Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 9-17-2017 at 1:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

CKLW transmitter issues

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Fingerboard Corners

Re: CKLW transmitter issues

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Mon May 08, 2017 6:27 pm

The first few seasons of "The Big Bang Theory" explored some of the problems that Geniuses like Leonard Kahn, and the character Leonard Hofstadter, have in relating to other people further up the probability curve of intelligence toward average. Combine that with some of the stubbornness and cantankerousness that most people get to one degree or another when they get older, and it may explain why Mr. Kahn cut you off, jry. I wouldn't take it personally. Without people like the real Leonard, and like the character Leonard, we'd still be in the Stone Age.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed May 10, 2017 11:15 am

I corresponded by snail mail with Leonard, but he was so convinced on his system that he would rather destroy what hope any other system had going. I did join forces with him to have the FCC have a panel review all options for AM improvement whether that was digital, hybrid, half-digital, analog stereo, noise blanking systems, but to review them all instead of showing IBOC. He was right about that. His CAM-D was a valid idea, but again, he priced himself out of the market. Likewise, his royalties on chipsets. When WSPD had Kahn, their biggest beef was not being able to use standard test equipment, but had to use expensive Kahn hardware to tune the directional array at night. Leonard actually got interviewed on WSPD when they flipped to Kahn, but I'm sure he had other words when they pulled all his stuff out and installed a nice-sounding CQUAM system along with Greg Buchwald of Motorola. Leonard is almost on par with Tesla- brilliant mind, but needed a 'handler' to do all of his public interaction so as not to upset his customers and the FCC.

jry

Post by jry » Wed May 10, 2017 1:21 pm

[quote="Fingerboard Corners" post_id=553883 time=1494282429 user_id=7180]
The first few seasons of "The Big Bang Theory" explored some of the problems that Geniuses like Leonard Kahn, and the character Leonard Hofstadter, have in relating to other people further up the probability curve of intelligence toward average. Combine that with some of the stubbornness and cantankerousness that most people get to one degree or another when they get older, and it may explain why Mr. Kahn cut you off, jry. I wouldn't take it personally. Without people like the real Leonard, and like the character Leonard, we'd still be in the Stone Age.
[/quote]

I never took it personally. He had lost his wife and i knew that this had a lot to do with it.

From experience. His PowerSide and Clear ROCKED. I am certain that his Cam-D was superior and compatible. I'll never know, because i wouldn't foot the 25K upgrade to my PowerSides as no one could receive it. He was the classic "cut your nose off......" kind of guy.

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Wed May 10, 2017 3:37 pm

As far as I can tell, CKLW is still operating at reduced power. Anyone see any details as to exactly what was damaged?

If you look at the NAB Engineering Handbook from 1960, you'll find an article by Mr. Kahn about Full Carrier Compatible Single Sideband, the first half of the Kahn AM Stereo system. In it, Mr. Kahn reveals in a way what he later called "the secret" of why the Motorola chip could decode the Kahn system if a Motorola pilot tone is added. Motorola acted to forbid that technique from being used.

The thing I disagreed with Mr. Kahn is his contention that Motorola C-Quam AM Stereo sounded terrible, and that just wasn't true. Old High Q directional antenna systems didn't sound as good with Motorola as Low Q nondirectional antennas. WSAM was one of the best sounding AM Stereo stations I heard, within a few miles of the transmitter. CKLW also sounded great, due to a rework of the DA. If you notice, Mr. Kahn signed up stations that would have sounded good regardless of the system used at first. And low frequency stations like WSM 650 sounded better due to slower fading.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:36 pm

I worked at WSAM during the AM Stereo days. It DID sound great.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri May 12, 2017 1:35 pm

I've got some cassette recordings of the Grand Ole Opry in stereo over WSM in 1998- and wow- did it sound great on my Sony stereo radio pumped into the home stereo. Skywave, and it didn't warble either. The 3rd gen AMS chips even had an FM-stereo-type blend to mono as well as noise blanker

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Sat May 20, 2017 5:41 pm

CKLW seems to be operating at 50,000 watts again. Not sure when they resumed, becasue I had stopped checking.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat May 20, 2017 6:15 pm

I should have took A field intensity measurement when they were on low.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Sat May 20, 2017 8:21 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 6:15 pm
I should have took A field intensity measurement when they were on low.
I did measure it when I had the two FI meters on loan. WJR was 20 mV/m, and CKLW was 18 mV/m Day and 23 mV/m Night. The PL-390 varies by 1-2 dB, probably due to both fading and AGC variation. I'll have to take a minimum and a maximum and average the two. But I've seen fading at fairly short distances on the FI meter also, particularly near the top of the band in an area of bad conductivity, since the skywave is a greater percentage of the groundwave in those situations, and it's quite noticeable. Thought a tube in the FI meter was going bad and varying in gain when I first saw it. The variation between the CKLW Day and Night patterns would be about 2 dB. WJR would be about 1 dB in between.

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Sat May 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Anybody notice what day they went back to 50 kW?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Here in London ON, about 100 miles east, I get a better signal from CKWW.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic