Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 6-15-2017 at 8:45a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Hey WRIF: your audio chain sounds like HORSESHIT!!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
audiophile

Re: Hey WRIF: your audio chain sounds like HORSESHIT!!!

Post by audiophile » Sat May 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Trying to be loud with rock music just makes it sound like mush. The rock music is already loud, you don't want to use much multiband processing...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat May 27, 2017 2:39 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 1:39 pm
Trying to be loud with rock music just makes it sound like mush. The rock music is already loud, you don't want to use much multiband processing...
That's only true if you don't know what you're doing. Ridiculous statements like that are precisely why the audio processing was secured in the racks, behind smoked glass, with a lock on it, at most of the stations where I worked. Go into any station where Gary Bezerkowitz or Guy Zapoleon is consulting. I can guarantee, you won't have a nervous, sweaty palm engineer touching the audio chain.
"Mares eat oats, and does eat oats, and I'll be home for christmas"

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat May 27, 2017 5:44 pm

I might not have explained it in detail, but I can assure you I know what I'm doing...

I referring to multi-band drive, and using fast attack and release within those bands. Less drive and slower attack and release will add punch.

Everyone is complaining about the lack of punch here, so we're talking trade-offs, between punch and loudness. You can't have both - you have to give up some loudness to achieve punch.

A user's volume control can fix loudness, but once the audio is made lifeless, just to be loud, no one can fix that...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 27, 2017 10:11 pm

I agree - they need to decrease the loudness a bit to increase punch.

Another big issue with WRIF's chain I haven't even mentioned yet - PITCH.

The pitch they are using is too aggressive; the music is too fast. I suspect this, too, affects overall sound quality. The pitch was noticeably less aggressive 7 - 10 days ago.

Overall, their chain sounds dreadful again. Their dopey PD probably tinkered with the settings after their engineer fixed everything.
Donald Trump is a scum bag.

Need proof? http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/432010/trump-university-scam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic