Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Governor Gretchen Whitmer

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 10525

Governor Gretchen Whitmer

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:35 pm

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/01/gret ... ernor.html

A new year a new start, good to see the past 8 years of Synder go into the dumpster. Hard to say what will happen but best of luck to the new governor.

Turkeytop

Re: Governor Gretchen Whitmer

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:58 pm

Living in Ontario, I know little about Michigan Politics. But, when I hear Snyder's name, two things come to mind. Poisoned water and Right to Work.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:07 pm

Just here to get the obligatory "Gretch Holm" crack in.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:13 pm

i'm outside looking in, but down here those are the 2 things that stand out as well. RTW and poison water.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Hopefully she delivers on fixing the damn roads. I have high hopes for her. Only time will tell.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:18 pm

I'm hoping for the best for the State. I also know that all that needs to be done has to go through the same party that tried to neuter the authority of the elected officials put in place to do the job.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:57 pm

I'd like to take this opportunity to compliment Rick Snyder on how he handled his last couple months in office.

Overall, I certainly still view his gubernatorial term with disfavor, but it wasn't all bad.

He could've rubber stamped all the lame duck bills that landed on his desk over the past several weeks. Instead, he gave each piece of legislation careful consideration. I certainly don't agree with all of the decisions he made on those bills, but I do agree with his decisions on the vast majority of the more controversial bills.

Secondly, he could've exploited his lame-duck status to pardon his high level officials who are facing charges in connection with the Flint water & legionnaires crises. He certainly said some things prior to November's election that made me worry he would indeed consider pardoning these people. To his credit, he chose not to go down that path during his final days in office.

Finally, I appreciate the fact he negotiated what appears to be a reasonable resolution to Line 5-related risks. A concrete utilities tunnel + enhanced monitoring in the interim are measures I can certainly support.

A full deactivation of Line 5 is also something I could consider supporting, but those who strongly support that option have provided no data surrounding economic impacts.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:28 pm

Snyder might be banned from many restaurants in Ann Arbor because of his lame duck signatures. It's going to be harder to live in A2 for him, he'll have to camp out at Barton Hills CC.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:41 pm

Im definitely not a Democrat, so I liked RTW. I dont want to belong to a group that forcibly uses MY money to fundraise candidates and causes I not only disagree with, but suspect will harm my industry in the long run (if you think the UAW is being helped by a group wanting to push for fewer cars and more public transit, "idiot" is too gentle a word)

If you think Snyder intentionally poisoned the water, Id like to sell you my oceanfront desert property in Kentucky.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:41 pm

....all that said, Whitmer is kinda cute for her age....

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:55 am

Well.. I hope she makes the most of the next 4 years. Meanwhile... down here, Jan 14 we get Mike "I've held every state wide office" Dewine. :rolleyes

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:53 am

TheForce wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:47 pm
Hopefully she delivers on fixing the damn roads. I have high hopes for her. Only time will tell.
Her slogan should have been "more barrels in more places".

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:27 pm

I thought Snyder did a reasonable job overall. He certainly botched his part in the Flint water crisis but in my opinion that disaster was decades in the making as Flint leaders ran their Government into insolvency and emergency managers.

I voted for Gretchen mostly because, as an independent, I saw her as less offensive than the other guy. I'm willing to give her a chance and hope her deeds are worthy of a second term.....but time will tell.
She talks a good bipartisan game but she doesn't have much choice given the republican hold on the legislature.

I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:13 pm

Whitmer and Nessel are already doing some things I do not like.

There is a good editorial in today's Detroit News (online) regarding Line 5. I share their concerns regarding Nessel & Whitmer's actions.

Nessel wants to take Todd Flood out of the Flint Water prosecutorial process, and potentially, replace him with Kym Worthy, who is the Wayne County Prosecutor. Seems to me changing the special prosecutor this late in the game, as trials are set to begin, would be a foolish move. Stepping in & preparing for trial would require a tremendous amount of work. Would Worthy's staff also have to work on Flint in addition to the routine matters in which they are charged? Seems to me that would be unfair to taxpayers in Wayne County.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:52 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:13 pm
Whitmer and Nessel are already doing some things I do not like.

There is a good editorial in today's Detroit News (online) regarding Line 5. I share their concerns regarding Nessel & Whitmer's actions.

Nessel wants to take Todd Flood out of the Flint Water prosecutorial process, and potentially, replace him with Kym Worthy, who is the Wayne County Prosecutor. Seems to me changing the special prosecutor this late in the game, as trials are set to begin, would be a foolish move. Stepping in & preparing for trial would require a tremendous amount of work. Would Worthy's staff also have to work on Flint in addition to the routine matters in which they are charged? Seems to me that would be unfair to taxpayers in Wayne County.
Perhaps Worthy is seen as tougher than Flood?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic