All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Furthest points Detroit stations were historically carried

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Splouge
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Furthest points Detroit stations were historically carried

Post by Splouge » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:54 pm

I'd like to know the furthest south, north, west, and east points where Detroit stations were carried. No stations are disqualified, not even WTVS, which I know is carried in Vancouver.

One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

ftballfan

Re: Furthest points Detroit stations were historically carried

Post by ftballfan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:26 pm

WKBD was carried on probably 80+% of Michigan cable systems in the 1980s (before Fox and cable networks; exceptions being mostly west of US 131).
According to the FCC Cable Search, WKBD was carried as far away as the following:
Indiana: Angola, Auburn
Ohio: Defiance, Findlay, Lima, Lorain, Sandusky, Tiffin
Wisconsin: Ashland, Hurley, Marinette
'KBD still had carriage as far away as Grand Rapids (until WXSP picked up UPN) and the Tri-Cities as a UPN affiliate.

Detroit's historical Big Three (WDIV, WJBK, WXYZ) had carriage in Flint, Jackson, Lansing, and Toledo. WTVS was on cable in Battle Creek.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:55 pm

Looking at the Lorain, Ohio community registration form on the FCC cable site, CBET was once carried there as well, as was...of all stations...WCIU Chicago!

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

Splouge
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Post by Splouge » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Apparently WDIV was formerly carried in Newfoundland, Bermuda, Mexico, and even Ireland!

One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:14 pm

mtburb wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:55 pm
Looking at the Lorain, Ohio community registration form on the FCC cable site, CBET was once carried there as well, as was...of all stations...WCIU Chicago!
Out of curiosity, how far was CBET carried on cable. Also, on the topic of Chicago, how far was WGN's cable coverage in Michigan before they went to satellite? (In the late-1970s, the Grand Rapids edition of TV Guide had listings for WKBD and CBET, as well as WGN and WSNS from Chicago (in WSNS's case, likely due to the White Socks and the Bulls).)

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:04 pm

It's been a long time since either CBET or the Detroit stations made it to Lorain.

Just to the west, Buckeye Cablevision still carries CBET and most Detroit stations on its Sandusky/Erie County system.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Inundated wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:04 pm
Just to the west, Buckeye Cablevision still carries CBET and most Detroit stations on its Sandusky/Erie County system.
Where did you get that from? According to this link, only CBET is carried in Sandusky.

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:19 pm

mtburb wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:31 pm
Inundated wrote:
Where did you get that from? According to this link, only CBET is carried in Sandusky.
Pulled up Cable Search for Sandusky, and it looks like only CBET, WKBD, and WTVS were ever carried from Detroit in Sandusky. However, Port Clinton (across Sandusky Bay) had WGPR (!!!) and WJBK at one point alongside CBET and WKBD, but no WTVS.

Inundated

Re: RE: Re: Furthest points Detroit stations were historically carried

Post by Inundated » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 pm

ftballfan wrote:
mtburb wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:31 pm
Inundated wrote:
Pulled up Cable Search for Sandusky, and it looks like only CBET, WKBD, and WTVS were ever carried from Detroit in Sandusky. However, Port Clinton (across Sandusky Bay) had WGPR (!!!) and WJBK at one point alongside CBET and WKBD, but no WTVS.
I guess that WKBD and WTVS went away at some point (fairly recently) in Erie County, though CBET is definitely still there:

https://www.buckeyebroadband.com/media/ ... eup_13.pdf

Port Clinton's Time Warner Cable system had CBET until about 5 years ago.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:16 pm

As of 2010 When I went there CBET was available in Houghton MI 100 miles from Marquette.

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:48 am

WDIV, WXYZ and WKBD were all carried up to Huron County well into the 90s.

billmich

Post by billmich » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:03 am

In the late 80's WJBK (as a CBS affiliate) was carried in Winnipeg

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Pulled up Port Clinton's lineup for TWC and they still have CBET

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:10 pm

The Big Four used to show up on random remote town cable systems (especially in the UP and the Alpena market). Mio had WDIV until fairly recently alongside WPBN. Northside Cable in Iron Mountain still has WDIV, WXYZ, and WWJ (likely off Cancom) to this day (http://www.upnorthcable.com/channels.html)
According to Zap2it/Screener, the following Cable America systems still carry Detroit stations:
Eagle Harbor: http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings ... Id=MI57842:-
Grand Marais: http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings ... Id=MI54883:-
Republic: http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings ... Id=MI55278:-
Shingleton: http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings ... Id=MI58058:-

Inundated

Re: RE: Re: Furthest points Detroit stations were historically carried

Post by Inundated » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:11 am

ftballfan wrote:Pulled up Port Clinton's lineup for TWC and they still have CBET
That's the only Time Warner(/Spectrum) system in Northwest Ohio that still carries CBET.

It used to be more widespread until TWC pruned nearly all of the distant stations a few years ago. WBNS in Columbus lost some carriage at the same time.

And up in the far northeast corner of the Cleveland market, PBS affiliate WQLN in Erie PA was displaced by TBN's WDLI Canton OH. (WQLN later resurfaced as a digital-only cable channel there.)

schmave

Post by schmave » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:51 pm

I think WBNS and CBET both were pulled from Findlay around 2009. I know a few people who live in the Findlay area and were pretty unhappy at the time. Somehow, WBNS continues to survive on Spectrum and other systems farther to the south, from Lima almost all the way to Dayton even though those counties along 75 are firmly in the Dayton DMA.
I don't know exactly when WKBD was taken off in Findlay. For all I know, it could have been years earlier when they lost the Detroit teams' OTA games.

The Constant Browser

Post by The Constant Browser » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:37 pm

Cancom (now Shaw Broadcast) carried WJBK, WDIV, WXYZ and WTVS across Canada for a while. I remember WTVS asking viewers across Canada during their pledge drives to support WTVS. My sister went to Bermuda on her honeymoon, and said they had Detroit stations there. Cancom also made a deal to make the Detroit stations available to northern Alaska cable systems.

For more background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaw_Broadcast_Services

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:57 pm

Florence, WI also had WKBD (and WWTV/WWUP!!)

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:30 pm

The Constant Browser wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:37 pm
Cancom also made a deal to make the Detroit stations available to northern Alaska cable systems.
Which meant outside of the cities, prime time in Alaska ran from 4PM to 7PM. Some systems opted to carry stations from Denver instead, which is two hours earlier than Detroit.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Splouge wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:58 pm
Apparently WDIV was formerly carried in Newfoundland, Bermuda, Mexico, and even Ireland!
I know Winnipeg had it on their cable dial.
The Constant Browser wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:37 pm
Cancom (now Shaw Broadcast) carried WJBK, WDIV, WXYZ and WTVS across Canada for a while. I remember WTVS asking viewers across Canada during their pledge drives to support WTVS. My sister went to Bermuda on her honeymoon, and said they had Detroit stations there. Cancom also made a deal to make the Detroit stations available to northern Alaska cable systems.

For more background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaw_Broadcast_Services
When the Fox/CBS switcheroo occurred, it gave Canadians a glimpse of what Toledo was like via WTOL being carried for a bit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic