Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WPON Update - 2017

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
1027BrianFM

Re: WPON Update - 2017

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:04 am

I have a feeling WPON is goner.

RonTMD

Post by RonTMD » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 am

The WPON saga is close to the heart of a lot of radio guys and gals who put in time on the 3rd floor of the old Riker Building, back when suburban A.M.'s made good money with M.O.R. formats, and WPON was "Making Waves All Over Oakland County", as Oakland County Radio. A lot of names from Detroit radio's past, passed through that operation. For years the midday show came from a permanent remote at the (long since defunct) Pontiac Mall, and PM Drive from 'the big red pumpkin'; the moniker we lovingly gave the remote truck. The station sold for a million dollars in '77; that's well over $4m in today's dollars. Other owners discovered the transmitter site (Telegraph & Square Lake Roads) was worth that much, although it was a bank that actually sold it. My last visit to the site was in '89 or '90. I happened to notice the transmitter building still there, behind a theater parking lot. It was open and trashed. Inside was the Diplomat console, cart machines, transmitters without copper, and piles of logs (I found my own signature). It was sickening to see. The history since is even worse. Can BBC make a go of it? MW is right. There's not a chance. WPON belongs in the history books. As a suburban Detroit A.M., it was one of the best.
When it rains ... you get wet

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:43 am

RonTMD wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 am
The WPON saga is close to the heart of a lot of radio guys and gals who put in time on the 3rd floor of the old Riker Building, back when suburban A.M.'s made good money with M.O.R. formats, and WPON was "Making Waves All Over Oakland County", as Oakland County Radio. A lot of names from Detroit radio's past, passed through that operation. For years the midday show came from a permanent remote at the (long since defunct) Pontiac Mall, and PM Drive from 'the big red pumpkin'; the moniker we lovingly gave the remote truck. The station sold for a million dollars in '77; that's well over $4m in today's dollars. Other owners discovered the transmitter site (Telegraph & Square Lake Roads) was worth that much, although it was a bank that actually sold it. My last visit to the site was in '89 or '90. I happened to notice the transmitter building still there, behind a theater parking lot. It was open and trashed. Inside was the Diplomat console, cart machines, transmitters without copper, and piles of logs (I found my own signature). It was sickening to see. The history since is even worse. Can BBC make a go of it? MW is right. There's not a chance. WPON belongs in the history books. As a suburban Detroit A.M., it was one of the best.
Incredibly well said.

Too many milked the value out of the property until nothing remained.

I was involved when they moved it from Telegraph to the sticks.....and the owners expected metro detroit / downriver coverage from it.

Too much money, not enough understanding of science.

Sadly, every region has several of these stories.....and in another 30 or so years, they will all be forgotten.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:19 am

RonTMD wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 am
A handful of carts, a few reels, a box or two of promo LP's and 45's, and a few scattered pieces of equipment (cart machines and reel-to-reels) were all that made it from the Pontiac studio to the Franklin Road studio in Bloomfield Township when I was there last in 2001. I kept the records.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:04 am
Any further updates in the next few weeks should show up at the bottom of the right column on this page at this link:
https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=WPON&c ... type=LICEN

Took a peek there today August 31, 2017 and another note has been added dated August 30, 2017:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.ex ... _num=22045

AN EMERGENCY STA IS REQUIRED AS WPON MUST RETURN TO THE AIR BY SEPTEMBER 14, 2017. CURRENTLY, WPON HAS A CONSTRUCTION TO BUILD OUT ITS NEW FACILITY (SEE BP-20150330AAI). AS THIS COUNSEL HAS PREVIOUSLY AS PREVIOUSLY ADVISED TO THE COMMISSION, THE LICENSEE HAD HOPED THAT CONSTRUCTION WOULD BE INITIATED EARLIER BUT THERE HAD BEEN UNFORESEEN ZONING DELAYS. THESE ZONING ISSUES HAVE BEEN OVERCOME AND CONSTRUCTION HAS BEGUN, BUT THE CONSTRUCTION ON THE NEW WPON FACILITY WILL NOT BE COMPLETED BY THE SEPTEMBER 14TH DEADLINE. BECAUSE OF THE PENDING ONE YEAR DEADLINE, THE LICENSEE HAS ONCE AGAIN COORDINATED WITH ITS CONTRACT ENGINEER TO RETURN THE STATION TO THE AIR VIA AN EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM. THIS SYSTEM HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY APPROVED BY THE STAFF AND AN IDENTICAL SYSTEM WILL BE USED HERE AGAIN. ATTACHED HERETO IS THE LAST STA.

THE TECHNICAL DATA FOR THE STA STATION IS AS FOLLOWS:

GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION: 42-32-40.30 NL X 83-33-35.26 WL

FREQUENCY: 1460 KHZ
HOURS OF OPERATION: DAYTIME ONLY
ANTENNA TYPE: 30-FOOT TEMPORARY MAST
OVERALL HEIGHT: 9.144 METERS
OPERATING POWER: 25 WATTS
ANTENNA EFFICIENCY: UNKNOWN

UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES, THE LICENSEE RESPECTFULLY REQUESTS 90 DAYS IN WHICH TO OPERATE UNDER THIS INSTANT REQUEST.

rst599

Post by rst599 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:30 pm

Sounds like they're using a ham transceiver modified to operate out of band. (On some, it's as simple as clipping a jumper to allow operation on MARS frequencies.) A 100 watt rig will do 25 watts AM. The coordinates map to the new site.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

The FCC Letter To Birach Broadcasting

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/c ... r_id=78706

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:38 pm

"Notwithstanding the grant of this STA or the expiration date specified herein, the station's license will expire as a matter of law if broadcast operations do not commence by 12:0 1 a.m., September 14, 2017"

Has WPON returned to the air, if even from a temporary low power transmitter?

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Captain Rock wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:38 pm
"Notwithstanding the grant of this STA or the expiration date specified herein, the station's license will expire as a matter of law if broadcast operations do not commence by 12:0 1 a.m., September 14, 2017"

Has WPON returned to the air, if even from a temporary low power transmitter?
I thought about this last night as the clock struck 12:01 am. This situation is confusing for a couple of reasons:

1. The 25 watt operation specifies DAYTIME ONLY. How do you resume operations at 12:01 am in the middle of the night.

2. Looking at this link again:

Look at the bottom of the right column again where there is now another entry:

Resumption of Operations Accepted for Filing 09/11/2017 but not yet granted like the entries above it.

With all that said I drove as close to the site today during the DAYTIME and picked up no signal. Here is where the confusion comes. First there is the deadline then there is the "Special Temporary Authority Granted 08/31/2017". Finally there is the Resumption of Operations Accepted For Filing. If Accepted but not yet granted means anything is all I can guess for the absense of a signal at this time.

My question for some of you is how far in miles can we expect a 25 watt signal to reach.

Lastly, we'll see what happens if the Resumption of Operations is granted in a few days.

The Constant Browser

Post by The Constant Browser » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:29 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 pm

My question for some of you is how far in miles can we expect a 25 watt signal to reach.

Probably about the same coverage as your typical Traveller Information Station (TIS) or community stations that a number of suburban cities have on the air between 1600-1700 kHz.

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 pm

I'd say no more than 15-20 miles, maybe 25 at the absolute most on a great day.
~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:24 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 pm
Looking at this link again:

Look at the bottom of the right column again where there is now another entry:

Resumption of Operations Accepted for Filing 09/11/2017 but not yet granted like the entries above it.
And now dated yesterday:

Resumption of Operations Granted 09/18/2017

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:32 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:04 am
Any further updates in the next few weeks should show up at the bottom of the right column on this page at this link:

Well another entry and I see it but I cannot believe it:

Silent STA Accepted for Filing 09/20/2017

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.ex ... _num=22045

STATION WPON WAS TAKEN SILENT ON 9/11/2017. CURRENTLY, WPON HAS A CONSTRUCTION PERMIT TO BUILD OUT ITS NEW FACILITY (SEE BP-20150330AAI). THE ZONING DELAYS THAT HAD LEAD TO THE DELAY IN THE BEGINNING OF THE PROJECT HAVE NOW BEEN APPROVED. UNFORTUNATELY, THE CONSTRUCTION ON THE NEW WPON FACILITY HAS NOW BEEN HELD UP BY AN UNFORESEEN DISPUTE WITH THE LAND OWNER WHICH HAS PREVENTED THE PROJECT FROM CONTINUING. AS SUCH, THE LICENSEE RESPECTFULLY REQUESTS A 90 DAY SILENT AUTHORITY IN ORDER TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE SO THAT THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW FACILITY CAN RESUME, AND THE STATION CAN THEN RETURN TO THE AIR.

All right another question to all of you is this a con job? Is this another stall technique to avoid the capital outlay of getting the job done or what is your thinking of what the hell is going on.

rst599

Post by rst599 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:50 pm

It's stretching things a bit to expect that 0.025 kW (25 watts) into a 0.045-wavelength (30-foot) vertical would render what could be called "service" to the community of license.

Howard Weiss of the communications law firm Fletcher, Heald and Hildreth observed recently in a blog post about the Commission's treatment of stations that remain silent for nearly all of their license term:
...In a footnote (watch out for those lurking footnotes!) it lumped under-power operation in the same category as non-operation: “If the power level is too low to provide the minimum signal level required under the Rules for service to a station’s community of license, this type of operation is the functional equivalent of silence.”
If my figures are close, the facility above at the CP site has an inverse distance field of 13.4 mV/m at one km, which over 8 mS/m ground would put only 1.1 mV/m over the entire city of license - well below the 5 mV/m contour required by 73.24 (the distance to the 5 mV/m contour is about a mile and three-quarters and encompasses less than half of the area, and certainly less than half of the population, of the COL).

So even their emergency facility would appear to meet the Commission's criteria for being the "functional equivalent of silence".

The ramifications for the station (cited in the blog post) that failed to operate during its license term was a short-term license (two years instead of eight). As Weiss observes, "(i)n the Commission’s view, a broadcast license carries with it an implicit obligation actually to broadcast."

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:27 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Well another entry and I see it but I cannot believe it:

Silent STA Accepted for Filing 09/20/2017

UNFORTUNATELY, THE CONSTRUCTION ON THE NEW WPON FACILITY HAS NOW BEEN HELD UP BY AN UNFORESEEN DISPUTE WITH THE LAND OWNER WHICH HAS PREVENTED THE PROJECT FROM CONTINUING. AS SUCH, THE LICENSEE RESPECTFULLY REQUESTS A 90 DAY SILENT AUTHORITY IN ORDER TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE SO THAT THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW FACILITY CAN RESUME, AND THE STATION CAN THEN RETURN TO THE AIR.
Note that Birach appears to be leasing this new location putting him in a dispute already. Common sense dictates purchasing your own land might make more sense. What happens if at some point the owner of the property chooses not to renew the lease because he wants to sell the land. I think you can guess. The net result is that because of the way Birach operates this station it has to be portable at the transmitting point.

Note above that the Silent STA Accepted for Filing has been Accepted but not yet GRANTED as of today's date October 10, 2017.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:52 am

Depends how the lease is written. It could be iron clad for the lessor.

There is too few details at this point. I agree, buying or leasing with an option to buy is smart.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:27 am

Note that Birach appears to be leasing this new location putting him in a dispute already. Common sense dictates purchasing your own land might make more sense. What happens if at some point the owner of the property chooses not to renew the lease because he wants to sell the land. I think you can guess. The net result is that because of the way Birach operates this station it has to be portable at the transmitting point.
It should also be noted that the previous site (Walled Lake) was right next to a new condo development. The day came when said development decided to expand pushing Birach off the property. This happened in 2010. Look how many years this station has been off the air.

Claymed

Post by Claymed » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:56 pm

I'm surprised at home much traffic and how many responses this post gets for being a AM station that most people couldn't pick up

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:29 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am
SixPlusOne wrote:

It should also be noted that the previous site (Walled Lake) was right next to a new condo development. The day came when said development decided to expand pushing Birach off the property. This happened in 2010. Look how many years this station has been off the air.
We knew in 2000 that time was limited for the Benstein Road site. I believe Dr. Zaparackas had a 25-year lease on the site.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:31 pm

KeenerGold wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:29 pm
SixPlusOne wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am
SixPlusOne wrote:

We knew in 2000 that time was limited for the Benstein Road site. I believe Zaparackas had a 25-year lease on the site.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic