Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 7-23-2017 at 8:30p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Power outage hits WJBK Fox 2

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
mtburb

Power outage hits WJBK Fox 2

Post by mtburb » Thu May 18, 2017 9:46 pm

I was watching Fox 2 this morning and noticed something unusual. At first there were no on-screen graphics at all, then after a commercial break during the 10 AM hour the Fox 2 bug finally showed up and that was the only on-screen graphic visible for as long as I continued watching it. Then Ryan Ermanni and that other co-anchor at 11 AM today told viewers that there had been a major power outage in Southfield today and Fox 2 was affected at around 7:23 AM.

Was anyone else watching at around 7:23 AM and observed if they were able to do anything during the outage? Did they end up going off-the-air or did they just switch to alternative programming?

From what I searched today there were surprisingly no stories posted on this on the internet.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

Editorcj

Re: Power outage hits WJBK Fox 2

Post by Editorcj » Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 pm

With JJ at the helm, Fox 2 was able to carry on despite losing all of the newsroom computers with a credible show for over 2 hours. The woman is clearly the most valuable person in TV news in Detroit and deserves a big raise.

NS8401

Re: Power outage hits WJBK Fox 2

Post by NS8401 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 pm
With JJ at the helm, Fox 2 was able to carry on despite losing all of the newsroom computers with a credible show for over 2 hours. The woman is clearly the most valuable person in TV news in Detroit and deserves a big raise.
Or a promotion...

In The Bleachers

Tower cam

Post by In The Bleachers » Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Yeah I was watching when it happened.
They were off the air for I'm guessing 10-15 seconds.
Then they came back on with no lights in the studio. The two anchors had to be seen on the tower cam. Not really sure what it was all about. They would lean into the shot to be seen. It looked like as if you were watching someone accidently showing up on the weather screen. After about 5 minutes the lights came on. And it was business as usual.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic