Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 7-23-2017 at 8:30p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Detroit Pay-TV IT

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
rugratsonline

Re: Detroit Pay-TV IT

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote: The whole concept seemed flawed to me. Who the heck would pay serious $$$ to watch a UHF station with a snowy picture? No wonder it failed.
Apparently it worked in the college towns of Ann Arbor and East Lansing, where channel 31's A-grade signal reached. But when cable became available, viewers would rather have a wider selection of entertainment, rather than just one channel a few hours a day.
MWmetalhead wrote: Was this a service offered in multiple markets across the nation?
In terms of IT, the only other city was Tulsa, Oklahoma:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMYT-TV

As for the concept in general, many major cities offered it off and on as early as the 1960s, but mostly during the late-1970s through the mid-1980s, when the popularity of channels such as HBO and Showtime blossomed, but cable TV was still not available where they lived. But when cable came to town, the era of aerial pay TV began to wane.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:Actually the transmitter is in Lenawee County, in Fairfield Township.
Furthermore, Lenawee County is the only Michigan county within the Toledo market:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... on_markets
Kinda worked out well for the owners of WLMB in the end I suppose. Funny thinking I can walk a half-mile right to the state line and I'm in Detroit's TV market!
rugratsonline wrote:Apparently by then, they were part of the "Wireless Cable" trend of the late-1980s and early-1990s, when a small selection of cable channels and locals (depending on area) were broadcast on microwave. They all but dried up by the end of the 1990s when the small-dish satellite services became available.
My town had one of these.
http://www.vintagetoledotv.com/vintage- ... y/19784740

Speaking of Ann Arbor, I was impressed to find this vid!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2PnqUDuk8Q

Splouge
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Post by Splouge » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:48 am

The Constant Browser wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:33 pm
It was broadcast on Ch 31 Ann Arbor which was WIHT then (In Home Theatre). The transmitter was actually near Chelsea, with a satellite repeater on Ch48 in St. Clair Shores. At one time it was scrambled 24 hours a day. They used a much more secure system called SSAVI, then what was used for ON-TV.
Wasn't Ch48 a translator?
One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Splouge wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:48 am
It was broadcast on Ch 31 Ann Arbor which was WIHT then (In Home Theatre). The transmitter was actually near Chelsea, with a satellite repeater on Ch48 in St. Clair Shores. At one time it was scrambled 24 hours a day. They used a much more secure system called SSAVI, then what was used for ON-TV.
Yes it was -- W48AV. It remained a repeater of what would become WPXD until a couple of years ago, when it was sold to another broadcaster (forgot who).

Splouge
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Post by Splouge » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:15 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:20 pm
Splouge wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:48 am
Yes it was -- W48AV. It remained a repeater of what would become WPXD until a couple of years ago, when it was sold to another broadcaster (forgot who).
It was sold to Daystar, who took WUDT off the air while W48AV became Detroit's Daystar affilate, I'm pretty sure it broadcasted on UHF 23. After a year of this, W48AV went off the air and their license was cancelled. And now WUDT is back on the air.
One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic