Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CNN Sues Trump and Aids For Doctoring Video and Barring Jim Acosta

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
screen glare

CNN Sues Trump and Aids For Doctoring Video and Barring Jim Acosta

Post by screen glare » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Now you know there’s no way CNN would spend a dime on a lawsuit like this unless it also figured - besides justice - it would also get terrific publicity - endearing itself to the majority of viewers - and more importantly potential viewers. Because priority one is increasing audience size to make more money.

And if other news outlets publically support this action by CNN - it will only be after deciding that to do so will help them with their bottom line.

Trump is the supreme Putin-bot. Attack, attack, attack the press. Blame the press. Make the press disappear - except for the state propaganda snakes - who pose as reporters - never
speaking truth to power.

zzand

Re: CNN Sues Trump and Aids For Doctoring Video and Barring Jim Acosta

Post by zzand » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:27 pm

This suit has no merit. CNN has not been barred from the White House, only one reporter. They are free to name any other reporter to cover the beat. Having a White House Press Pass is not a right. It is something that can be pulled for whatever reason by the body granting it. Not defending the action, just pointing out the obvious, there is no First Amendment violation or any other violation here so a baseless legal action. I say go for it, CNN must have money to burn. As for the actions of the reporter against the intern running the mic, there may be an actionable cause there, should she choose to proceed with it.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:37 pm

zzand wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:27 pm
This suit has no merit. CNN has not been barred from the White House, only one reporter. They are free to name any other reporter to cover the beat. Having a White House Press Pass is not a right. It is something that can be pulled for whatever reason by the body granting it. Not defending the action, just pointing out the obvious, there is no First Amendment violation or any other violation here so a baseless legal action. I say go for it, CNN must have money to burn. As for the actions of the reporter against the intern running the mic, there may be an actionable cause there, should she choose to proceed with it.
I'd be willing to bet the intern gets more roughed up riding the Metro to and from work everyday than she did by the notorious pugilist, that mean old Mr. Acosta. That said I hope she does try and sue him. It should do wonders for her emerging career to be "the one that litigates over nothing". Great for the resume. I'm sure future employers will take note...

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:50 pm

The White House absolutely made the right decision revoking Jim Acosta's press pass. His behavior from start to finish was out of line. The very first words out of his mouth were " I wanted to challenge you on one of the statements that you made..." and then it went downhill from there. Press conferences are supposed to be a place where reporters ask questions, the President gives answers, and the viewers at home reach conclusions. They are NOT a place for a reporter to hijack the microphone and engage the President in a political debate.

Jim Acosta is just one of many reasons CNN is and continues to be an absolute joke and an embarrassment to journalism.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:53 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:50 pm
The White House absolutely made the right decision revoking Jim Acosta's press pass. His behavior from start to finish was out of line. The very first words out of his mouth were " I wanted to challenge you on one of the statements that you made..." and then it went downhill from there. Press conferences are supposed to be a place where reporters ask questions, the President gives answers, and the viewers at home reach conclusions. They are NOT a place for a reporter to hijack the microphone and engage the President in a political debate.

Jim Acosta is just one of many reasons CNN is and continues to be an absolute joke and an embarrassment to journalism.
Trump also couldn’t take the questions like a man but we’ll ignore that part of the press conference and his time out on the driveway a couple days later...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:54 pm

zzand and bmw - I see other news outlets including propaganda-posing-as-news Fox have now chosen to support CNN on this matter.

As I said - decided it would be an attractive PR move - since nobody has money to burn.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Trump will probably lose this one... the circumstances were shady as all get out for taking it away and Trump looks like a thin skinned wuss in all of this. Acosta has had his first and fifth amendment rights violated and while they can bar a reporter there has to be a compelling reason (safety) that forfeits the first amendment rights and he is entitled due process from the fifth amendment via Robert Sherrill v. H. Stuart Knight, 1977. So they can ask a court to revoke it by submitting a request in writing with a compelling reason but they cannot simply revoke it at will. I don’t see a compelling risk to having Acosta there, simply an annoyance. That isn’t a legal reason, just irritating.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:34 pm

While I appreciate being included in a comment, I was just adding to the conversation. I don't care in the least what happens with this. No news media is worth a shit anymore. There was a time when news was just that, the who, what, when, where and why. Now that opinion has replaced straight forward news, be it left or right, I don't give a fizzy beer fart about anything to do with our sub-esteemed news media. So rave on for or against, in the end it doesn't fucking matter.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:43 pm

The federal judge overruled the White House in the case. Trump lost.
Expect a long, simmering slow burn from Huckleberry and Trump every time Acosta walks in the room. Sweet.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:43 pm
Expect a long, simmering slow burn from Huckleberry and Trump every time Acosta walks in the room. Sweet.
Best of all the judge was a Trump appointee...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:11 pm

The whole danged works of them there media are the enemies of the people.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:11 pm

The whole danged works of them there media are the enemies of the people.
Dat gummit I think yer right...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Take THAT, Vlad-the-Invader! And your American puppet, too!! This ain’t no Russia, Sarah Hick-a-bot. And make sure your grabby intern knows.

Here come da judge! Oh yeah.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 am

Not exactly a big victory for Acosta and CNN - it is only a 14-day TRO, and it was based only on due process with no opinion stated on whether Acosta's First Amendment rights were violated.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:20 am

I'd love to see how Judge Kelly would react, and what he would do, if someone acted the way Acosta did at the press conference in his courtroom.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic