All new acct registrations in the queue as of 6/16 at 8:10a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

I hate Mitch Albom

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

I hate Mitch Albom

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:00 am

I cannot stand the mop-haired midget called Mitch Albom.

A couple days ago, he wrote arguably the worst sports opinion piece I've read all year. (That is saying something, given how much drivel Chris McCosky wrote earlier this year. Lynn Henning has been on surprisingly good behavior as of late.)

Here is the offending article:
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colum ... 456169001/

...And the Free Press wonders why their online readership numbers are so piss poor???

(They fired their editor in chief this past week over low readership. Perhaps opinion pieces filled with bullshit and publication of articles that use other people's work without proper attribution are partially responsible?)

Mitchie has a history of revising - or at a minimum, distorting - history when it comes to sports figures he likes. This instance is no exception. His romanticism of Brad Ausmus dates back to 2013.

I'm suuuuuuuure Assmusk's appearances during Albom's radiothon have nothing to do with Mitchie-boy's lame, excuse-riddled puff piece that he penned this past week.

BTW, the Tigers sure have been playing great since Mitch wrote his article -- a horrendous 11-2 loss followed by a 4-0 shut out! :rollin

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

Fingerboard Corners

Re: I hate Mitch Albom

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:56 am

Mitch Albom has a Detroit centric and jet setter type ignorance of geography. Has he ever looked at a map? While he lived in South Oakland County, and may still reside except for possibly another residence within Detroit for appearance sake, he made fun of a Detroit sports figure who dined in Holly. "Holly? What was he doing eating in Holly?" Last map I looked at, Holly was in Oakland County, and could be driven from his home then to Holly in about half an hour plus, just like many parts of Detroit Metro, which Holly is considered to be in. Probably hops on a private jet at PTK to get to Mackinac Island and Acme and misses Holly completely. That is telling to me. WJR is one of the few to only radio stations in Detroit that has a good signal well outside Detroit, depending on direction. JP McCarthy had a respect for all of the service area, and the ratings reflected that. Mitch is largely ignorant of it.

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:58 am

What a horrible column. Comparing this Tigers team to the 2004 Astros of Clemens, Pettite, Oswalt and the Killer B's.

Under the watch of Ausmus the Tigers have gone from being the best team in baseball on paper to absolute SHIT. He should have been fired 2 years ago. But since Mr. I became ill and then passed, the Tigers no longer have an owner that cares about baseball and wants a World Series ASAP.

Frodo Albom needs to quit sports for good and stick to his sappy books for old women.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:18 pm

I just got an unbelievable contact high from that...

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:50 pm

I haven't listened to his radio show much since he stopped syndicating it (only WEOL/Elyria remained as an affiliate when the bitter end came). Is he mailing it in ever more than when he was in 2006?

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:30 am

Myron Falwell wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:50 pm
I haven't listened to his radio show much since he stopped syndicating it (only WEOL/Elyria remained as an affiliate when the bitter end came). Is he mailing it in ever more than when he was in 2006?
My suspicion is that he has always mailed it in... I heard a story from somebody at WDIV that had worked with Albom at the Free Press before he was big and he was described as a smug opportunist and a blowhard bullshitter... he supposedly crossed the picket lines in the big Detroit newspapers strike in '95 as well... he lost a lot of respect from the rank and file at the paper went the story...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:14 am

I remember a book critic once reviewing a Mitch book by starting out with the physical dimensions of the book then discribing it as "bigger than a Hallmark Card but smaller than a novel" :rollin

I liked the guy years ago but haven't read his columns or listened to his show in 10 plus years.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:25 pm

Mitch who.....?

I think he's still a legend in his own mind..... but not much of anywhere else.

And on a different matter....i finally looked-up craig11152's sigline:
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.
Nice reference.... lol :)

Image>>RayQix<<Image

Claymed

Post by Claymed » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Albom is just mailing it in. There hasn't been an original thought that he hasn't stolen in years.

jry

Post by jry » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:57 pm

Well, hate is a pretty harsh term.... He does a lot of good for many people.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:01 pm

I worked with Mitch twice over the years. While we may not agree on some issues, I have never found Mitch to be anything less than a nice guy. As far as I know, he still lives not too far from me. We would occasionally run into him at Hogan's on Telegraph, when they were still around. His only "second home" that I am aware of is in L.A. I am fairly certain that's for business, and not for "keeping up appearances" or whatever. I can only speculate that he has very little time to explore outstate Michigan, like many of us do, as he is always on the go. In any event, yes, Mitch has his faults, but he's not the pretentious elitist many of you make him out to be. Frankly, I am surprised Mitch and his entourage survived the Lew Dickey era at WJR. He must be made of Teflon.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:01 pm
I worked with Mitch twice over the years. While we may not agree on some issues, I have never found Mitch to be anything less than a nice guy. As far as I know, he still lives not too far from me. We would occasionally run into him at Hogan's on Telegraph, when they were still around. His only "second home" that I am aware of is in L.A. I am fairly certain that's for business, and not for "keeping up appearances" or whatever. I can only speculate that he has very little time to explore outstate Michigan, like many of us do, as he is always on the go. In any event, yes, Mitch has his faults, but he's not the pretentious elitist many of you make him out to be. Frankly, I am surprised Mitch and his entourage survived the Lew Dickey era at WJR. He must be made of Teflon.
The Wikipedia article says he lives in Detroit. I was surprised too. I don't have strong negative feelings toward him personally, but I thought JP was better at relating to people around here, within 100-200 miles of WJR, and not the coastal types, though JP was well known in CA from his days at KGO.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:09 pm

Jry - you make a perfectly valid point.

I don't really hate the guy at all; have never met him. However, I do find many of his sports columns to be suitable for little more than bird cage liner.

His employer shouldn't allow him to write opinion pieces regarding individuals or organizations with whom a conflict of interest exists. (At minimum, such conflicts should be disclosed.)

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:50 am

Always beware of self-styled do-gooders who extend charity only if they can use it to become famous. Or wealthy. Or both.

Mitch and Oprah are both examples of glory hog givers. Embarrassing.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:00 am

screen glare wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:50 am
Always beware of self-styled do-gooders who extend charity only if they can use it to become famous. Or wealthy. Or both.
Mitch and Oprah are both examples of glory hog givers. Embarrassing.
I don't overly dislike "glory hog givers" because if you are a person in need and you get help for your need it hardly matters what ulterior motive the giver has. But I suppose if you care enough to have a list go ahead and add Ellen DeGeneres to your list. And in fairness to Mitch, who I don't actually care for, I think he works hard to raise money for his pet causes which might put him in the glory hog cross-hairs for some people.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:05 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:01 pm
Nice to hear from someone with personal experience. I wish you told me he was an asshole but I can live with the truth. :blink

I once met Chuck Gaidica in a parking lot on the way in to a wedding reception. I told a bad weather joke he probably heard a thousand times but he politely laughed like it was funny. :D

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:53 am

I don't hate Mitchie, but only his poor judgment about Assmuster leading the Tigers down the wrong path about 28 too many times a year - Assmuss killed Mr. I. Three Cy Young Winners and couldn't stay in first place, so the GM blew-up the team, giving away the best outfielder mid-season to the Mets, and dumping pitchers into the market so when he 'quit' or got 'fired' he could go the Red Sox and suck-up all the Tigers he could. Sad, that was a blown opportunity in 2015, IMO. If we kept that staff with Price and Cedpedes (and a healthy Miggy), the ring should have been within reach.

jry

Post by jry » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 pm

[quote=MWmetalhead post_id=557493 time=1499728157 user_id=2]
Jry - you make a perfectly valid point.

I don't really hate the guy at all; have never met him. However, I do find many of his sports columns to be suitable for little more than bird cage liner.

His employer shouldn't allow him to write opinion pieces regarding individuals or organizations with whom a conflict of interest exists. (At minimum, such conflicts should be disclosed.)
[/quote]
Yeah, i do agree with you about some of his opinions. WJR should use a disclaimer before and after the show.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic