All new acct registrations in the queue as of 6/16 at 8:10a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WWJ's Tony Ortiz is a moron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
BIGEIGHT

Re: WWJ's Tony Ortiz is a moron

Post by BIGEIGHT » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Tony is not a former NFL'er. If I remember correctly, he came out of the Houston market. I believe he started weekends at WWJ in the 1990s, briefly left the market (?), and has been a standby since the WXYT format change in 2000.

Tony is correct - this is a tragedy. Most folks don't understand what "tragedy" or "tragic" means, and audiences have become conditioned to believe four children dead in a housefire is a tragedy; it's not. Aaron Hernandez, OJ Simpson, those are tragedies. One of my pet peeves with copy today.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:15 pm

BIGEIGHT wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 pm
Tony is correct - this is a tragedy. Most folks don't understand what "tragedy" or "tragic" means, and audiences have become conditioned to believe four children dead in a housefire is a tragedy; it's not. Aaron Hernandez, OJ Simpson, those are tragedies.
Huh? What is your definition of tragedy?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:20 pm

BIGEIGHT wrote:
Tony is not a former NFL'er. If I remember correctly, he came out of the Houston market. I believe he started weekends at WWJ in the 1990s,
Tony actually started as an intern at WXYT back in the mid 80's, straight out of Specs. If I remember correctly he acted as a producer for the Denny McClain show among other things back then.

~The people that predicted new technology would make us a paperless society evidently never tried to wipe their butt with an iPhone"~

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:40 pm

BIGEIGHT wrote:
Tony is not a former NFL'er. If I remember correctly, he came out of the Houston market. I believe he started weekends at WWJ in the 1990s, briefly left the market (?), and has been a standby since the WXYT format change in 2000.

Tony is correct - this is a tragedy. Most folks don't understand what "tragedy" or "tragic" means, and audiences have become conditioned to believe four children dead in a housefire is a tragedy; it's not. Aaron Hernandez, OJ Simpson, those are tragedies. One of my pet peeves with copy today.
trag·e·dy
ˈtrajədē/
noun
an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.
"a tragedy that killed 95 people"
synonyms: disaster, calamity, catastrophe, cataclysm, misfortune, mishap, blow, trial, tribulation, affliction, adversity
"the flood was the worst tragedy in the city's history"

A house fire killing 4 children is most definitely a tragedy...

trag·ic
ˈtrajik/
adjective
causing or characterized by extreme distress or sorrow.
"the shooting was a tragic accident"
synonyms: disastrous, calamitous, catastrophic, cataclysmic, devastating, terrible, dreadful, awful, appalling, dismal, horrendous; More

It's also tragic...

Not sure what you think a tragedy is... maybe this?:
a play dealing with tragic events and having an unhappy ending, especially one concerning the downfall of the main character.
synonyms: disaster, calamity, catastrophe, cataclysm, misfortune, mishap, blow, trial, tribulation, affliction, adversity

The dictionary is a big friendly book... use it next time.

BIGEIGHT

Post by BIGEIGHT » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:24 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:40 pm

a play dealing with tragic events and having an unhappy ending, especially one concerning the downfall of the main character.

Yes, the dictionary is a big friendly book, and if you read it close enough you can understand word history and why tragedy is taken from the Greek for "goat song."

... Try it next time.

You might learn that tragedy originates from the second definition you cite, a sort of teaching moment out of catastrophe, but now people think some moron plugging too many Christmas lights into an outlet and killing his children in a house fire is a tragedy, like the first definition, much more recent and much more vapid.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

BIGEIGHT wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:24 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Yes, the dictionary is a big friendly book, and if you read it close enough you can understand word history and why tragedy is taken from the Greek for "goat song."

... Try it next time.

You might learn that tragedy originates from the second definition you cite, a sort of teaching moment out of catastrophe, but now people think some moron plugging too many Christmas lights into an outlet and killing his children in a house fire is a tragedy, like the first definition, much more recent and much more vapid.
So Language isn't supposed to or allowed to evolve? How narrow minded of you...

format this

Post by format this » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:34 pm

NS8401 wrote:
BIGEIGHT wrote:

trag·e·dy
ˈtrajədē/
noun
an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe.

trag·ic
ˈtrajik/
adjective
synonyms: disastrous, calamitous, catastrophic, cataclysmic, devastating, terrible, dreadful, awful, appalling, dismal, horrendous; More

It's also tragic...

And all along I thought it was a Bee Gees song...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:33 pm

format this wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:34 pm
NS8401 wrote:
BIGEIGHT wrote:

trag·e·dy
ˈtrajədē/
noun

trag·ic
ˈtrajik/
adjective

It's also tragic...

And all along I thought it was a Bee Gees song...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:rollin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic