Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Hey WRIF: your audio chain sounds like HORSESHIT!!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
audiophile

Re: Hey WRIF: your audio chain sounds like HORSESHIT!!!

Post by audiophile » Sat May 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Trying to be loud with rock music just makes it sound like mush. The rock music is already loud, you don't want to use much multiband processing...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat May 27, 2017 2:39 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 1:39 pm
Trying to be loud with rock music just makes it sound like mush. The rock music is already loud, you don't want to use much multiband processing...
That's only true if you don't know what you're doing. Ridiculous statements like that are precisely why the audio processing was secured in the racks, behind smoked glass, with a lock on it, at most of the stations where I worked. Go into any station where Gary Bezerkowitz or Guy Zapoleon is consulting. I can guarantee, you won't have a nervous, sweaty palm engineer touching the audio chain.
"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat May 27, 2017 5:44 pm

I might not have explained it in detail, but I can assure you I know what I'm doing...

I referring to multi-band drive, and using fast attack and release within those bands. Less drive and slower attack and release will add punch.

Everyone is complaining about the lack of punch here, so we're talking trade-offs, between punch and loudness. You can't have both - you have to give up some loudness to achieve punch.

A user's volume control can fix loudness, but once the audio is made lifeless, just to be loud, no one can fix that...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 27, 2017 10:11 pm

I agree - they need to decrease the loudness a bit to increase punch.

Another big issue with WRIF's chain I haven't even mentioned yet - PITCH.

The pitch they are using is too aggressive; the music is too fast. I suspect this, too, affects overall sound quality. The pitch was noticeably less aggressive 7 - 10 days ago.

Overall, their chain sounds dreadful again. Their dopey PD probably tinkered with the settings after their engineer fixed everything.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:09 am

I simply don't like the watery-digital sounding artifacts coming from their (obviously) digital processor. Analog sig, should use an analog processor.

And while we're on the subject, why are they using ANY processing at ALL on the HD feeds? I've noticed most stations do this and it makes no sense at all, other than to make the audio sound even worse than it does natively...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:26 pm

I don't know of any processors producing watery artifacts - that's usually the source material or possibly a IP STL.

I believe the HD and analog should processed the almost same, except you don't want the pre-emphasis/deemphasis. Otherwise the blending feature will sound bad.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Personally I'd rather deal with the blending difference than all of the audio compression (not digital compression) that goes on.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Maybe my hearing is getting bad but on all of the Beasley stations I hear the same effects. If you listen to a guitar ring out you can almost hear a digitized "bell" sounding artifact.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Could be a compressed STL.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:08 pm

WRIF is the worst of the three. WCSX is a bit better. WMGC is much better.

Even with WRIF being the worst of the three, their audio doesn't sound quite as poor as it sounded last spring. They removed some of the pitching and improved the bass response somewhat (bass still lacks proper punch but at least it's present).
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:31 am

audiophile wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:35 pm
Could be a compressed STL.
Is the studio for WRIF no longer within stones throw to the tower? Would they still use an STL in that case?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:24 am

WRIF is still at WXYZ -TV tower...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Listening to The Riff today, the audio sounded pretty good. It didn't sound phenomenal by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly didn't sound bad, either.

Back in April/May, the audio sounded so rotten that I couldn't stand listening to the station for more than 10 minutes. This is no longer the case.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic