Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Predicitions for Detroit radio for 2017

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
1027BrianFM

Re: Predicitions for Detroit radio for 2017

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:55 am

They might as well spin 1130 off to a religious or minority broadcaster. Total non factor.

I was going to comment on 106.7 the D now that its been mentioned. They are sounding more classic hitish now, They had been playing Fleetwood mac's "go your own way" The Tubes "shes a beauty" as examples.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:49 am

Cleveland's 106.5 The Lake is highly successful. However, if you plop a replica on 106.7 here, it would eat into 100.3's numbers big time.

Such a station in Detroit would have to skew older and play less female friendly pop to avoid hurting 100.3.

The result would likely be a boring station that sounds a lot like the old 93.1. Or maybe a variety rock station similar to 100.7 in San Diego.

Alternatively, WNIC could tighten its playlist and lean heavily on post-2K female friendly pop hits, but why screw up a good thing? WNIC is posting its best ratings in many years right now. The only reason iFart would wound NIC is to stave off a full-on assault from, say, CBS/Entercom.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

radiofan

Post by radiofan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:19 pm

"They might as well spin 1130 off to a religious or minority broadcaster."

Heyyy! Leave my 1130 alone. Shep in the morning is much better than Stoney & Jamie, and I'll take Henson and his sidekicks in the afternoon over Mr. Nasty all day, every day. I may be in the minority on that, but give us some choice out here.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:14 am

CC blew it on not moving the fan to the FM, epic fail. WDFN is sort of "what could have been".

Every music format 106.7 has had since W4 country went off hasn't worked. The D is probably the most successful one. I think News/talk is plausible, they would probably have to lure Hannity away from 1400 IMO. They could be waiting for CBS to make a move, this might be why I've been hearing lighter stuff on The D as of late.

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:31 am

I agree with most that have been written. But let’s look at what is happening in other markets. WTOP-FM All News is consistently #1 commercial station book after book (NPR station #1) and ranks as one of the top grossing stations in the country. We aren’t Washington DC but a simulcast of WWJ would be a smart move. As an aside in Ann Arbor WWJ-AM at dusk barely can be heard. WWJ FM would work well.

WJR as MW notes will become more and more local as other Cumulus AM stations are doing. WJR is the #1 rank of AM station owned by Cumulus and no others are close. As a result, WJR will air less conservative talk. This leaves a major market hole and someone will pick-up the conservative format. By the way some Cumulus stations running Rush dropped the show. Other stations in the market picked it up.

Sports: We have more stations airing sports than NY, LA and Chicago. Why do we have so many? I think it’s due to lack of creative programming in our market v. others. Yeah Detroit is a sports town so are many others.

Most markets have formats we don’t have. One is an Alternative. Yes, I know CIMX programed by Iheart is Alternative and even in Windsor they have tiny ratings. It ain’t working. Our group owners could pick-up the format and add a unique format, different demos to the stable. Again, if the format works in other markets why shouldn’t work here. One of the goals for cluster groups is to mix different demos along with profitability.

Another is AAA. It works in other markets why not us?

We’ve had a variety of Jazz stations and all are gone but for me never had pure Jazz. WRCJ is a Jazz station evenings and overnight and plays true Jazz. African Americans gave birth to Jazz and our population is 22% Black. How you program it and a good brand no reason to capture some ears. The station could also sprinkle some Blues in.

The Hispanic market is at the top of the list for programing stations nationally; seems they have a conference monthly. The State of Michigan is ranked 12 of Hispanic people. A strong Spanish station incorporating sports in Spanish to be would be worthwhile.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:40 pm

As far as Spanish goes, I think we will have to see where 1310am goes. I don't think Detroit is quite ready for a full time Spanish format on the FM.

Detroit is more blue collar then a lot of other major cities, typically that format doesn't attract that audience as its seen as too obscure or artsy fartsy. I do like the Idea of WWJ on the FM.

106.7, all 80s comes to mind. The all 80s format, albeit in a small way has pooped up again in some other spots. Why not give it a shot here maybe.

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:17 am

I forgot to mention a very significant format/station WOMC. In every major market except Chicago a top 5 station is Classic Hits like us. With the high ratings why hasn't someone come in to grab a piece. I do not the WNIC has gone up maybe stealing some of 'OMC ears.

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Is Alan Cox still doing morning drive on 106.7? Of course, he is still based in Cleveland, doing his afternoon drive talk show on WMMS.

I don't see them cloning WMMS there (drive time talk/sports PBP/rock otherwise). If they didn't do it with Alan Cox there before now...

And yes, 106.5 The Lake is VERY successful here. The station has been at or near the top of the Cleveland ratings since it flipped from Mix 106.5...

Inundated

Re: RE: Re: Predicitions for Detroit radio for 2017

Post by Inundated » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:57 pm

rizzman87 wrote:Yes we do have a lot of "sports" stations but with the exception of the Ticket the rest of them are mostly national talk. I know Boston and New York have 2 local sports stations. I know i'm picky but I want my local sports talk damnit
Entercom will own both of them in Boston after the CBS merger, assuming they keep both WEEI and 98.5 and keep them both in format...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 18, 2017 11:02 am

My earlier prediction regarding Sirius/XM might very well come true:

https://nypost.com/2017/05/17/siriusxm- ... g-pandora/
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 18, 2017 11:05 am

Revisiting my other predictions:

-There will be a merger or divestiture of some kind that affects at least one Detroit cluster. Either in 2017 or 2018, the number of commercial FM station owners in Detroit will decrease by one. (No action yet.)

-105.1 will discontinue its affiliation with the Pistons after this season. Later this year, 105.1 will begin to incorporate some recurrents into its playlist. Ratings will stabilize around a 3 share in ages 6+.
(I was correct regarding the Pistons; they are done @ 105.1 MHz. However, 105.1's ratings - at least so far - have been substantially better than I expected.)

-106.7 The D will evolve into either an Adult Hits or Classic Hits station but will retain "The D" moniker.
(No action yet.)

-Radio One will continue to go through GM's and PD's like candy, just like the past several years (more like 10+ years).
(No action yet.)

-Guy Gordon's new show at WJR will prove successful
(Too soon to tell.)

-The Patriot will continue to have a microscopic audience. However, the translator at 101.5 MHz will survive. iFart will not challenge its existence.
(Correct.)

-Substantial on-air and off-air job losses will affect CBS Radio
(We'll see what happens as the year moves along; this will likely be a fourth quarter occurrence.)

-CHR/Pop will survive on 98.7 FM, but the station will rebrand. The aim will be to make the station more amenable to female listeners over the age of 25.
(With Entercom likely taking over late this year, it's a possibility.)

-89X will limp along with its horrible on-air staff and even shittier playlist.
(I was wrong here. The playlist remains a piece of shit but the airstaff has been overhauled completely.)

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Mon May 22, 2017 4:08 pm

106.7fm, hmm? could Rhythmic AC make a return? Maybe with more gold based tracks as to not cannibalize 95.5? The Beat's ratings weren't through the roof but I felt they had something. CHR a few years back was riding high, more so then today. Detroit really isn't "Detroit rock city" anymore. WRIF and WCSX do fine but 106.7 really is a non factor to them. Personally I don't mind The D, its better then WXKR down here in Toledo but the station as of late sounds lost.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:11 pm

I have inside news from a source I cannot say, to finally end this rumour and all the speculation.
106.7 the D is NOT changing formats.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Tue May 23, 2017 1:01 am

Well that was one of the stupidest things, then Clear Channel ever did. Not putting WDFN on 106.7, All we got was The fox which was a piss poor attempt at county.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 23, 2017 8:46 am

I suspect the Pistons will return to CBS - either AM 950 or AM 1270. If the former, whenever there's a conflict with the Wolverines, the Pistons would likely get bumped to 1270.

However, I would not at all rule out AM 910 becoming the new home for the Pistons. Under such an arrangement, the Pistons would likely to purchase the air time, sell all ad inventory, and produce their own broadcasts.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Tue May 23, 2017 11:06 am

Why won't Cumulus just pull the plug on GNash, sign the Pistons to a rights deal and flip 93.1 to sports? Having Lions Football, Pistons Basketball and the Spartans isn't a great stable of teams, but it certainly beats what Greater Media had when they flipped 105.1 to sports.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 26, 2017 11:48 am

Stopnswop2 - you're either clueless or a liar. 106.7 flipped this morning. It's been in the works for many weeks.

So, another one of my start-of-year predictions just came true! :)

Not only did I correctly predict the format flip, I also correctly predicted that "The D" moniker would be retained.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Ok, that was rude. So I was lied to by someone working at Iheart. I guess they did't want me leaking as I mentioned to them i use this forum. Or at the time this was not thought of. I was there back in March.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 27, 2017 9:44 pm

I just find it highly amusing that less than five days after you proudly proclaimed that you had "inside news" that the station is not flipping -- it flipped! :lol
I guess they did't want me leaking as I mentioned to them i use this forum.
Umm...yeah, I would say it's probably a safe bet they didn't want someone leaking confidential information on a public message board.

Remember, when 106.7 The D first launched, it was very competitive with WCSX in Men 25-54. For the last few years, WCSX has defeated WDTW-FM handily in that demo. At the same time, there's been an increased appetite in the market for hits from the 80's.

I figured, at some point, 106.7 would either go in the direction it is headed now, that it would flip to Hot AC (so as to damage WDVD), or that it would flip to the iHeart 80's format the company is already using on one of its San Francisco area stations.

WNIC is already doing a good enough job damaging WDVD on its own, so scratch option "b." All-80's on 106.7 would probably be too detrimental to WNIC (who does all 80's weekends fairly often), so scratch option "c." That leaves option "a," which is what I predicted would happen all along.

Now, let's see if 101.3 in Grand Rapids flips. 101.3 The Brew has been a near clone of 106.7 The D (version 1.0) for the past 18 months. And 101.3's ratings are crappier than those of 106.7.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:36 am

Changing subject a little, Could Entercom/CBS flip 98.7 to AC like 96.5fm in Philly? Its been a few years since 100.3 had a competitor, AMP is sounding stale.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic