Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 6-15-2017 at 8:45a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WADL 38.6

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
User avatar
Steve79
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:29 pm

WADL 38.6

Post by Steve79 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 pm

There is a new sub channel on WADL at 38.6 called justice. Right now I'm watching lockdown. Not sure how long this is been on but I just happen to catch it today for the first time.

User avatar
RingtailedFox
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by RingtailedFox » Wed May 03, 2017 9:33 pm

38.5 and 38.6 were not there when I checked yesterday... they must have been added today :D
~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 am

RingtailedFox wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 9:33 pm
38.5 and 38.6 were not there when I checked yesterday... they must have been added today :D
Interesting. Wonder if I'll ever see this one down here anytime soon, I"m sure not, but maybe when ATSC 3.0 gets up and running, maybe.

User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by SolarMax » Thu May 04, 2017 8:22 am

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 am
Interesting. Wonder if I'll ever see this one down here anytime soon, I"m sure not, but maybe when ATSC 3.0 gets up and running, maybe.
I don't think ATSC 3.0 is going to have much bearing on your reception of a WADL signal. The station is much further north and east than other Detroit market sites, and, at least in my case, it's pretty spotty on the west side of Detroit, even with an outdoor antenna. I don't recall what their channel and power level status will be post-repack.

SixPlusOne
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:03 am

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 am

Steve79 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 pm
There is a new sub channel on WADL at 38.6 called justice. Right now I'm watching lockdown. Not sure how long this is been on but I just happen to catch it today for the first time.
I am kind of surprised that they keep adding channels and new programming since they want to sell off their freqencies to the FCC.

User avatar
Splouge
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by Splouge » Thu May 04, 2017 11:17 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 am
Steve79 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 pm
There is a new sub channel on WADL at 38.6 called justice. Right now I'm watching lockdown. Not sure how long this is been on but I just happen to catch it today for the first time.
I am kind of surprised that they keep adding channels and new programming since they want to sell off their freqencies to the FCC.
They decided not to
One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

jry
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:14 am
Location: somewhere in the former boonies

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by jry » Thu May 04, 2017 1:37 pm

[quote=Steve79 post_id=553586 time=1493852723 user_id=65]
There is a new sub channel on WADL at 38.6 called justice. Right now I'm watching lockdown. Not sure how long this is been on but I just happen to catch it today for the first time.
[/quote]

I didn't know that you could get that many sub channels out of a station. Wow.

User avatar
Splouge
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by Splouge » Thu May 04, 2017 2:47 pm

jry wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:37 pm
Steve79 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 pm
There is a new sub channel on WADL at 38.6 called justice. Right now I'm watching lockdown. Not sure how long this is been on but I just happen to catch it today for the first time.
I didn't know that you could get that many sub channels out of a station. Wow.
And with 38.1 in 1080i!
One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by mtburb » Thu May 04, 2017 7:23 pm

Splouge wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 2:47 pm
jry wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:37 pm
Steve79 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 pm
There is a new sub channel on WADL at 38.6 called justice. Right now I'm watching lockdown. Not sure how long this is been on but I just happen to catch it today for the first time.
I didn't know that you could get that many sub channels out of a station. Wow.
And with 38.1 in 1080i!
...exactly like how Ion's many O&Os including WPXD do their subchannels.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu May 04, 2017 7:40 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 8:22 am
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 am
Interesting. Wonder if I'll ever see this one down here anytime soon, I"m sure not, but maybe when ATSC 3.0 gets up and running, maybe.
I don't think ATSC 3.0 is going to have much bearing on your reception of a WADL signal. The station is much further north and east than other Detroit market sites, and, at least in my case, it's pretty spotty on the west side of Detroit, even with an outdoor antenna. I don't recall what their channel and power level status will be post-repack.
I'm thinking more of it allowing a station down here in Toledo to add in more subchannels if possible, since that would be the only way to get in one like Justice if ever.

User avatar
Splouge
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by Splouge » Thu May 04, 2017 8:10 pm

mtburb wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 7:23 pm
Splouge wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 2:47 pm
jry wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:37 pm
Steve79 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 pm
There is a new sub channel on WADL at 38.6 called justice. Right now I'm watching lockdown. Not sure how long this is been on but I just happen to catch it today for the first time.
I didn't know that you could get that many sub channels out of a station. Wow.
And with 38.1 in 1080i!
...exactly like how Ion's many O&Os including WPXD do their subchannels.
WPXD 31.1 is 720p
One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by SolarMax » Thu May 04, 2017 8:14 pm

jry wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:37 pm
I didn't know that you could get that many sub channels out of a station. Wow.
KXLA 44 (RF 51) in Los Angeles has 12 streams going. Could be one, somewhere, with more.

User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by SolarMax » Thu May 04, 2017 8:21 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 7:40 pm
I'm thinking more of it allowing a station down here in Toledo to add in more subchannels if possible, since that would be the only way to get in one like Justice if ever.
I misinterpreted your meaning there.
A Toledo station could add another stream if they we're so inclined. No technical restriction preventing this, just willingness to spend a few bucks if there was a possibility of return on the investment.

User avatar
WOHO
Posts: 1010
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:05 am
Location: Mourning the assasination of 1470 KHz by Cumulus

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by WOHO » Fri May 05, 2017 8:27 am

I'm wondering if they added audio-only subchannels, how much bandwidth that would eat up? My TV actually had a mode to switch off the video for such a use, as a 42" radio. It would make sense to me for PBS to add a small .4 or whatever with their local NPR station, and an all-classical audio feed. In addition, PBS used to be very vision-impaired friendly with reading for the blind services, and that would be a good use of a subchannel as well, IMO.

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri May 05, 2017 8:30 pm

WOHO wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 8:27 am
I'm wondering if they added audio-only subchannels, how much bandwidth that would eat up? My TV actually had a mode to switch off the video for such a use, as a 42" radio. It would make sense to me for PBS to add a small .4 or whatever with their local NPR station, and an all-classical audio feed. In addition, PBS used to be very vision-impaired friendly with reading for the blind services, and that would be a good use of a subchannel as well, IMO.
Would be nice if that was offered. I think WGTE did something like that back in the 80's with their SAP audio channel. I recall they used to do the NewsHour translated to Spanish that way.

User avatar
RingtailedFox
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by RingtailedFox » Fri May 05, 2017 11:00 pm

audio-only subchannels are roughly 200 kbps for FM-quality... maybe 384 kbps for CD-quality... so, no.. they don't take up much bandwidth.
~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Inundated
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Re: RE: Re: WADL 38.6

Post by Inundated » Sun May 07, 2017 9:24 am

WOHO wrote:I'm wondering if they added audio-only subchannels, how much bandwidth that would eat up? My TV actually had a mode to switch off the video for such a use, as a 42" radio. It would make sense to me for PBS to add a small .4 or whatever with their local NPR station, and an all-classical audio feed. In addition, PBS used to be very vision-impaired friendly with reading for the blind services, and that would be a good use of a subchannel as well, IMO.
WVIZ in Cleveland has the local radio reading service on 25.9 (separate from the video subs which go up to 25.4). It used to be on SAP.

Oddly enough, some tuners don't bring in 25.9 at all. My Zenith box does, and there is a floating "AUDIO ONLY" box put on the screen by the tuner itself...

SixPlusOne
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:03 am

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by SixPlusOne » Sun May 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 7:40 pm
since that would be the only way to get in one like Justice if ever.
The Justice Channel was available on the Dish Network before WADL even added it.

Inundated
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Re: RE: Re: WADL 38.6

Post by Inundated » Thu May 18, 2017 10:50 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 7:40 pm
since that would be the only way to get in one like Justice if ever.
The Justice Channel was available on the Dish Network before WADL even added it.
Very few subchannels have any satellite carriage. I had no idea that Justice was on Dish.

Then again, many of the subchannels air recycled cable programming..

User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: WADL 38.6

Post by mtburb » Fri May 19, 2017 7:19 pm

Tonight I happened to stumble upon another new addition: an audio simulcast of WFDF 910 Superstation on 38.7. Anyone else notice this too?
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests