Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 6-15-2017 at 8:45a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Let's Get it ON!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Let's Get it ON!

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon May 22, 2017 9:02 pm

So, last weekend, I was helping my grandfather and grandmother with spring cleaning, because that's the sort of guy I am... and my grandfather asks me if I wanted to see something cool and interesting. Since we finished all the chores for the day and I had some time to kill, I said "sure, gramps". I was genuinely curious as to what he had in store. We walked into his little repair room and he kneels down and pulls out this cardboard box he had lying under a table. Inside it was a simple brown tin box about the size of a closed fist with a coaxial wire sticking out of it, along with a few papers. He passed both to me and said it was from 1979, and he used it on Channel 20 to watch prime time stuff that was scrambled.

That's right. He kept a defunct ON-TV UHF Subscription Television decoder module his friend built for him, and even made custom instructions for him on his typewriter on how it works and how to use it! I'll be headed back there in a couple days to help him with some yard work, so if you guys want me to take some pictures of the decoder module or scan the instructions on his scanner-printer (or mine), let me know.
~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

audiophile

Re: Let's Get it ON!

Post by audiophile » Mon May 22, 2017 9:25 pm

I just threw out 3 of those modules today...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Mon May 22, 2017 9:25 pm

In my mom's house there's a stereo with an eight track player.

Splouge
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Post by Splouge » Mon May 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Yeah man, post it ON here man. Scan them instructions ON the scanner too!
One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon May 22, 2017 10:30 pm

lol... alright. I'll see what I can do. Just hope grandfather didn't recycle it since.
~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic