot and you pick the one where most of the known sports world publicly and privately has the same opinion as him.
So a player, ANY PLAYER, who lasted 18 years in the NBA is "garbage"? Sorry, you're an idiot. I could live with calling him overrated, overhyped, etc., but "garbage"? Hardly. But thanks for chiming in Mikey. Not why don't you grow some balls and get back on Twitter?

joe60

Post by joe60 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:04 am

I was in the car with my 80 year old mother a few days ago. They were discussing the Tiger Woods incident and asking for opinions. Every time somebody gave an opinion different than his, including the other in studio people, he jumped down their throats. My mother said to me "what an ass, he wont listen to anybody" Like most times I try to listen to him I ended up changing the channel. He can pretend to be human at times but the jerk inside always ends up taking over.

brianp48093

Post by brianp48093 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Damn you guys are brutal on MV. Sure, he's a dick. Does he have an attitude? Yep. Does he dump on Detroit sports teams? You bet your ass he does. I personally like him. Truthfully, I think he's doing a hell of a job solo. I think the show sounds better. As far as the attitude, I have zero problem with it...he says it like it is.

Dogging Detroit Sports teams? I don't blame him. I agree with him...especially the Lions. It sure beats the countless other cheer leading kiss cocks in the media, having a circle jerk to 50+ years of failure.

I don't know the guy personally, but I can tell, he is anal retentive, if not a perfectionist when it comes to his show.

Is he the most talented guy in radio? No. Is he the most talented in this market? By far, yes. If I'm wrong, please cite a name.

MV is very knowledgeable in sports, much more so than the majority of hacks in this market. Plus, I find his show
entertaining. Do I agree with his opinion on everything? No. But, if I don't like it, I turn the station.

All the armchair quarterbacks that think they can do a better show....go for it. Get a radio show and lets see what you got. Put up or shut up.

I don't want to sound like I have a man crush on the guy, I'm just beyond tired of society bitching and moaning, whining and crying due to opinions of others. Society is nothing but whining, safe space, snowflakes.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:41 pm

To sum it up...people who bitch about Mike are whinny snowflakes but you bitching about people who don't care for Mike is what? "telling it like it is?" :rolleyes I guess you sort of missed the part where Mikes whole schtick is " bitching and moaning, whining and crying"

As to Mike being "very knowledgeable in sports" he may be fairly so but I have heard him once or twice when the computers go down and he gets pretty cranky and almost panicked. Makes me wonder if his real skill set is reading a computer screen and talking nonstop at the same time.

As to "All the armchair quarterbacks that think they can do a better show....go for it. Get a radio show and lets see what you got. Put up or shut up." I suppose you could say that about Mike...he plays an armchair coach, manager, quarterback, pitcher, goalie, GM, owner, every day. He criticizes people for things they are paid to do that HE CAN"T DO HIMSELF. There is no reason we can't do the same with him. Don't be a hypocrite.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Valenti is still 10x better than any other "talent" on that station, save for Stoney.

brianp48093

Post by brianp48093 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:10 pm

I don't see MV as bitching, moaning or whining. He sounds frustrated and disgusted with Detroit sports. He obviously doesn't pull any punches. He voices his displeasure loud and clear.

It sure beats the hell out of being a fake kiss ass like so many others. As far as the SVG interview goes, I didn't hear it, so I can't comment. Honestly, if I was listening when the interview started, I would have turned the station. Basketball to me is about as interesting as watching cheese age. Although, if I had a gun to my head and was forced to watch either the Lions or Pistons, I'd choose the Pistons hands down.

What it boils down to is people are butt hurt because someone reiterates the fact that their teams suck. Simple solution like MV has said before...the team plays well, I say nice things, the team sucks, I say bad things. If the teams and their fans want nice things to be said, WIN. Be a WINNING organization. Don't make continuous stupid decisions for half a century, e.g. The Lions.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic