Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 2-7-2018 at 8:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating newly registered accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

105.1 has flipped - now stunting with Oldies

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
BFSEsq

105.1 has flipped - now stunting with Oldies

Post by BFSEsq » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:48 am

48125er wrote:I listened online today and I actually like this oldies playlist better than WOMC, believe it or not.
I'll bet it's actual oldies. Unfortunately, that doesn't fly on radio anymore. So it ultimately won't be that. But I guess you can listen to WCSX-HD2 anytime (it's just a simulcast of that.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1027BrianFM

Re: 105.1 has flipped - now stunting with Oldies

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:40 am

I think GM thought they could photo copy what they had in Philly and do it in Detroit. Except they did it so half assed, hell keeping Jim Harper and those 2 ladys with him probably could gave done better with sports then a couple of those guys I heard on there and honestly talking sports is like me trying to speak Russian.
Prediction: In the next 6 Months EMF will acquire an FM signal in Detroit.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:55 am

Could the new station's name be Bounce?

www.bounce1051.com
Prediction: In the next 6 Months EMF will acquire an FM signal in Detroit.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:07 am

I hope so!!!! This would mean a format I like.
Riding Amtrak is dangerous.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:08 am

I like the fabric softener, too! (Could Procter & Gamble issue a C&D?)
Riding Amtrak is dangerous.

Smirnoff

Post by Smirnoff » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:43 am

Wonder if those dudes finally realize the constant "legend in their own mind" babble format just didn't work....but some kept repeating over-&-over. :x

BTW: Oldies are working fine - no babbling..... :D

Les Nessman

Post by Les Nessman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:27 am

BFSEsq wrote:I had the urge to come to the Buzzboard once I read about this. Haha. Oh, Detroit Sports 105.1, it's honestly amazing you even lasted as long as you did.

Two thoughts:

1) Stunting really sucks hard nowadays. Remember when stunting was so creative? They're running an HD-2 feed. Good lord.

2) This is Greater Media, who have basically had no clue what to do with this station for years before the flip to sports. I would imagine the new format will be boring, uninspired, and just about completely automated. Zero budget. The return of Today's 105.1: We're Not Quite Sure What We Play Either[TM]?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^^^^ THIS.

GM has a record of doing lousy launches. What appears obvious in this one is they are unprepared. The current playlist is boring as hell and while some may love oldies, they only bring upper demos and very little in the way of sales.
"The radio business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side"

-Hunter S. Thompson

DR99

Post by DR99 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:21 pm

They are going throwback Hip Hop and R&B with the name The Bounce.
https://www.facebook.com/1051TheBounce/

Faymos

Post by Faymos » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:23 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:Could the new station's name be Bounce?

http://www.bounce1051.com
http://1051thebounce.com

Ronaldski

Post by Ronaldski » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:40 pm

How did Detroit Sports 105.1 fail in less than 3 years?
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/2016/ ... /86566076/
My website: www.Tinyurl.com/yq29ss

radiojunkie2002

Post by radiojunkie2002 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:52 pm

I LOVE IT!!!!
Detroit Radio Flashbacks- on Facebook

RadioDork1

Post by RadioDork1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:10 pm

I listened for about a half hour. Not bad...not great. Are they not going to play any 80's hip hop? I would like if they threw in some dance classics and maybe some of the old school stuff 96.3 use to play. I didn't listen too long..but seemed kind of weak to me. I think it could be a great station if done right.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:20 pm

I give it 2 years before they bounce it...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:37 pm

R & B Oldies formats usually burn out fast, as it did before on 105.1. With such limited playlists compared to 50 years ago due to consolidation and centralized programming, there is no such thing as a playlist deep enough but limited to just R & B to not burn out fast. Agree that it will be "bounced" in about two years.

BTW, they weren't even simulcasting WCSX 94.7 HD-2. They were just "sampling" the format. And the WCSX HD-2 format a had a rapid slide down hill even from a month or so ago. They cut out a lot of the mainstream Pop and Rock.
"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:39 pm

audiophile wrote:I give it 2 years before they bounce it...
I'm not so sure. For the first time in a while, I'm hearing a lot of really good responses to this, and it's from people that generally don't even listen to radio much, if at all. There's some serious buzz about this station. What does worry me, though, is like when it was The Groove 15 or so years ago, the playlist started off strong, but as the time passed, it shrunk way down, and became heavy on slow jams. Plus, because of the diverse formatics, it became hard to sell. I believe the terminology was "Too black for the whites, and too white for the blacks", meaning that it wasn't playing certain songs/artists enough to keep black people tuned in, but still wasn't playing enough crossovers to keep white folks happy. I hope the same issue doesn't apply here. Obviously this is not all there is to it; there's going to a lot more tweaking going on. And PLEASE don't let the "novelty factor" wear off from hearing some of these tunes too often!!!

EDIT: I see Arthur and I were pretty much on the same track.
Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

RadioDork1

Post by RadioDork1 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:48 am

I love old school, I guess I'm old..Gold Digger is not old school. Ludacris. ..I get over ten years old is considered classic. No Run DMC. I see the Playlist getting very tired. I don't want to hear Eminem. ..not old school. I'm sorry..throwbacks...you have to play more than shit from as far back '92....I'm a H*** old school rap..dance..fan. If you want this station to work..play the songs 96.3 use to play. Not just strictly. .hip hop artists. If the Beat would of adjusted their Playlist instead of the same shit over and over it might of made it. Tic Tac Toe..B Girls. ..I'm sure I'll get ripped to shreds for this post. .oh well.
Last edited by RadioDork1 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

DR99

Post by DR99 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:44 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
audiophile wrote:I give it 2 years before they bounce it...
I'm not so sure. For the first time in a while, I'm hearing a lot of really good responses to this, and it's from people that generally don't even listen to radio much, if at all. There's some serious buzz about this station. What does worry me, though, is like when it was The Groove 15 or so years ago, the playlist started off strong, but as the time passed, it shrunk way down, and became heavy on slow jams. Plus, because of the diverse formatics, it became hard to sell. I believe the terminology was "Too black for the whites, and too white for the blacks", meaning that it wasn't playing certain songs/artists enough to keep black people tuned in, but still wasn't playing enough crossovers to keep white folks happy. I hope the same issue doesn't apply here. Obviously this is not all there is to it; there's going to a lot more tweaking going on. And PLEASE don't let the "novelty factor" wear off from hearing some of these tunes too often!!!

EDIT: I see Arthur and I were pretty much on the same track.

GenX'ers are starting to hit that spot in life where they are craving nostalgia from their youth. Facebook was loaded about people excited for the station I bet the first few months they have some decent ratings. I might ocasionally listen but I'm more of a classic alt rock kind of guy so I will stick with Lithium on Sirius for now.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:07 am

I "Bounced" till I barfed! :barf (only took less than 15 minutes!) See yo' later Ludacris, Notorius, and 105.1. :x
...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:17 pm

RadioDork1 wrote:I love old school, I guess I'm old..Gold Digger is not old school. Ludacris. ..I get over ten years old is considered classic. No Run DMC. I see the Playlist getting very tired. I don't want to hear Eminem. ..not old school. I'm sorry..throwbacks...you have to play more than shit from as far back '92....I'm a H*** old school rap..dance..fan. If you want this station to work..play the songs 96.3 use to play. Not just strictly. .hip hop artists. If the Beat would of adjusted their Playlist instead of the same shit over and over it might of made it. Tic Tac Toe..B Girls. ..I'm sure I'll get ripped to shreds for this post. .oh well.
This may just be splitting hairs, but there's s difference between "old school" and "throwback". I, too, would love more of those way back tunes. But they've got us on the semantics!
Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

newsguyone

Post by newsguyone » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:54 pm

I heard great things from 105.1.... but never on the radio.
I'd visit sports blogs and see sound files with pretty decent interviews with local sports figures and the beat writers and broadcasters -- people who can give you insight into a team. You know, like when there was a little bit of interviewing and journalism in sports radio.
But whenever I tuned in to the radio station, it was sophomoric stupidity of the lowest degree. Offensive. Racist. Sexist. Absolute garbage.

They should have went all-in on sports reporting and reduced the trash.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic