Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Time to stop picking on Valenti

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Andy Sipowicz

Re: Time to stop picking on Valenti

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:31 am

Daypart wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:48 pm
Valenti is still 10x better than any other "talent" on that station, save for Stoney.
That's sort of like saying a double bypass is better than a triple bypass. I do quite a bit of traveling and I don't always listen to sports talk radio on the road but when I do, it's so much better than this crap in Detroit that it's unbelievable. They don't talk about their personal lives or their favorite teams or themselves over and over and over. If Valenti is so good, why is he still stuck in Detroit? The guy blows, plain and simple.

It's the same show virtually every time I listen. He's angry about something. Calling Tiger Woods "pathetic" was a joke. Yeah, Mikey. The guy is worth half-a-billion, has a smokingly hot girlfriend, lives on the ocean and will go down in history as one of the best golfers ever. He clearly has an issue but lets not give him any sympathy. Valenti is pathetic. Maybe he should make another joke about a dead Detroit Lion retaining water and not making weight after the guy tragically drowned.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:09 am

I agree. I still think his fill-in on WFAN last Christmas (2015) was an on-air audition that fell flat. You're right. He can't cut it anywhere else.

Present company excluded, I think the callers into 97.1 are some of the least-informed callers in the nation. The fact that they build the whole station on callers is a joke.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:57 am

brianp48093 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:10 pm
I don't see MV as bitching, moaning or whining. He sounds frustrated and disgusted with Detroit sports.
Except he constantly reminds us he is NOT a Detroit fan. He is a Giants,Yankees, Celtics fan. Whens the last time you got frustrated and disgusted with some sports team you had no connection to?
I think Mike builds 90% of his show around negativity. Rather than say something nice about team A he will focus on the negatives about team B or C.
It isn't just the negatives either its the degree and relentlessness of it.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

Charlesjones

Post by Charlesjones » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:08 pm

To reply to Andy last couple posts ...with the Tiger Woods comment as pathetic... I am a Tiger Woods fan and feel this is tragic and sad but the images of seeing him in the jail cell and at the roadside stop plus considering his attempts to come back only a couple months ago I don't think pathetic is uncalled for... I believe it is a little harsh but I cannot blame him for using stronger terminology... Stephen A Smith did the same on ESPN.

In reply to Andy comment about Steve Nash earlier in reply to my comments about Steve Nash I read between the lines of Andy's post in which he admits that he could accept Steve Nash as being overrated but disagreed with him using the word garbage, whereas I see that as meaning you agree with his opinion but feel he went too far in describing it on the radio ,my only reply would be to quote the line from Casablanca... I'm shocked shocked to learn that somebody has dared use hyperbole in Drive Time radio

I don't think it is Mike's fault to use the occasional hyperbolic statement when trying to retain listeners in afternoon drive time it's what he is paid to do

In The Bleachers

... And let's not go to the people...

Post by In The Bleachers » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:58 am

Daypart wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:09 am
... Present company excluded, I think the callers into 97.1 are some of the least-informed callers in the nation. The fact that they build the whole station on callers is a joke.
I agree with this.
And many times, those phoning in can often be painful to understand because it's a cell with poor quality audio and/or lackluster coverage. Callers on 97.1 are often a channel changer for me. Me personally, I'd like no callers at all. Very rarely imo does any caller bring something of value into the conversation.

I have a question for Andy, who has an opportunity to sample other markets. Are people calling in a big part of the show, as it is here?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:06 am

I don't care enough to bother but anybody who posts here can sample (most) other markets through internet streaming.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Most stations are not as caller-driven as 97.1. The drawback to that is you tend to get regular callers who get on air over and over again on stations like 670 here in Chicago. Jim Rome has a good philosophy...taking a ton of callers is lazy radio. "Less of you, more of me" is his motto.

I have found Valenti relying more and more on discussions with Sully and Hatchet. They both are mealy mouthed and have annoying pitches to their voices. A little of them goes a long way.

Now, today, Valenti's show is a disaster. He has spent 40 minutes ranting about Wojo's column on MSU that had just posted online an hour prior to his show. Chances are, 90% of the audience hadn't read it. Obviously, he's defending MSU and he is pre-emptively telling the listeners to shut up and that "your program" (I assume Michigan) isn't a saint.

I have never been one to rip on Valenti because he's not a Detroit native. However, today, he said something that rubbed me the wrong way. Segueing into a read for a realtor, he mentioned how he might have to look to sell his home because he "can't stand this city anymore." That's all fine and good. LOts of people don't like Detroit. But don't act like you're gracing the listeners with your presence and that Detroit is beneath you. Obviously, it's not since your WFAN on-air audition flopped.

radiofan

Post by radiofan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 pm

I flipped to Valenti today when a commercial came on to the station I was listening to, just in time to hear Valenti say "I get paid whether you listen to me or not. I don't care, change the station". I agreed with him for once, changed the station and never went back.

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:12 am

Daypart wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:40 pm
Most stations are not as caller-driven as 97.1. The drawback to that is you tend to get regular callers who get on air over and over again on stations like 670 here in Chicago. Jim Rome has a good philosophy...taking a ton of callers is lazy radio. "Less of you, more of me" is his motto.

I have found Valenti relying more and more on discussions with Sully and Hatchet. They both are mealy mouthed and have annoying pitches to their voices. A little of them goes a long way.

Now, today, Valenti's show is a disaster. He has spent 40 minutes ranting about Wojo's column on MSU that had just posted online an hour prior to his show. Chances are, 90% of the audience hadn't read it. Obviously, he's defending MSU and he is pre-emptively telling the listeners to shut up and that "your program" (I assume Michigan) isn't a saint.

I have never been one to rip on Valenti because he's not a Detroit native. However, today, he said something that rubbed me the wrong way. Segueing into a read for a realtor, he mentioned how he might have to look to sell his home because he "can't stand this city anymore." That's all fine and good. LOts of people don't like Detroit. But don't act like you're gracing the listeners with your presence and that Detroit is beneath you. Obviously, it's not since your WFAN on-air audition flopped.
But spitting on Detroit has been Mike Valenti's shtick since he came to the market, and the people that listen to him and call him hate Detroit and their teams even more than they hate Valenti himself, so it works. He has every right to coast on his new contract and spit in his audience's faces. He's getting away with it. Plus, since 97.1 is so caller-driven, he knows he doesn't have to put in much effort into actual sports talk radio.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:06 pm

radiofan wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 pm
I flipped to Valenti today when a commercial came on to the station I was listening to, just in time to hear Valenti say "I get paid whether you listen to me or not. I don't care, change the station". I agreed with him for once, changed the station and never went back.
Great idea, tell people to leave your place of business. He's a moron. I hardly listen to that station at all anymore and if I do, not for more than a few minutes. It's just awful. I like Wojo but can only take so much of his clown act.

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:29 am

They need to get him a co-host. Having his yes-men chime in (Sully and Hatchet) is painful. Hatchet is trying (very obviously) to be Foster, but he's coming across as moronic. Sullivan does not have the intelligence nor the voice to be a host or even be on the air.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:47 am

As I have said before I rarely listen at all except during football season. Once or twice I have tuned in during my 6 minute drive to the dog park. I don't know if I'm imagining it but it almost seems since Terry left Valenti isn't as big an asshole as he used to be. I haven't listened enough to be sure or not. My total listening doesn't add up to 5 minutes a week for that show.

Cilliandrew

Post by Cilliandrew » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:36 am

Daypart wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:29 am
They need to get him a co-host. Having his yes-men chime in (Sully and Hatchet) is painful. Hatchet is trying (very obviously) to be Foster, but he's coming across as moronic. Sullivan does not have the intelligence nor the voice to be a host or even be on the air.
I agree with this. Mike's personality is too strong and he just bulldozes anyone else currently on the mic. He needs a co-host who can provide a strong counterpoint.

Right now they all just sit around and have a good laugh about the latest song put together by Roberto.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:12 pm

I assume this idiot has a degree in broadcasting. And he is reportedly the host of the top show in Detroit. So why the fuck can't he pronounce a word like complimentary? I heard a commercial he was doing for some business and he said they had a "COMP-luh-men-tarry" buffet. Really, Motor Mouth? I'd be pissed if I was the sponsor paying for the spot. Did you take a "PHOTO-graffy" class in college, too, Motor Mouth?

Of course, this is the same jackass who says "DOCK-you-men-tarry" when he means documentary. How do these idiots get away with mispronouncing everyday words? And don't get me start on them all pronouncing versus as "verse" because the abbreviation is vs. Vs. is pronounced VERSUS just like Sept. is pronounced September when you're speaking.

IDIOTS!

blackcowboybrady64

Post by blackcowboybrady64 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:35 am

Valenti,who attended MSU,can't seem to pronounce "these," "them," "those," "the," and other words a high schooler should be able to elocute.Guess ol' Mikey V. wants to play up his Nooo Yawwwwker image,though he seems to accentuate his accent when he's angry,which is about two-thirds of the time.
He should take his act to the Majors (i.e.,New York),and see how it plays.Mikey,I remember Bob Page.I listened to Bob Page.I was a fan of Bob Page.And Mike,you are no Bob Page!!!!!!!

blackcowboybrady64

Post by blackcowboybrady64 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:38 am

Daypart,The Rev. Mr. Hall (Hatchet) is likely to religious to upbraid Valenti,and Sullivan is Valenti's lackey,because tough guy Mikey V. couldn't bully Jim Bentley-who was older than 18,or whatever Sullivan's current age-and left the show.

radiofan

Post by radiofan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Mr Nasty is just not a good listen. You have to enjoy being talked down to, or consider yourself one of the "smart" ones, like him, who's way above all the the other ignoramuses who listen and call in.

Herm

Post by Herm » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:50 pm

Dude's a professional broadcaster that can't pronounce yesterday properly.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:02 am

Herm wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:50 pm
Dude's a professional broadcaster that can't pronounce yesterday properly.
Yes! Another pet peeve of mine when it comes to Motor Mouth. Sometimes he'll slip and pronounce yesterday correctly rather than the "yes-duh-day" like Tony Soprano. Just another example of what a H*** phone this guy is. That's one of the big reasons I can't stand stand to listen for more than a couple minutes. He's not genuine at all.

I might switch over when Howard Stern is doing his stupid wack pack crap but I never last long. In fact, I don't last long with any Ticket shows, even Wojo, who I genuinely like. It's all the same crap they've been doing for 10-15-20 years.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:52 am

Andy Sipowicz wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:02 am
It's all the same crap they've been doing for 10-15-20 years.
Isn't that kind of the nature of the business? You mentioned Howard Stern, whom I've never listened to other than a Youtube snippet or two, but is he not doing the "same crap" he's always done? I'm asking because I don't really know. But doesn't he just "push the envelope" on current pop culture?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic