Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Predicitions for Detroit radio for 2017

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
1027BrianFM

Re: Predicitions for Detroit radio for 2017

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:13 am

If anyone were to enter the sports fray again, it would be 106.7 simulcasting WDFN. I just don't see The cloud or R1 doing something like that. No way again on 105.1fm.

105.1 will probably evolve into like a Rhythmic CHR or even strait ahead Urban eventually.

98.7 will go AC I think.

EMF makes a buy.

SpartanAM

Post by SpartanAM » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:09 am

Could WDFN pick up an FM translator? Do translators count for the market cap?
She's got the tower... She's got the power...

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:17 am

WRCJ will become classical 24/7.
DPTV will purchase/acquire another FM frequency.
98.7 will become a simulcast of WWJ.
93.1 will be spun off from Cumulus and become Contemporary Christian AC.
FM interference amidst Detroit and Windsor frequencies will become a visible and charged political issue.

Nationally, but affecting Detroit, Cumulus will file for bankruptcy protection.

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:19 pm

I note no one mentioned talent.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:25 pm

My local predictions are as follows:
-There will be a merger or divestiture of some kind that affects at least one Detroit cluster. Either in 2017 or 2018, the number of commercial FM station owners in Detroit will decrease by one.
-105.1 will discontinue its affiliation with the Pistons after this season. Later this year, 105.1 will begin to incorporate some recurrents into its playlist. Ratings will stabilize around a 3 share in ages 6+.
-106.7 The D will evolve into either an Adult Hits or Classic Hits station but will retain "The D" moniker.
-Radio One will continue to go through GM's and PD's like candy, just like the past several years (more like 10+ years).
-Guy Gordon's new show at WJR will prove successful
-The Patriot will continue to have a microscopic audience. However, the translator at 101.5 MHz will survive. iFart will not challenge its existence.
-Substantial on-air and off-air job losses will affect CBS Radio
-CHR/Pop will survive on 98.7 FM, but the station will rebrand. The aim will be to make the station more amenable to female listeners over the age of 25.
-89X will limp along with its horrible on-air staff and even shittier playlist.

National predictions:
-Sirius XM will enter into a definitive agreement to acquire Pandora, subject to approval by the Feds.
-New FCC Chairman will propose removing newspaper/TV/radio cross-ownership ban
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

kbg

Post by kbg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:My local predictions are as follows:
-There will be a merger or divestiture of some kind that affects at least one Detroit cluster. Either in 2017 or 2018, the number of commercial FM station owners in Detroit will decrease by one.
-105.1 will discontinue its affiliation with the Pistons after this season. Later this year, 105.1 will begin to incorporate some recurrents into its playlist. Ratings will stabilize around a 3 share in ages 6+.
-106.7 The D will evolve into either an Adult Hits or Classic Hits station but will retain "The D" moniker.
-Radio One will continue to go through GM's and PD's like candy, just like the past several years (more like 10+ years).
-The Patriot will continue to have a microscopic audience. However, the translator at 101.5 MHz will survive. iFart will not challenge its existence.
-CHR/Pop will survive on 98.7 FM, but the station will rebrand. The aim will be to make the station more amenable to female listeners over the age of 25.

National predictions:
-Sirius XM will enter into a definitive agreement to acquire Pandora, subject to approval by the Feds.

That's a pretty good list. Guy Gordon's won't do any better than Savage ratings. But it shouldn't do any worse.
I agree the Bounce will drop the Pistons and I'll predict they end up on WWJ or WJR.
I'll add that NASH will flip formats. I predict they'll do it before AMP leaving AMP to continue with the current format. If WDVD and WNIC continue to battle for the nostalgia of 1985 and the 45 year old female, I agree with you that gives AMP a great chance to rebrand and get the 30-40 year old female to listen.
I predict Cumulus will file BK and shed smaller stations and/or the new CBS will swap with Cumulus. Detroit will be in play for both companies.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:40 pm

According to radioinsight.com, someone is either playing games with URL registrations for the Detroit market (certainly wouldn't be the first time), or someone is contemplating a format flip.

Reading between the lines of their tease, the perpetrator appears to be iFart.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:50 am

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/netg ... o-detroit/

WWJ-FM 98.7fm PLEASE!!! :) Hoping anyway. Only other thing I can think of and its so remote to even mention it, would be WJR on 93.1fm.

If its I-heart then the D could be getting flushed down the toi toi for a simulcast of WDFN. Or... nothing could happen and its all bullshit.

radiodoc

Post by radiodoc » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:44 pm

IMO ...
If a new news/talk format comes to FM, WWJ will be finished.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:17 pm

WWJ isn't a news/talk station. It's an all-news station that is fast paced and very much headline driven.

FM news/talk would likely have only a minor effect on WWJ, even if it has a heavily local programming angle.

WJR and 97.1 would be at greater risk of share loss. It's unlikely either would see big losses.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Last edited by 1027BrianFM on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Consider this - WDFN 1130's "doomsday" (where almost their entire local on-air staff was fired) occurred on Inauguration Day, 2009.

Wouldn't it be something if iFart launched an FM Sports station on Inauguration Day, 2017?

I cannot see THAT happening, though. The Wolverines inked a new deal with CBS recently, the Lions inked their deal with Cumulus less than a year ago, and the Tigers & Wings re-upped with CBS not that long ago.

A News/Talk outlet anchored by the likes of Drew Lane, for example, would have a chance at being successful. However, if iFart were to overload it with syndie content, it would flop miserably.

Corporate radio conglomerates tend to be slow learners and often disregard lessons from others' past mistakes.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:05 pm

No, if 106.7 goes WDFN-FM, if they just think there going to air Fox sports 16 hours of the day there going to flop like 105.1 did. There going to have to get local talent if they want to make a dent in 97.1. If it were to happen, the pistons would be there only real shot for awhile. The D is kind of a non factor to 101.1 and 94.7 but its not a total waste. Sports could be a slow build.

Hot talk isn't really a big format anymore, Another right wing squawk box would go down in flames too. I think one of the biggest blunders was NOT moving WDFN to 106.7 back around 2006. Instead, in a totally short sighted moved made 106.7 a country station again which I knew was going to flop.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:03 am

After The Drive withered away and seeing the trend in other markets, My thought was "someone got it wrong here" when they launched The Fox.

105.1, they thought ESPN and Drew Lane alone would carry the day, Just as the idea at 97.1 being Howard stern would carry a very generic sounding rock station. Nothing wrong with getting a high profile talent from a competitor but don't base the whole format around it.

Syndicated shows on a full market FM signal are fine overnights or maybe a couple day parts but Afternoons and mornings you need local talent. In his Hypothetical scenario, if they launch with 24/7 Fox sports feed they will be out of the format in 9 months. I question if IHeart would want to put time and money into building a format like this. Might be a good theory of why Sports on the FM was passed up.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Revisiting my earlier predictions:

-There will be a merger or divestiture of some kind that affects at least one Detroit cluster. Either in 2017 or 2018, the number of commercial FM station owners in Detroit will decrease by one. (The first half of this prediction has already come true.)

(Too soon to tell.)

(No action yet.)

(No action yet.)

(Too soon to tell.)

(As far as I can tell, no motion has been filed with the FCC by iHeart to force 101.5 The Patriot off the air.)

(We'll see what happens as the year moves along; this will likely be a fourth quarter occurrence.)

(With Entercom likely taking over late this year, it's a possibility.)

(So far, so good on this one.)

National predictions:
(No action yet.)

(This appears to be a strong possibility.)

Smirnoff

Post by Smirnoff » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Fact: More will permanently switch over to Pandora or other internet radio competitors....

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Can you help me out, B? I'm not a member and this sounds juicy. Any word on what the domain is?
Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Take DFN to 106.7, sell/shut down 1130, and you still cover your M25-54 demo. No music royalties to pay, and it'll probably still be 16-20 hours a day off the bird.
Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:12 pm

I'm not member either :lol , so I was figured maybe someone else was.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic